The Touring Motor Glider Association was formed to exchange technical information, coordinate activities, and share experiences. Our goal is to be the (world-wide) Go-To source for all information about touring motor gliders.
TMGA membership now stands at 420 worldwide TMG enthusiasts, representing twenty-seven (27) countries.
The USA national TMGA fly-in starts July 25. Please register now in the Event tab of the website.
The West coast (USA) regional fly-in (lunch) will be held May 4th at the Harris Ranch airport/restaurant. Please register now in the Event tab of the web site
The East coast TMGA’ers are thinking of an East coast fly-in. See the TMGA website Home page and Events tab
We have official TMGA calendars and window decals for sale. Check the Members section > Merchandise tab.
Recent Accomplishments of the TMGA: Of the 420 world-wide members, 104 are on the TMGA Map. These members fly 15 different TMG models, with Grob pulling in 21, followed by Ximango with 12 and Pipistrel with 9. Other models include: Carat, Diamond, Europa, Fournier, Ogar, Phoenix, Falke, Slingsby, Sonex, Semme, Lambada, and Picolo.
Our goal is to get everyone on the Map...but this depends on you. There is no automatic upload from your original information. Entering the data takes only a few minutes – the hardest point being entering your home airport lat/long points. To enter the data, simply go to the Members > Map section of the web. The data entry box in under the Map. Right now only about 25% of the membership has entered data. Let’s drive that higher ASAP. Get Mapped Today!
Of the 420 worldwide members, 320 reside in the USA and 100 live in twenty- six other countries: from Europe to South America to Africa to Asia. The largest group is England (24), followed by South Africa (16), and Australia (9).
Website Updates – Over the past few months we have been both de- bugging the web site and adding new features, including a New User Checklist and a growing collection Video Tutorials on how to use the website. Many people initially signed up without filling in their profiles or ‘opting in’ to the various community activities. Please come to the website, update your profile, subscribe to the forums and/or connect with the RSS feeds, and join us in our online community. Together we want to build an unparalleled knowledgebase to support each and promote the sport.
2013 (5th Annual) West Coast Touring Motor Glider Fly-In – July 25-28, Minden, NV: We’re now just 3.5 months away from the event. It’s time to sign up, or at least state your intentions – see the Events tab, 2013 Minden section for the Excel spreadsheet.
This year we are anticipating 40 ships on the line! You need to be here.
Perfect weather is guaranteed; after all, it’s Minden, Nevada, with some of the best soaring conditions in the country. If you’re new to mountain and/or high altitude operations, this is the place to learn from the experts. We’ll be holding morning seminars on this subject, as well as others on weather and mechanical issues. If you want some true mountain flying experience in pure glider mode, we suggest you make arrangements with our on-site host – SoaringNV. They’re among the best in the business and best of all...they’re right there to help you.
We’ve made special arrangements with David Walley’s Resort and Spa, so bring your favorite co-pilot. There are also other options. We’re also setting up for a Lake Tahoe dinner cruise. Advance notification is required on the sign-up sheet.
We’ll be again offering aerial photography of your TMG over Lake Tahoe. Due to the required coordination it will be on a first come-first served basis. $100 +/-. What a deal! If you’re interested, please do a posting in the Forum tab, Events section, 2013 fly-in thread. The final per-pilot cost is somewhat determined by the number of sign-ups.
Think about doing a “caravan” from the east or south of the USA. Use the Forum to see who might be interested, and check the sign up sheet.
East Coast – USA – Fly-In:
Check the Forum under East Coast USA Fly-In 2013 for details about this topic. It’s still in the planning stages for either this fall, or perhaps next spring.
Second TMGA Regional Fly-In Coming Up in California – We’re
heading down once again to the Harris Ranch for a steak lunch. May 4th. Last year we had seven TMGs and two power plane-loads of TMG’ers flying in. The Harris Ranch is about mid way up the state of California. Fabulous beef, and a beautiful hotel next door.
Non-USA Fly-In Events – There are a lot of TMG’s around the world. Think about using the TMGA resources to set up a local/regional/multi- country fly-in. Combine the TMGA website with other outreach possibilities, e.g. flying associations, specific model types, etc. It just takes one dedicated person to start the action. Contact the TMGA webmaster and he will re-direct the inquiry.
Volunteers Needed – The TMGA is a volunteer led activity and as in all such activities we need to share the burden. There are several ways you can help:
- Section Leaders -- We need section leaders for each type of Touring Motor Glider and for each Global Region. Steve Sliwa, our web master, assures us that programming skills aren’t needed. But like with any community, leaders need to emerge to help keep things organized and to help point people’s passions.
- Knowledgebase – If you have interesting data or information that would be of use to your fellow TMGA members please navigate to ‘Add Knowledge’ in the Knowledgebase and upload the data/information/content. We also need volunteer editors who are willing to help us organize the information. Word Processing level skills are all that are needed.
- Photo Gallery – Photos are needed. Please collect them up and upload in the photo gallery. We just started but we already have over 300 photos and more are added each week. See video tutorial if needed.
- Instructors, Vendors, Suppliers, Service Providers – If you are a vendor and offer services or products to our community, please consider placing an advertisement in our classifieds section, which is free. We are committed to your prosperity as that enables you to support our community. Those with the means and are interested in more visibility we do have a couple of sponsorship slots reserved.
• Membership/Contributions/Donations – All not-for-profit’s invest some energy to line up the resources to serve its membership and we are no different. So far the organizers have carried the burden (creatively and monetarily) but hopefully that could be spread over a larger base as time evolves. So if you aren’t able to volunteer time perhaps you would be willing to officially join for as little as $15/yr (via paypal). Anyone with interest can register to be a user of the TMGA website and automatically qualifies as an associate member of the association. Those that are able and willing to join (pay dues or contribute) as described in the website will, over time, gain access to more features. For example,
- We expect to publish a pdf document with is an indexed, well- organized version of the knowledgebase on a regular basis.
- We plan to develop an online tool for logging ‘airport caching’, treks, and soaring accomplishments accessible.
- For privacy purposes, only Members will have access to the Pilots/Owners location maps.
Organizing Chair, TMGA
TMGA Directors: Ray Buhr, Steve Sliwa, Ron Snedcor, Stu Ostrander