Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Skyview Ammeter Shunt

mikeschumann

On my Phoenix, the ammeter shunt is wired in such a way that the Skyview display shows the total amps being used by the avionics, lighting, etc.  Is this the way all Phoenix aircraft are wired?

I am thinking that it would be more useful for the shunt to be wired so that you can see the amps going into or out of the battery.  That way, after you have been soaring with the motor off you can get some idea of when the battery has been fully recharged after you have restarted the engine.

I'm interested in feedback before I rewire my system.

• Registered

I have wondered why the Phoenix was wired to show amps used instead of net amps. I thought amps in/out from the battery was the common setup on airplanes, but I don't know the reasons for choosing one over the other. Of course, you could install a 2.25" meter to track amps, amp hours, and volts. MGL has some good choices.

It appears that you can also wire a second shunt or hall effect sensor into an unused Skyview input and setup the display so that it shows both total, and net battery amperage.

Another interesting thing that I discovered in researching the detailed technical info available on the Odyssey Battery website, is that the regulator voltage that the ROTAX engine puts out while running at 3,000+ RPM (13.8V) doesn't meet their recommended deep discharge charging voltage (14.2 - 14.7V), so I am questioning whether or not my batteries are ever getting fully charged when I turn the engine on after a soaring flight with the motor off.  I'm going to start using a battery charger after each soaring flight.  That should give me a pretty good idea of what the charging state of the battery is without rewiring anything.