Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Comparing Phoenix to Sundancer

Peter Elsea

I’m looking for input from the pilots on this forum, to help me decide which TMG to choose. I have read about the Phoenix and like it a lot. I do not know if there’s a dealer in the US, as all my answers have been from the Czech Republic when I email the company. 
   The Sundancer also looks very good, very similar at least on paper to the Phoenix. They have an office in California.

I am interested in performance differences, maintenance or body structure issues, usefulness of the adoptable wing set up, etc.

I posted a similar question on the Sundancer part of the forum and nobody answered. So I thought I would try this group.

any feedback would be most appreciated!

Peter

Easthampton MA

Jim Lee in Minden NV is the US importer for the Phoenix Motorglider.  His support is absolutely exceptional.

Martin Stepanek, the owner of Phoenix Air was one of the main designers of the Lambada Motorglider, which I believe is the predecessor of the Sundancer.  When Lambada went out of business, Martin started Phoenix Air and developed the Phoenix Motorglider, which fixed a couple of key problems with the Lambada.

The Phoenix Motorglider has a couple of HUGE advantages vs its competitors, that I personally feel are absolute show stoppers:

1.  With the wingtips removed, the Phoenix wingspan is 35', so it will fit in any standard US T-Hangar.  Competitive motorgliders with removable wingtips typically have wingspans of just over 40' with the tips removed, and will NOT fit in a hangar with a standard 40' door.

2.  Compared to the Lambada, the Phoenix has a longer cockpit, so it is much more comfortable for long flights.  I am 5' 11".  Five + hour flights are absolutely no problem for me in the Phoenix.  In the Lambada, the distance to the rudder pedals was a couple of inches less than in the Phoenix, which made for a very uncomfortable experience on longer flights.

If you poll the Phoenix owners in the US, you will find tremendous enthusiasm, not only for the aircraft, but also the support that is provided by Jim Lee here in the US.  It's absolutely amazing at how much parts inventory he has in Minden.

I would strongly recommend that you take a really hard look at the Phoenix and get a ride in one before you make your final decision.  The biggest problem is the lead time in getting a new aircraft.  Used Phoenix's are very rare.  So don't delay on getting one on order, if you want to get a new one.

Wow, thank you so much for the in-depth reply. That’s very very helpful. I am 6 feet tall, so the longer cocked it would mean a lot to me. I will get in touch with the Phoenix rep in Minden.
I would love to know if any Phoenix owners live in New England!

Again, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly!

cheers, 

Peter

Jim Lee knows all the owners. I think there is a disgruntled owner who is currently selling a Phoenix in the DC area that has had one or two accidents. Not sure it would be something I would be interested in. Jim would have more insight. 

Good luck. 

Sorry to mention this, i ordered my phoenix  in November 2016 , paid half of the plane.

untill today did not received anything.

Martin stepanik is NEVER answer a phone . and very seldom answers my mails.

So be careful

FYI, there is an additional Phoenix in South Carolina in the Classifieds that you might want to look at.

Edited by sheridan9sc