Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Flight Review Requirements

Todd

My Pipistrel Sinus is registered SLSA-G.  I have ATP- AMEL, ASEL&S, Glider but do not have a current medical (only flying gliders now).  The nearest CFI-G that I know of is a 2 hour flight away.  My question is Can I do a flight review in my Sinus with a CFI-A?  

The Regs say “1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor 
Is an instructor with CFI-A an authorized instructor if giving a ride in a (technically) glider that can fly like an airplane?  Can a CFI give a Flight Review in an aircraft that he is not rated in?  It gets a little blurry as the Sinus can also be registered as an Airplane.  
Any thoughts or personal experience with this issue?

Thanks,

Todd

5F32EA15-8E34-4866-8798-5EC25946F42D.png

Hi Todd,

I am a CFI (airplane) and CFIG (glider).

Your Sinus has an airworthiness certificate which says that it is a glider (according to you).  A flight instructor may only give a flight review in a category and class for which he is rated (authorized).  Therefore an airplane instructor may not give a flight review in a glider.  It doesn't matter what category other Sinus' have been registered in, all that matters is how your plane is registered.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim is correct.  However, you may do a flight review in any aircraft for which you are rated, so all you need do is find a CFI-A who is willing to act as PIC during the review and you can do the review in a rented airplane.

Or enjoy the four hour round trip to your CFI-G on a nice day.  You did buy the Sinus to fly it, right?

Cheers, Richard