Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)
Gfeldman

skyview transponder during in-air engine re-start

Gfeldman

Hi All,

I was doing some soaring last week under dark bottomed cumulus clouds in southeastern PA under moderate/ weak lift conditions. Upon engine re-start I found that the transponder took several minutes to become active. This happened 4 times. I am wondering if the Skyview shouldn't be shut down and restarted each time the engine is shut down. My checklist for on ground engine starts calls for the Skyview EFIS to remain on during engine starts- this makes sense because there is no other way to check oil pressure after engine starting.

So I assume that the Skyview can handle the power surge that accompanies engine starts.

Any thoughts?

George Feldman N33GF

mikeschumann

What were the indications that you saw on Skyview that the transponder was not active?  Did you save a diagnostic dump and take a photo of the Skyview screen when this happened?  I would forward this to the Dynon tech support people.  They are very responsive to investigating these types of issues.

The one thing that I have run into is when flying near Orlando and West Palm Beach, without warning, Skyview will no longer display ADS-B traffic, but will instead show only TIS traffic that it is receiving from the FAA's Mode S radar systems.  This is a subtle problem that you will only notice if you are watching ADS-B equipped aircraft that are flying at low altitudes that are not visible on ATC radar.  Note:  TIS is being phased out, so this only occurs in those areas where the radar systems have not been upgraded.  Dynon has verified this as a known problem, and will fix this in the next Skyview firmware release.

Jim Lee

The Skyview is designed to be on during engine starts.  Obviously, we need to check the engine oil pressure right away after an engine start and this dictates that the Skyview already be turned on to see this.  There is no difference between an in-air start and a ground start.  The only equipment that needs to be off during an engine start or stop is the Becker radio, which can blow an internal fuse.  The only fix for that is to send the radio back to Becker.  The Dynon radio is designed to be on during engine starts or stops.

I had a nice 5 hour wave flight yesterday in the Phoenix.  The Skyview (and transponder!) were on the entire flight.

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/daily.html?st=olc&rt=olc&df=&sp=2021&c=US&sc=