Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Trip Reports - To and From Minden 2012 Fly-In

Steve Sliwa

Sonja developed the following video on her trip to Minden. Brings back memories for me as we flew over her homeport of Bend on the way South and then landed in Bend on the way home. She did a much better job of documenting the trip then we did.

http://youtu.be/1Er7l602ft0

Sonja developed the following video on her trip to Minden. Brings back memories for me as we flew over her homeport of Bend on the way South and then landed in Bend on the way home. She did a much better job of documenting the trip then we did.

http://youtu.be/1Er7l602ft0

Roland Martin sent around an e-mail with some information from his trip. I will repeat it within this forum:

Hello,

I returned safely from my flight across the whole continent.

The highlight were:

* Yellowstone by air and by car.

* Golden Gate Bridge (could see only the Northern end, the rest under fog.

* Yosemite - overwhelmingly beautiful mountains.

* Grand Canyon.

* Monument Valley.

* Santa Fe.

And of coarse, the trigger for the trip: TMGA (Touring Motorglider Association) annual fly-in to Minden, NV. This was my second opportunity to meet so manymotorglider pilots, have good soaring, some crosswind practice, great dinners with great company.

My old Ximango carried me about 5000 nm, to 20 airports in 58 hours of flight. See the attached spreadsheet for details.

Looking forward to the next longer trip.

Roland Martin

(610) 246 9341

Here is a picture and some statistics he included with his e-mail:

Roland_Marting_stats_2012.pdf

post-1-144848145944_thumb.jpg

Roland Martin sent around an e-mail with some information from his trip. I will repeat it within this forum:

Hello,

I returned safely from my flight across the whole continent.

The highlight were:

* Yellowstone by air and by car.

* Golden Gate Bridge (could see only the Northern end, the rest under fog.

* Yosemite - overwhelmingly beautiful mountains.

* Grand Canyon.

* Monument Valley.

* Santa Fe.

And of coarse, the trigger for the trip: TMGA (Touring Motorglider Association) annual fly-in to Minden, NV. This was my second opportunity to meet so manymotorglider pilots, have good soaring, some crosswind practice, great dinners with great company.

My old Ximango carried me about 5000 nm, to 20 airports in 58 hours of flight. See the attached spreadsheet for details.

Looking forward to the next longer trip.

Roland Martin

(610) 246 9341

Here is a picture and some statistics he included with his e-mail:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74[/ATTACH]

My home base is at KDLS (Dallesport WA) and we had about 400 nm to trek. Not too bad. We stopped at Lake County, OR (KLKV) on the way to Minden and Bend, OR (KBDN) on the way home. We probably could have stretched it all the way on one leg due to tailwinds but we decided to stop and have lunch.

Here are the trip legs from my Garmin GPSMap 696:

post-1-144848146005_thumb.jpg

post-1-14484814601_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146016_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146021_thumb.jpg

My home base is at KDLS (Dallesport WA) and we had about 400 nm to trek. Not too bad. We stopped at Lake County, OR (KLKV) on the way to Minden and Bend, OR (KBDN) on the way home. We probably could have stretched it all the way on one leg due to tailwinds but we decided to stop and have lunch.

Here are the trip legs from my Garmin GPSMap 696:

My brother and I learned to soar at Harris Hill. Since then we have been busy with our careers. I have flown a couple of contests in the West and did a soaring vacation in my ASW-27 at Minden in 2002. So I am familiar with western conditions. My brother is not. He was really psyched that we spent virtually the whole time on Oxygen and got up to about 17K in thermals.

We decided to take it easy so we averaged about 3 hour soaring flights and didn't venture out more than about 50 nm from Minden. Clearly we were in vacation mode and maximized our fun coefficient, which included socializing with our friends in the TMGA.

Here are the traces for our soaring flights:

post-1-144848146059_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146027_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146034_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146042_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146051_thumb.jpg

My brother and I learned to soar at Harris Hill. Since then we have been busy with our careers. I have flown a couple of contests in the West and did a soaring vacation in my ASW-27 at Minden in 2002. So I am familiar with western conditions. My brother is not. He was really psyched that we spent virtually the whole time on Oxygen and got up to about 17K in thermals.

We decided to take it easy so we averaged about 3 hour soaring flights and didn't venture out more than about 50 nm from Minden. Clearly we were in vacation mode and maximized our fun coefficient, which included socializing with our friends in the TMGA.

Here are the traces for our soaring flights:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]91[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]92[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]93[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]94[/ATTACH]

Here are a set of cockpit pictures as my brother, Dave, and I enjoy our vacation together:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]96[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]97[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]98[/ATTACH]