Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Pure Flight

Rob

Just got an e-mail from Pure flight.

This company has purchased the complete production of Phoenix aircraft,

The goal is to increase production capacity and improve customer support for these unique aircraft.

They also wrote that they are preparing interesting modifications for ONix and Phoenix aircraft

• Registered

Can you post the entire content of the email? I didn't get one, and neither website mentions anything about the purchase.

I had a chat with Tom Zidek the other day.  He is one of 4 European Phoenix owners who are taking over the factory.  They are initially focused on restarting part and airplane production.  Very good news for Phoenix owners around the world.

• Registered

I did not know/recall production was halted. When did that happen? What is the status of the factory, the employees, Martin, etc? Is Pure Flights intent to resume Rotax Phoenix production, or just for the electric Phoeniix?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

If you will have any questions about us (Pure-Flight) and U15 Rotax/Electric version, please don,t be hesitate contact us.

Right now we are working on upgrade our web were will be an info about production atc.

My email is: petr.marecek@pure-flight.cz

Petr

Does anyone understand what is going on with PureFlight? Their announcement says they are taking over the Phoenix, but any questions about the Phoenix are getting diverted. They have just bounced me over to Jim since my aircraft was sold through Jim.

On facebook, after announcing "PURE FLIGHT has purchased the complete production of PHOENIX aircraft." they then reply to one questions with "Our company PURE FLIGHT has nothing to do with the situation at Phoenix Air."

I am very confused....

Who holds the LSA certification now? Who will make spares?

Is it just me that is confused and concerned?

Barry Hendy 

#21 in Australia

I got a more detailed reply from Petr at Pure Flight - and it is encouraging. He said:

Company Pure Flight s.r.o. purchased a part of a production plant from company Phoenix Air s.r.o.. Due to this transaction Pure Flight owns all rights for production Airplane U-15 Phoenix. The production of Rotax version running and will continue. All means of production are in our possession.

Company Phoenix Air owns nothing about U15 Phoenix. No Rights for certification and production. 

I asked if that means Pure Flight now carries the responsibility for the LSA certification and the associated safety systems - and he replied:

It should be like you write. We will check it with an authorities end of this month. After that we will know if we will have to add some tests or info.

So it appears Pure Flight are actively distancing themselves from Phoenix Air (the company) but are taking full resposnibility for the U15 and its certification processes and support. (phew)

I think some of the (my) confusion has come from misunderstanding what we mean when we say 'Phoenix" - the company or the aircraft.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I visited Pure Flight last week end and my impression was very positive. The owners were transparent and cooperative and seemed committed to do everything they could to "erase" the bad taste some have re the way they were treated by Phoenix in the past. They were also very positive about Jim!

Barry, can you please email ne off line (robertvandortmond@gmail.com). I am travelling to Australia and have a specific question re Phoenix.

• 2 months later...

Hi Eric,

I saw on the Forum that you were preparing a list of all unusual but relevant facts/issues with your Phoenix. I have to learn to fly Phoenix from scratch, of course, so I am very interested in any such info. 

Also, I understand there is a "transition course/document" for that?

Thanks so much and happy flying!

I am in close contact with the guys that are building "my" Phoenix and they continue to be helpful and transparant!

Robert

• Registered

I don't recall that remark, but I have commented on what was the most difficult task for me: the landing. It was a difficult transition for me, from single seat gliders with a terrific view straight ahead, single wheel main gear, and powerful spoilers to a side-by-side seating, poor view ahead, conventional gear, and modest spoilers. I've written about it here, so search the archives in the years 2014, 2015 or so, with my name, and you should remarks on landing and other subjects.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

I am new in this forum and I see you love your Phoenix. I plan to buy a motor glider in the near future. Phoenix and Sinus Flex are my choices so far, which one will you choose and why?

I huge advantage of the Phoenix, is that with the wingtips removed (which takes about 30 seconds), the wingspan of the A/C is 35', so it fits in a standard T-Hangar with a 40' door.  The Sinus wingspan with the tips removed is ~40.5' which makes it impossible to put in a standard T-Hangar.

The biggest difference I see is the high wing vs low wing and the resultant view and seating position. I have not flown one, but I have heard thermalling in a Sinus is not very pleasant with a very poor view around the corner. The Phoenix really feels and flys like a 'normal' glider.

On the down side, landing the Phoenix is a challenge and while it has a very high cross wind rating there is very little room for error and it takes lots of experience in the aircraft to be confident in cross wind landings. (Once again, I have not flown a Sinus so don't know about its landing and cross wind capability...)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I fly a sinus and I can second the comments above about poor visibility while thermalling, as typical for a high wing plane. Landing on the other hand is easy, easier than a regular plane because of the spoilers.

I haven't flown a Phoenix but on paper it does look very nice.

If I were to buy one of the two today:

- Sinus: easy landing, trust and tested airplane with solid company that I know will be there for a long time for spares and support, more documentation available and a more complete flight manual. It also runs the 80hp rotax which is significantly easier and cheaper to maintain than the 100hp, which is what comes with the Phoenix. Between the high wing (no fuel pump) and some of the design choices like the manual feathering mechanism it seems more fault proof as there are fewer components that could break. The new Sinus flex also has removable wingtips.

- Phoenix: you can't beat that low wing view while flying and thermalling. If this new company does things right we might see a lot of Phoenix in the sky in the future.

An 80 hp engine is also possible for the Phoenix and its performance is absolutely sufficient for its operation. On the contrary, the 100 hp engine runs in Phoenix most of the time outside the optimal mode.

Hello all current and future owners of U-15 Phoenix,

we would be pleasured if you connect with us on our social medias

https://www.facebook.com/PureFlightS

https://www.instagram.com/pureflights/

and tag us (@pureflights ; #Pure-flight).

We will appreciate if you share with us your flying experience, flight videos and stories

Thank you for all Pure-Flight team

https://www.pure-flight.cz/

Petr