Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Phoenix Bush Plane Conversion

Jim Lee

I've been having lots of fun with my new Phoenix bush plane! 

Phoenix owner Tom Zidek in Sweden got some special wheels made by Kaspar, the Czech company which produces the wheels for the Phoenix.  They are wider than the standard wheel at the rim, but they fit on the axle without any modification.  Tom wanted a big tire that he could land in snow with, and they work great.  They also absorb a lot of energy on touch down, virtually preventing a bounce.  Tom runs 7psi in his balloon tires, and I run 10psi in the Goodyear ribbed tires.  The large tires reduce the cruise speed by 5 knots.

Kaspar makes a small run of the machined wheels and they only keep a few on hand.  I don't know if they plan to produce them as a cheaper cast wheel in the future.  They have 4 sets of wheels in stock right now, and two of the sets are spoken for.  I can add the other two sets to the order if there is interest ($700 for a set with shipping).  The tires are available in the US through Desser Tires.  The wheels, tires, tubes, and shipping  cost $1650, so this is not a cheap conversion.

So far I have about 15 landings on our dirt/gravel runway 30R in Minden, and 4 take offs and landings on the Dead Cow dry lakebed during the 2021 High Sierra Fly-In last week.  My plan is to gain experience on the dry lakebeds, dirt strips, and remote fields in our area before venturing to some camping/fishing trips in the Idaho backcountry.

So far it has been a lot of fun and this is going to open up a new type of flying adventure for Kathy and I.  Maybe for you too?

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

That is a very interesting option Jim. They would be fantastic for outback Australian tours on the often-rough strips. Just a few questions:

- How does this fit in the LSA certification? Are these approved by the certificate holder? (Not being clear on who holds the certification at the moment!!) Or are wheel outside the LSA realm?

- Do you have to do a new W&B every time you change tires? Or just once? Or are they close to the CoG so no problem?

- What is it like to land and what is the technique? I assume the higher nose position at 3 points means you cannot get to a 3-point attitude so you have to wheel it on? 

- Are you going to try and STOL with it? You might have an advantage in the STOL Drag @ High Sierra with airbrakes!!!

Thanks.

Barry

• 1 year later...