Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Why Touring Motor Gliders?

Steve Sliwa

Let's start a thread and keep it live sharing why we are enthusiastic about touring motorgliders. We want to encourage everyone to post their reasons here in their own words. We will ultimately combine these and use them in other locations in this website.

We are encouraging all members to post their reasons in their own words. It will also be good practice using a forum.

Here are some reasons I noted elsewhere:

BTW I think it's a good start but I think you need to include:

• Why we fly touring motorgliders
    [*=1]We can combine soaring and flying
    [*=1]We can travel, visit, trek, and tour
    [*=1]We can fly even when soaring isn't good and still complete the mission
    [*=1]We don't need a tow-plane
    [*=1]Most of our ships permit us to carry passengers
    [*=1]We don't land off-field
    [*=1]Many of our craft are Type Certificated
    [*=1]We invite power pilots who have medical issues (we are the LSA of gliders)

Ray Buhr posted this elsewhere:

Just to add to the above list:

-We can fly complex aircraft that power pilots need a bunch of separate endorsements for, like Retractable Gear, Variable pitch/Feathering props, tail draggers, Jet engines, Multi engines etc.

- Glider pilots have no limitations on how far, high, or long we can Fly like some Pilot Ratings, and we can fly into any class of airspace we are equipped for and can get clearance into.

- Many TMG's can be registered as either SEL or Glider aircraft type to suit your existing pilot rating.

-TMG's are available in price ranges to suit just about any budget from the Moni ~$3K to the Stemme's ~$200K+

- TMG's are available as Manufactured ready to fly, Kits or scratch built to suit any pilots interests.

- Some TMG's even have extended aerobatic capabilities.

- TMG's are generally more fuel efficient by nature and design.

• 1 month later...

If I had had a touring motor glider in South Pacific, I might have been able to soar it to civilization. Unfortunately, my Lockheed Model 10 Electra had a very low glide ratio and heavy wing loading and as result I had to spend my last few days on an uninhabited island.

Edited by Amelia

• 3 months later...

I fly a touring motorglider with good soaring capabilities because I can use it as a powered plane on busy airfields and even International airports after or before a long soaring flight...or on a trip! Also it´s great to be able to explore weather patterns or unknown terrain that you couldn´t soar otherwise. The main advantage against a powered sailplane is the fact that you can travel long distances comfortably and with high cruising speeds. With our Central European weather, a crazy work schedule and family time the Carat gives me the opportunity to use far more days than I would with a self-launching glider. Going downwind with the option to motor all the way back, travelling 100 miles into possible wave conditions or just a couple of patterns...just one plane for many missions!

I fly a touring motorglider with good soaring capabilities because I can use it as a powered plane on busy airfields and even International airports after or before a long soaring flight...or on a trip! Also it´s great to be able to explore weather patterns or unknown terrain that you couldn´t soar otherwise. The main advantage against a powered sailplane is the fact that you can travel long distances comfortably and with high cruising speeds. With our Central European weather, a crazy work schedule and family time the Carat gives me the opportunity to use far more days than I would with a self-launching glider. Going downwind with the option to motor all the way back, travelling 100 miles into possible wave conditions or just a couple of patterns...just one plane for many missions!

• 3 weeks later...