Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Parachute rocket replacement

Doug Levy

I've tackled the task of replacing the parachute rocket on U15/02 built in 2010.  I worked with Magnum Parachute of DeLand Florida.  After emails and photos Dennis sent me the rocket in a perforated steel container that was secured with steel banding.  To say I was a little concerned is an under statement.  After understanding the mechanism I was less worried as it seems quite safe.

With the rocket are a couple of manuals with many pictures.  I had to remove the parachute to access the screws that hold the white rocket housing tube.  I also removed the tee handle from under the instrument panel to be sure to have slack in the cable.    Make sure the tee handle is locked so that it can't be pulled. The small cables from rocket to the parachute pack get replaced too.  There is tubing that surrounds the rocket in the housing that was not that easy to replace.

After putting it all back together I was told I need to replace the cable and the bridle that goes around the spars.  So I have to remove the parachute and rocket again to replace the cable and bridle.  Hopefully others can do this all at the same time, once.

I shipped the old rocket to Magnum in the container.  I couldn't find anyone with steel banding equipment so it was agreed that I used safety wire in 6 places on the container.  The tee handle cable is referred  as the activation line.  I measured it at 3 meters long.  The bridle in my plane is marked as 1.7 meters and that is the measurement I got.

The total cost has been $1550.  I had to sign for the Fedex delivery and getting to return requires coordination with a Fedex pickup.  Dennis said the entire system will need to be  replaced in another 6 years, an 18 year system life. 

• Registered

Did you also have the parachute repacked at the same time?

I'm disappointed to hear the 6 year old rocket has to be replaced, in addition to the 18 year old parachute.

• Registered

Dennis said the entire system would need to be replaced in 6 years. Did he mean to include the just replaced rocket? Or can that stay with glider for 12 years?

Here is the text from them:

Your system was manufactured in April, 2010, and the initial repack of our canopy was due in April, 2016.  .  When the canopy was repacked in December, 2017, that established the next repack due date of December of 2023 (6 years from the first repack certification in December of 2017).  The ultimate expiration date of the canopy is April, 2028, at which time the system must be replaced.

According to this the parachute, rocket and all parts must be replaced after 18 years.