Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Loading into container

Shu

Hi all

I would like to get your help. 
Currently I got Grob G109B in France and thinking to bring it to Japan. 
but Grob website does not helped anything. 
so I would consider to carry with your help. 
I really appreciate if you help and tell me how you tied up when you carry by car or container, or tell me the g109 strong point for tie up.

Thanks!
Shu

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert but I'll post and maybe somebody will pop up to explain all the things I got wrong. 

The approved flight manual section VI.4 describes Grob's advice for 'transporting' a 109B. The main gear can be strapped while the tailboom requires a "wide" strap to secure it. They don't elaborate on what it is that constitutes a "wide" strap. Further advice recommends supports along with specific measurements at the rib closest to the wing root below the leading edge and another below the aileron attach point, also at the leading edge. This would all be consistent with the wings folded back in the stowed position. Park brake set obviously and all three wheels chocked. 

A friend and I transported a 109A a few weeks ago. I can tell you that the trailing edge of the wings is not likely to tolerate any kind of strapping and somebody who had previously owned my aircraft apparently tested this. The damage is minor and will be repaired. 

The previous owner of my aircraft had built a nice pair of dollies to support the wings and move them in the hangar. Perhaps 1.2 meters in height, about as long, enough width to accomodate the chord and fit in the middle of the span of each wing. Carpet used as a sling nailed to the top of each dolly. It could be improved on by putting some high density foam behind the inboard/outboard carpet and perhaps some more below it in case things give way. Not likely but cheap insurance. 

One final note. Moving EASA approved aircraft around the EU is likely a good bit easier than it is bringing one into Japan. You might want to at least check with somebody who's imported a glider from the EU before to find out what certificates of compliance/conformance are required as well as a certificate of deregistration. 

Good luck with your move!