Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Grob 109 (a) Fuel Cap

El_Guapo

Does anybody happen to know what fuel caps fit the 109a? I measured the neck dimension as 2" and the openings for the cam tabs at 2 5/16" but no luck finding replacement caps. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK I took a bunch of pictures of my gas cap.

The 10 is aligned with the edge. So the inside diameter is about 1.75 inch

image.thumb.jpeg.4745164497c3cee7d1d627cb37b74c87.jpeg

The prongs are about 2.25 inches

20230201_135133.thumb.jpg.749b182b5c4087a7be7d08ecebfe47d9.jpg

The text, I really could not make sense of it. 

20230201_135005.thumb.jpg.6b8b8ef61c021770dd63cd0a0eaec1e0.jpg

The magic go juice goes here.

20230201_134845.thumb.jpg.d05f95f235f7bdbcb1054204f5078fb7.jpg

My attempt to make sense of the text.  Not very good with german. 😄 

1305390096_enhancedtext.thumb.jpg.8f9282434bbede378edecba9e6f3c52d.jpg

Thank you very much. This give me a starting point. 

"Blau" - Is the manufacturer. 

"Mit Luftung" - with ventilation

Blau has probably one of the best catalogs but so far I'm not down to an exact part. But this gives me hope. 

TYVM

• 1 month later...

Update - I contacted Grob about getting parts for the noseplate inspection panel and thought I'd give them a try. The panel kit they have for $500.  After a month of back and forth they informed me they cannot sell me the gas cap due to "documentation". 

Good news though - if anybody wants to purchase the 3000 hour airframe extensions for a fee, and of course shipping the aircraft to and from Germany (not included in the price), they've got somebody who can do the job. 

Gas caps - Nein! 
Airframe TIS extensions - JA!

• 4 weeks later...

Any luck on the gas cap?  Ha, I bet it will be cheaper to ship the person to the aircraft than to ship the plane to Germany.  It's the beer breaks that slow down inspections, too busy to sucking down their radlers.  LOL   

• 3 months later...

We had one spare on the other airframe so we used that one. Blau thinks they have a match but I have to make a couple more measurements. 

I sure wish Grob would just sell whatever they have left including the TC to Lindner. I realize they don't make parts for it anymore but they're not doing the brand any favors the way its being managed now. Its almost like they have somebody in materials handling doing double duty supporting legacy aircraft. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, El_Guapo said:

We had one spare on the other airframe so we used that one. Blau thinks they have a match but I have to make a couple more measurements. 

I sure wish Grob would just sell whatever they have left including the TC to Lindner. I realize they don't make parts for it anymore but they're not doing the brand any favors the way its being managed now. Its almost like they have somebody in materials handling doing double duty supporting legacy aircraft. 

When I was looking at replacement pulleys for the prop pitch control, they only had one in stock.  they wanted min 250 Euro order.  So a 50 dollar part was going to cost me big time. I tried to order extra, but again they only one in stock. So my mechanic created replacements.