Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Collection of Rotax Forum Feeds

Newshound

912UL on a Skyranger.

The end of the throttle cable in the cockpit where it attaches to the throttle lever on pilot`s side is a bit worn.

Enough where we need to change it out.

It is easy enough to find replacement cable that we could string through the sheath through firewall into cowling.

As most of you know once under the cowl it splits into two as it operated two carbs.

The device that allows the one cable to operate the two carb cables is a bit of a mystery to us.

See photos attached.

Where the single throttle cable meets the two carb cable (as in those photos) there is a red aluminum cylinder which has one cable coming in and two going out.

I am not sure if that is standard Rotax 912 configuration or unique to the Skyranger`s way of running the cable controls between the cockpit and the carbs.

I would like to replace the single cable into that cylinder. But I`m hesitant to open it up without knowing if that is a viable strategy.

Anyone know what is in that cylinder.

Is it possible to open it up do that? If so how?

Another option we are considering:

There is about 2 inches of of extra slack of cables at the carbs ends.

Wonder if we released it up there could it create slack on the cockpit end of the single cable near the throttle lever?

If neither of those are options, is there a source (hopefully USA?) for the whole assembly (incoming cable, cylinder it goes into under the cowl, two carb cables coming out)?

Al

More...

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newshound

• Steve Sliwa

• Michael Haisten

• Gfeldman

912UL on a Skyranger.

The end of the throttle cable in the cockpit where it attaches to the throttle lever on pilot`s side is a bit worn.

Enough where we need to change it out.

It is easy enough to find replacement cable that we could string through the sheath through firewall into cowling.

As most of you know once under the cowl it splits into two as it operated two carbs.

The device that allows the one cable to operate the two carb cables is a bit of a mystery to us.

See photos attached.

Where the single throttle cable meets the two carb cable (as in those photos) there is a red aluminum cylinder which has one cable coming in and two going out.

I am not sure if that is standard Rotax 912 configuration or unique to the Skyranger`s way of running the cable controls between the cockpit and the carbs.

I would like to replace the single cable into that cylinder. But I`m hesitant to open it up without knowing if that is a viable strategy.

Anyone know what is in that cylinder.

Is it possible to open it up do that? If so how?

Another option we are considering:

There is about 2 inches of of extra slack of cables at the carbs ends.

Wonder if we released it up there could it create slack on the cockpit end of the single cable near the throttle lever?

If neither of those are options, is there a source (hopefully USA?) for the whole assembly (incoming cable, cylinder it goes into under the cowl, two carb cables coming out)?

Al

More...

Had to do a password reset.

The system generated a new one.

But it's an unmemorabilizable one like d#h197* or something like that.

Want to reset it to something practical.

When I click on Profile (which I assume is where I'd change my password)

I get a message --

"The profile page has been disabled You do not have permissions to access this page. "

Am I stuck forever with the cumbersome password? dizzy.png

This happened before, and last time only reply I got just said the replier could not replicate my problem (that is, HE had no problem acessing the Profile.)

Thing is the profile seems to be saying _I_ am locked out of the profile.

Maybe I have to raise me level/type of membership? If so, how would I do that?

Al

More...

Had to do a password reset.

The system generated a new one.

But it's an unmemorabilizable one like d#h197* or something like that.

Want to reset it to something practical.

When I click on Profile (which I assume is where I'd change my password)

I get a message --

"The profile page has been disabled You do not have permissions to access this page. "

Am I stuck forever with the cumbersome password? dizzy.png

This happened before, and last time only reply I got just said the replier could not replicate my problem (that is, HE had no problem acessing the Profile.)

Thing is the profile seems to be saying _I_ am locked out of the profile.

Maybe I have to raise me level/type of membership? If so, how would I do that?

Al

More...

Can someone please give me the inside diameter of the oil tank vent tube on a 912? I do not like asking such a question here but my aircraft is 60 miles away from home and I plan on purging the oil system and need to pressurize the oil system. I need this tubing (hose)dimension to get ready for the job and have not been able to find it.

More...

Can someone please give me the inside diameter of the oil tank vent tube on a 912? I do not like asking such a question here but my aircraft is 60 miles away from home and I plan on purging the oil system and need to pressurize the oil system. I need this tubing (hose)dimension to get ready for the job and have not been able to find it.

More...

I am rebuilding the carbs on my 912ULS and the markings on my choke shaft are not as described in either the Rotax video or the Heavy Maintenance manual. On the outside end there are two stamped *dots located equidistant from the axis of the shaft. This is the 2/4 carb. At the other end of the shaft there some indistinguishable markings. Is there another way to determine the correct positioning of the shaft?

Thanks - Mike

More...

I am rebuilding the carbs on my 912ULS and the markings on my choke shaft are not as described in either the Rotax video or the Heavy Maintenance manual. On the outside end there are two stamped *dots located equidistant from the axis of the shaft. This is the 2/4 carb. At the other end of the shaft there some indistinguishable markings. Is there another way to determine the correct positioning of the shaft?

Thanks - Mike

More...

Since I fitted a brand new out of the box 503 last summer I have noticed the CHTs seem a bit cool...140/150c,

The book suggests normal 180-220c,

Should I be bothered by this.

Nick.

More...

Since I fitted a brand new out of the box 503 last summer I have noticed the CHTs seem a bit cool...140/150c,

The book suggests normal 180-220c,

Should I be bothered by this.

Nick.

More...

I just discovered that my oil reserve tank bracket mounted to the top of the 582 cylinder head has broke. I've been told this is a fairly common problem. My question is: Are there special precautions and procedures to removing the cylinder head bolts when R&Ring the replacement bracket? AND is there a better solution to mounting the oil tank as to not repeat breakage?

More...

I just discovered that my oil reserve tank bracket mounted to the top of the cylinder head has broke. I've been told this is a fairly common problem. My question is: Are there special precautions and procedures to removing the cylinder head bolts when R&Ring the replacement bracket? AND is there a better solution to mounting the oil tank as to not repeat breakage?

More...

I just discovered that my oil reserve tank bracket mounted to the top of the 582 cylinder head has broke. I've been told this is a fairly common problem. My question is: Are there special precautions and procedures to removing the cylinder head bolts when R&Ring the replacement bracket? AND is there a better solution to mounting the oil tank as to not repeat breakage?

More...

I just discovered that my oil reserve tank bracket mounted to the top of the cylinder head has broke. I've been told this is a fairly common problem. My question is: Are there special precautions and procedures to removing the cylinder head bolts when R&Ring the replacement bracket? AND is there a better solution to mounting the oil tank as to not repeat breakage?

More...

Flying at 10,500 feet 20 degrees celcius, my low fuelmindicator started blinking with and without auxiliary pump, engin raan smoothly for another flying hour.

Any comments about this poblem

More...

OK, some issues here I'm hoping you can help me solve

I have a brand new Rotax 582 on my T500 Thruster, the engine has just turned over 25 hours on the clock. It is driving a 68" 3 blade Brolga prop with 12 degree pitch blocks through a "B" reduction box at 2.58. Now this engine has always tended to overheat from run-in on. I have a hard time keeping the temps below 80 degrees indicated on a brand new VDO gauge connected to a brand new sensor in the engine head, all connected together with the wiring that came with the unit. So, unless the new gauge is faulty, I think the temp gauge is reading correct. I will, however, double check this next time I'm at the airfield by sitting the sensor in a pot of water and heat it up. I'll cross reference the temp gauge reading with a thermometer. I have only just pulled the prop[ apart to check the pitch, and I must say I was surprised to see such a fine pitch. I was expecting something near the high side of the range, around 16 degrees. I thought the overheating would be caused by too coarse a pitch setting and I could reduce the over temp reading by reducing the pitch - but not so. Another complication for you to digest; I have never been able to get full (6800) revs from the 582, either on the ground or when flying around. Most I've got is 6200RPM, so again I thought this would be due to a coarse pitch setting. Now I have to rethink. The EGT readings are identical at about 1100 on the gauge when at 6000RPM, so I reckon the carbies are right. I checked the barrel slides in the carbies and they are opening right up at full throttle.

So I have 2 issues - an overheating engine, and an engine that is not achieving full revs.

Where do I go from here learned forumites?

Pud

More...

Flying at 10,500 feet 20 degrees celcius, my low fuelmindicator started blinking with and without auxiliary pump, engin raan smoothly for another flying hour.

Any comments about this poblem

More...

OK, some issues here I'm hoping you can help me solve

I have a brand new Rotax 582 on my T500 Thruster, the engine has just turned over 25 hours on the clock. It is driving a 68" 3 blade Brolga prop with 12 degree pitch blocks through a "B" reduction box at 2.58. Now this engine has always tended to overheat from run-in on. I have a hard time keeping the temps below 80 degrees indicated on a brand new VDO gauge connected to a brand new sensor in the engine head, all connected together with the wiring that came with the unit. So, unless the new gauge is faulty, I think the temp gauge is reading correct. I will, however, double check this next time I'm at the airfield by sitting the sensor in a pot of water and heat it up. I'll cross reference the temp gauge reading with a thermometer. I have only just pulled the prop[ apart to check the pitch, and I must say I was surprised to see such a fine pitch. I was expecting something near the high side of the range, around 16 degrees. I thought the overheating would be caused by too coarse a pitch setting and I could reduce the over temp reading by reducing the pitch - but not so. Another complication for you to digest; I have never been able to get full (6800) revs from the 582, either on the ground or when flying around. Most I've got is 6200RPM, so again I thought this would be due to a coarse pitch setting. Now I have to rethink. The EGT readings are identical at about 1100 on the gauge when at 6000RPM, so I reckon the carbies are right. I checked the barrel slides in the carbies and they are opening right up at full throttle.

So I have 2 issues - an overheating engine, and an engine that is not achieving full revs.

Where do I go from here learned forumites?

Pud

More...

Hello

Please, can you describe me the recommended preventive maintenance/cleaning to do every month or two month depending on the flight frequency?

How often I have to do the carburetor synchronization?

Thanks

Gerard

More...

Hello

Please, can you describe me the recommended preventive maintenance/cleaning to do every month or two month depending on the flight frequency?

How often I have to do the carburetor synchronization?

Thanks

Gerard

More...

I'm trying to get my MGL RPM gauge connected to my 503 dcsi but my engine doesn't seem to have the gray wire coming out of the generator/magneto that the instructions say I need to connect it to. does anyone know if the older 503 dcsi engines had this rpm output? What are my options for getting engine rpm to read on my gauge if my engine doesn't have this output? Thanks for any help.

More...

I'm trying to get my MGL RPM gauge connected to my 503 dcsi but my engine doesn't seem to have the gray wire coming out of the generator/magneto that the instructions say I need to connect it to. does anyone know if the older 503 dcsi engines had this rpm output? What are my options for getting engine rpm to read on my gauge if my engine doesn't have this output? Thanks for any help.

More...

Hello

If Anyone could assist me I would Really appreciate it !!

When I do a mag test @ 3800 RPM their is no noticeable drop between the two on power up I get good RPM when reaching 1000 foot after take off i level off and come off the power to 4800 for the cruise or 5000 RPM the engine runs very rough not smooth @ all when i increase the RPM to 5250 5300 it then sounds better i first though i might be experiencing Carb icing but after 1 hour of flying it still stayed the same on the descent i brought it back to 3000 RPM sounded very smooth i landed checked that the choke on boath sides were up against the stops and they were i had just had the carbs balance about four flights ago because i notice it did the same at 4600 and at 5000 it was smooth now this problem is getting progresively worse so I have opted to stop flying untill it has been sorted out I also tried in flight to activate the fuel pump but to help any advice would be greatley appreciated Please.

Kind Regards

Charlie

More...