Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

New TMG Owner GROB 109B N58287

xintersecty

I bought a Grob 109 B from Jim Fangman.  I ferry it from Michigan to SC this past weekend.  Here are few pictures.

Yes, this is mine...good by savings!

image.thumb.jpeg.427b87aab7a557aaa41deedcde91c675.jpeg

Stopped in London KY.  Beautiful Morning picture 

image.thumb.jpeg.422966a9cc3d281eafc7bb3f2ea7df9d.jpeg

Flying over Mt Mictchell In NC 6,684 feet tall, we flew over at 9500.

image.thumb.jpeg.6835e2223028461c862fcb07753702d6.jpeg

My home lake Murry Lexington SC near Columbia CAE, we were on the look out for the big boys...did not see a single one.
image.thumb.jpeg.96ded46aa2734713a2f61a21be317f9e.jpeg

Now at its new home in Owens Field KCUB in Columbia SC.

image.thumb.jpeg.950003c7367b4253b8a3847b7b9cd95b.jpeg

Edited by xintersecty
removed picture
  • Like 1

There's a lot of great soaring over your way. The eastern side of the Appalachians throws up a nice wave, as does Mt. Mitchell. Baby your engine. There have been issues with the Limbach engine in Grob's from shock cooling resulting in cracked heads because of improper cooling prior to shutdown. Gotta be gentle. Have some fun!

On 5/31/2022 at 11:26 AM, Thermalseeker said:

There's a lot of great soaring over your way. The eastern side of the Appalachians throws up a nice wave, as does Mt. Mitchell. Baby your engine. There have been issues with the Limbach engine in Grob's from shock cooling resulting in cracked heads because of improper cooling prior to shutdown. Gotta be gentle. Have some fun!

Years ago I have flown out of Marion NC or Lenior Morganton for wave camp.   

Do you have a specific procedure for engine shutdown in the grob 109 before soaring flight?  

On 5/31/2022 at 10:26 AM, Thermalseeker said:

The Grob109B has a 2.4L Grob engine 

I think you made a great choice to fly a TMG!!  I'm in ATL area and co-own a Phoenix TMG and fly close to that route every year.  The mountains are just beautiful.  Drop me a PM at email: flyboy(at)bellsouth(dot)net.  Maybe we can get some Southeastern TMGs together this fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 6:46 PM, Kmotexas said:

Welcome to the Grob109 family!

Thank you!  What a beautiful paint job.  My wife hates the grob red/orange.  That blue is just smashing.  Did you get your plane resurfaced?   I love your panel.  Where do you have the radio and transponder in your panel?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 8:09 AM, xintersecty said:

Years ago I have flown out of Marion NC or Lenior Morganton for wave camp.   

Do you have a specific procedure for engine shutdown in the grob 109 before soaring flight?  

Much like you shouldn't go immediately to take off power with a cold engine, you don't want to abruptly shut down a hot engine. Throttle back and let it cool down at idle for 5 minutes. I even do this with the Rotax 912s in my Ximango. New heads are expensive. Flying around with the engine at idle for 5 minutes is not. When you shut down a hot engine at altitude you're blowing cold air on hot cast metal. This is begging for uneven cooling which will eventually lead to cracks, usually in the front cylinder heads because that is where the coolest of the cooling air goes first. So, go to idle for a few minutes, let the engine cool down slowly through airflow and oil temp, then shut down. I let my oil temp drop to 160F before I shut down my Rotax. If you don't have wet heads you might want to let it cool down a bit farther. As my granny used to say "Better to hold the phone than have a kidney stone".........

• Like 1