Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Upgrading Engine on SF25B

chris

I'm currently refurbishing my SF25B Falke. I added some pictures in the gallery. Mine is registered in the USA as Experimental Racing. OK, stop laughing now. The airplane has a Stamp 1500 with 250 hours. I have a Hummel 2180cc engine that weighs around 160 pounds. Aside from the balance issue (I'd offset the weight with a battery), what would be involved in an engine swap from both the physical and regulatory sides of things? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks,

Chris

N6ZZ

I'm currently refurbishing my SF25B Falke. I added some pictures in the gallery. Mine is registered in the USA as Experimental Racing. OK, stop laughing now. The airplane has a Stamp 1500 with 250 hours. I have a Hummel 2180cc engine that weighs around 160 pounds. Aside from the balance issue (I'd offset the weight with a battery), what would be involved in an engine swap from both the physical and regulatory sides of things? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks,

Chris

N6ZZ

• 10 months later...

Chris I have the same ship, Am also rebuilding now and also want to put the Hummel in. As long as you stay within the gross weight limit of the craft the engine will not matter in Experimental catagory. use a larger battery if needed (little extra weight) and and locate it in the framing aft, at the station/point where it puts the ship back into the center of the CG

Have you found a source for Directives and AD's for these ships?

JW

Chris I have the same ship, Am also rebuilding now and also want to put the Hummel in. As long as you stay within the gross weight limit of the craft the engine will not matter in Experimental catagory. use a larger battery if needed (little extra weight) and and locate it in the framing aft, at the station/point where it puts the ship back into the center of the CG

Have you found a source for Directives and AD's for these ships?

JW