Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

East Coast Motorglider Fly-In, September 14-15, 2013

sheridan9sc

We can't let the West Coast folks have all the fun! We are looking for ideas and people to create an inaugural East Coast Fly-in that reflects our soaring traditions. We are considering a weekend event centrally located in the Appalachians or Blue Ridge Mountains. Add your comments to this post and watch for a link to a survey for more specifics. We hope it will be a time to get together and share experiences and ideas and see what direction it will take in the future!

We can't let the West Coast folks have all the fun! We are looking for ideas and people to create an inaugural East Coast Fly-in that reflects our soaring traditions. We are considering a weekend event centrally located in the Appalachians or Blue Ridge Mountains. Add your comments to this post and watch for a link to a survey for more specifics. We hope it will be a time to get together and share experiences and ideas and see what direction it will take in the future!

I tried to get interest going in an east coast event a couple of years ago. Didn't get one single response from any east coaster TMG owner on the list showing any interest whatsoever. I've hosted several similar events at my strip, i.e., glider contests, glider demo days, cookouts, ice cream socials, the first Europa fly-in in north America, etc., but the liability laws in Tennessee changed a few years ago and made it foolish to do such an event on private property again. The non-existent response by the eastern TMG crowd wasn't exactly encouraging, either. l show if you do it, though.

I tried to get interest going in an east coast event a couple of years ago. Didn't get one single response from any east coaster TMG owner on the list showing any interest whatsoever. I've hosted several similar events at my strip, i.e., glider contests, glider demo days, cookouts, ice cream socials, the first Europa fly-in in north America, etc., but the liability laws in Tennessee changed a few years ago and made it foolish to do such an event on private property again. The non-existent response by the eastern TMG crowd wasn't exactly encouraging, either. l show if you do it, though.

This is a terrific idea. There are a number of new east coaster TMG pilots that I'm sure will support this event.

I'm looking forward to considering the options re venue and schedule. With a fixed location we can accommodate the needs of the non-flying partners, while providing great day trips and evening programs. And we can consider safaris to and/or from the event to satisfy the wanderlust of some of the cross-country oriented pilots. The east coast, particularly the Blue Ridge and Appalachian mountains and the Shenandoah Valley, offer terrific thermal, wave and wave soaring conditions.

If you are at all interested, definitely respond here, follow the forum, complete the forthcoming survey and set the date aside. It is our great hope to establish this as an annual event and to expand it!!

This is a terrific idea. There are a number of new east coaster TMG pilots that I'm sure will support this event.

I'm looking forward to considering the options re venue and schedule. With a fixed location we can accommodate the needs of the non-flying partners, while providing great day trips and evening programs. And we can consider safaris to and/or from the event to satisfy the wanderlust of some of the cross-country oriented pilots. The east coast, particularly the Blue Ridge and Appalachian mountains and the Shenandoah Valley, offer terrific thermal, wave and wave soaring conditions.

If you are at all interested, definitely respond here, follow the forum, complete the forthcoming survey and set the date aside. It is our great hope to establish this as an annual event and to expand it!!

David, the guy that got this ball rolling, flew up to my airport (MKJ) today to check it out as a possible home base for the first Fly-in. I showed him around and he met with the chairman of the airport commission chairman who is all for it. The chairman more or less said that we could have the run of the place. Even camp in the terminal if someone wanted to. Wherever it is held, I will do my best to be there. Sounds like fun.

David, the guy that got this ball rolling, flew up to my airport (MKJ) today to check it out as a possible home base for the first Fly-in. I showed him around and he met with the chairman of the airport commission chairman who is all for it. The chairman more or less said that we could have the run of the place. Even camp in the terminal if someone wanted to. Wherever it is held, I will do my best to be there. Sounds like fun.

Count me in, depending on dates. KMJ is fine with me. If people wanted a place farther south i might get the folks at Mountain Airport 0GE5 to let it be used.

Key

Carat 135GS

Dahlonega, GA

Count me in, depending on dates. KMJ is fine with me. If people wanted a place farther south i might get the folks at Mountain Airport 0GE5 to let it be used.

Key

Carat 135GS

Dahlonega, GA

I'd love to come to an East Coast Fly-In.

A few years ago we had four motorgliders meeting in State College, PA. Another year in Lakonia, NH.

Any other place is good for me as well.

Roland Martin

Ximango N97SM

Based in N57 - New Garden in SE PA.

I'd love to come to an East Coast Fly-In.

A few years ago we had four motorgliders meeting in State College, PA. Another year in Lakonia, NH.

Any other place is good for me as well.

Roland Martin

Ximango N97SM

Based in N57 - New Garden in SE PA.

Susan and Al now are partnered with Russ Hustead on a new Stemme S6 and we will be flying it to its new home in Payson, AZ, from Don Bell's dealership in SC within the next couple of weeks. That said, we would love to bring our Diamond to an East Coast event. The plan now is to fly the S6 to Minden this year.

Susan and Al now are partnered with Russ Hustead on a new Stemme S6 and we will be flying it to its new home in Payson, AZ, from Don Bell's dealership in SC within the next couple of weeks. That said, we would love to bring our Diamond to an East Coast event. The plan now is to fly the S6 to Minden this year.

I'm in! Just bought a 2006 Pipistrel Virus and flew it from San Jose to Washington DC, with excellent tailwinds. Wonder how folks manage headwinds on the way to Minden - but am booked at that time - this year - anyway. East Coast event would be most welcome! Holding those dates. - Hugh McElrath N126BF

I'm in! Just bought a 2006 Pipistrel Virus and flew it from San Jose to Washington DC, with excellent tailwinds. Wonder how folks manage headwinds on the way to Minden - but am booked at that time - this year - anyway. East Coast event would be most welcome! Holding those dates. - Hugh McElrath N126BF

Please be advised that Smith Reynolds Airport (INT) would be interested in hosting a Fly-In for the Touring Motor Glider Association. Smith Reynolds Airport is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and has a lot of amenities to offer the TMGA members. We are centrally located for an East Coast Fly-In and our Air Show this year is scheduled for September 21st and 22nd a week after your proposed dates. Please contact me (Mark Davidson, Airport Director) or visit our web site (www.smithreynolds.org) for additional information about the Airport and the feasibility of a Fly-In. Thanks, Mark

Please be advised that Smith Reynolds Airport (INT) would be interested in hosting a Fly-In for the Touring Motor Glider Association. Smith Reynolds Airport is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and has a lot of amenities to offer the TMGA members. We are centrally located for an East Coast Fly-In and our Air Show this year is scheduled for September 21st and 22nd a week after your proposed dates. Please contact me (Mark Davidson, Airport Director) or visit our web site (www.smithreynolds.org) for additional information about the Airport and the feasibility of a Fly-In. Thanks, Mark

Sounds like a great start for the event. I would invite your thoughts around one or more of the following questions:

1) Should it be a one day fly-in for lunch or an overnight?

2) Are you interested in a safari following the fly-in either up or down the Appalachians, shifting base every night?

3) Where would you be coming from?

4) What ship would you bring?

5) How many fliers in your party?

6) How non-fliers in your party?

7) Is it important to have Mogas available at the airport or just nearby?

8) Recommendations for sites and why (meeting space, accommodations, special soaring opportunities nearby).

9) Special guests to invite to share new developments (Jim Lee with the Phoenix, FLARM, oxygen systems, etc.)

10) Do you have some experience to offer to the event (weather briefings, soaring presentations, reviews of east coast soaring sites, etc.)

Thanks,

David