Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

East Coast Motorglider Fly-In, September 14-15, 2013

sheridan9sc

Sounds like a great start for the event. I would invite your thoughts around one or more of the following questions:

1) Should it be a one day fly-in for lunch or an overnight?

2) Are you interested in a safari following the fly-in either up or down the Appalachians, shifting base every night?

3) Where would you be coming from?

4) What ship would you bring?

5) How many fliers in your party?

6) How non-fliers in your party?

7) Is it important to have Mogas available at the airport or just nearby?

8) Recommendations for sites and why (meeting space, accommodations, special soaring opportunities nearby).

9) Special guests to invite to share new developments (Jim Lee with the Phoenix, FLARM, oxygen systems, etc.)

10) Do you have some experience to offer to the event (weather briefings, soaring presentations, reviews of east coast soaring sites, etc.)

Thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...

1) Overnight is fine with me. Depending on the location it'll probably be at least an overnight trip for me anyway.

2) Yes, if the primary focus is soaring new locations. A trip up the Shenandoah Valley would be great!

3) Whitwell, TN (30nm north of Chattanooga) aka TN89.

4) AMT-200s "Super Ximango"

5) One, but possibly two. Won't know until the date is closer.

6) None

7) Only if it is non-ethanol, otherwise I'll run 100LL.

8) I think one of the biggest concerns with the venue for a TMG gathering is ramp space. Wherever it happens it needs to be somewhere where there is a lot of wide open ramp space and LOW signs. Personally, I would prefer to stay in a motel as opposed to camping. Special soaring opportunities are high on my list, too. Randy's suggestion of Mountain Empire (KMKJ) fits all of those requirements. The "big mountains" and some fantastic soaring around Boone, NC, are just a short hop from KMKJ, as is Big Walker mountain, another outstanding soaring site. Not exactly east coast, but the Europa group has their annual fly-in at the Kentucky's State Resort Park at Rough River. (2I3 at Falls of Rough, KY). The park has a lodge with rooms, cabins for rent, RV and tent camping, and a big restaurant all walking distance from the ramp/airstrip. It also has a meeting room and restrooms at the strip. It's made for fly-in's. The only downsides are it's in a dry county and availability might be scarce at that time of the year. A lot of other aviation groups use 2I3. Not saying this is where we should have it, but it is the kind of place I would look for.

9/10) I attended the Minden fly-in a couple of years ago. Those guys did a great job! In the mornings we had bull sessions where the days weather and soaring forecast were discussed. They also had a TMG owner/A&P/IA do a talk on topics related to TMG's. On Friday night they had dinner arranged at a local restaurant and Saturday night they did a big cookout at their hangar. Having spent the last 11 years working in and around a composite repair shop I'd be happy to do a presentation on the proper care and feeding of composite finishes, gel coat vs. urethane, answer questions about gel coat crazing and how to fix it, buffing techniques, canopy care and scratch removal, Mylar, zigzag, and other tapes we use in the shop and where to get them, how to remove adhesive, how to build and use the "end on - no swirl" buffers we use, etc. If someone can bring a laptop projector I can bring thousands of pictures of soaring here in the Sequatchie, in and around the lower end of the Appalachians, and from various soaring trips out west.

1) Overnight is fine with me. Depending on the location it'll probably be at least an overnight trip for me anyway.

2) Yes, if the primary focus is soaring new locations. A trip up the Shenandoah Valley would be great!

6) None

8) I think one of the biggest concerns with the venue for a TMG gathering is ramp space. Wherever it happens it needs to be somewhere where there is a lot of wide open ramp space and LOW signs. Personally, I would prefer to stay in a motel as opposed to camping. Special soaring opportunities are high on my list, too. Randy's suggestion of Mountain Empire (KMKJ) fits all of those requirements. The "big mountains" and some fantastic soaring around Boone, NC, are just a short hop from KMKJ, as is Big Walker mountain, another outstanding soaring site. Not exactly east coast, but the Europa group has their annual fly-in at the Kentucky's State Resort Park at Rough River. (2I3 at Falls of Rough, KY). The park has a lodge with rooms, cabins for rent, RV and tent camping, and a big restaurant all walking distance from the ramp/airstrip. It also has a meeting room and restrooms at the strip. It's made for fly-in's. The only downsides are it's in a dry county and availability might be scarce at that time of the year. A lot of other aviation groups use 2I3. Not saying this is where we should have it, but it is the kind of place I would look for.

9/10) I attended the Minden fly-in a couple of years ago. Those guys did a great job! In the mornings we had bull sessions where the days weather and soaring forecast were discussed. They also had a TMG owner/A&P/IA do a talk on topics related to TMG's. On Friday night they had dinner arranged at a local restaurant and Saturday night they did a big cookout at their hangar. Having spent the last 11 years working in and around a composite repair shop I'd be happy to do a presentation on the proper care and feeding of composite finishes, gel coat vs. urethane, answer questions about gel coat crazing and how to fix it, buffing techniques, canopy care and scratch removal, Mylar, zigzag, and other tapes we use in the shop and where to get them, how to remove adhesive, how to build and use the "end on - no swirl" buffers we use, etc. If someone can bring a laptop projector I can bring thousands of pictures of soaring here in the Sequatchie, in and around the lower end of the Appalachians, and from various soaring trips out west.

• 4 weeks later...

6) None

Ditto, ditto, ditto for everything that my buddy Thermalseeker said. This could be a great opportunity for us East coast folks. I'm new to this so I might be a bit more eager than some here, but let's at least try and give it a chance. What can we as a group or as individuals do to help? TP

6) None

Ditto, ditto, ditto for everything that my buddy Thermalseeker said. This could be a great opportunity for us East coast folks. I'm new to this so I might be a bit more eager than some here, but let's at least try and give it a chance. What can we as a group or as individuals do to help? TP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Friends,

Since starting this thread my situation has changed and I can no longer play a part in planning the event this year. Anyone want to pick up on the ideas offered?

David Sheridan

Friends,

Since starting this thread my situation has changed and I can no longer play a part in planning the event this year. Anyone want to pick up on the ideas offered?

David Sheridan

At this late date, instead of trying to pull off a formal fly-in, how about an east coast TMG Shenandoah Valley safari/fly out in mid September? The Shenandoah is hard to beat for scenery and soaring that time of year. What say ye, east coast TMG'ers?

At this late date, instead of trying to pull off a formal fly-in, how about an east coast TMG Shenandoah Valley safari/fly out in mid September? The Shenandoah is hard to beat for scenery and soaring that time of year. What say ye, east coast TMG'ers?

• 2 months later...