Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

AD note clarification for H-36

pik20e4me

My query to the FAA regarding AD applicability of a recent AD affecting Diamond motorgliders. The response and the AD should be of interest to world-wide operators of these aircraft:

Dear Mr. Kiesov:

I own and maintain a Hoffman H-36, sn 3518 and also maintain another, sn 36212.

I found a very slight ambiguity in the applicability section of AD 2013-04-08. Am I correct in my understanding that H-36 aircraft to which this AD is applicable must fall within the serial number block 36300 through 36414? Or is it the intent that the AD applies to all H-36 and that applicability to the HK 36R is to that specified SN block?

The subject Diamond SB MSB 36-108 has no reference to H-36 models, but to HK 36 models only.

I'm not sure that the H-36 should be called out at all, as I suspect none fall within the SN block. (Not meant to be a factual statement.)

Thanks for your clarification.

There is nothing wrong with civil service retirement if you can have one of these toys!

Best,

Michael Stockhill

FAA response:

Thanks for the email. You are absolutely correct. FAA AD 2013-04-08 has

an error. The H-36 was included in the applicability by error. The HK36

was the correct model; however, that model is not TCed in the US.

We are in the process of amending the AD to remove the H36 from the

applicability of this AD,.

My query to the FAA regarding AD applicability of a recent AD affecting Diamond motorgliders. The response and the AD should be of interest to world-wide operators of these aircraft:

Dear Mr. Kiesov:

I found a very slight ambiguity in the applicability section of AD 2013-04-08. Am I correct in my understanding that H-36 aircraft to which this AD is applicable must fall within the serial number block 36300 through 36414? Or is it the intent that the AD applies to all H-36 and that applicability to the HK 36R is to that specified SN block?

The subject Diamond SB MSB 36-108 has no reference to H-36 models, but to HK 36 models only.

I'm not sure that the H-36 should be called out at all, as I suspect none fall within the SN block. (Not meant to be a factual statement.)

There is nothing wrong with civil service retirement if you can have one of these toys!

Best,

Michael Stockhill

FAA response:

• 8 years later...
On 4/10/2013 at 3:16 PM, pik20e4me said:

Dear Mr. Kiesov:

Best,

Michael Stockhill

FAA response:

Great catch!  Seems you may know something about 14 CFR part 43!