Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

TMG selection process?

Aggies78

Greetings to all!

Thanks in advance for this website and the forums associated with it, a great resource for me as I learn more about touring motorgliders.

I have perused most of the forum threads and if I've missed it, my apologies (and a pointout would be appreciated!) but I'm looking for more specific "search" criteria for pursuing a TMG purchase decision.

I'm a new forum member; A little about me: I'm a current glider owner (ASW-19) looking to cut the towrope with either a self-launch or TMG...the problem is...what to choose and why? I'm leaning towards acquiring a TMG just because as an active power pilot, the "multi-mission" capabilities of these aircraft with their ability to run the engines for extended periods and true XC capability appeal to me to be a greater asset that the strictly "launch and stow" features of a self-launching sailplane.

New is out of my price range, at least currently..so that means used.

I don't want to downgrade too much off of the soaring performance I've gotten used to flying the -19, so something with a minimum of 30-1 L/D is on the wish list, which appears to narrow things considerably, especially if it's used and not new (rules out the Phoenix, I'm guessing).

That seems to bring us to consider something in the Carat/Ximango class of ship, unless there's something else out there I'm not aware of.

I would greatly enjoy and appreciate any discussion/advice/pros/cons/lessons learned of the different models out there, your walk through the search and purchasing decision and any "gotcha's" to be aware of and avoid. What you got and why you got it, along with what you learned along the way!

I am also interested in hearing opinion about the 2 seat vs 1 seat TMG...how many times has the extra seat been worth having, and is adding it worth what appears to be a modest performance tradeoff?

I am happy to respond to private email if a forum posting is undesired at:

aggies78 AT gmail dot com

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice!

Kind regards,

Rob S.

Austin, Texas

Greetings to all!

Thanks in advance for this website and the forums associated with it, a great resource for me as I learn more about touring motorgliders.

I have perused most of the forum threads and if I've missed it, my apologies (and a pointout would be appreciated!) but I'm looking for more specific "search" criteria for pursuing a TMG purchase decision.

I'm a new forum member; A little about me: I'm a current glider owner (ASW-19) looking to cut the towrope with either a self-launch or TMG...the problem is...what to choose and why? I'm leaning towards acquiring a TMG just because as an active power pilot, the "multi-mission" capabilities of these aircraft with their ability to run the engines for extended periods and true XC capability appeal to me to be a greater asset that the strictly "launch and stow" features of a self-launching sailplane.

New is out of my price range, at least currently..so that means used.

I don't want to downgrade too much off of the soaring performance I've gotten used to flying the -19, so something with a minimum of 30-1 L/D is on the wish list, which appears to narrow things considerably, especially if it's used and not new (rules out the Phoenix, I'm guessing).

That seems to bring us to consider something in the Carat/Ximango class of ship, unless there's something else out there I'm not aware of.

I would greatly enjoy and appreciate any discussion/advice/pros/cons/lessons learned of the different models out there, your walk through the search and purchasing decision and any "gotcha's" to be aware of and avoid. What you got and why you got it, along with what you learned along the way!

I am also interested in hearing opinion about the 2 seat vs 1 seat TMG...how many times has the extra seat been worth having, and is adding it worth what appears to be a modest performance tradeoff?

I am happy to respond to private email if a forum posting is undesired at:

aggies78 AT gmail dot com

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice!

Kind regards,

Rob S.

Austin, Texas