Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

A trailer for the Phoenix

Eric Greenwell

• Registered

I've started this thread for discussing Don Boardman's magnificent trailer for his Phoenix. Here's what Don wrote in the "The Phoenix (group) arises anew!" thread:

"I've moved documents and an article from the original Phoenix site to TMGA. A little confusing at first in the Knowledgebase/Downloads area, but it's OK now!"

Here's a link to one of the pictures. You can view all them by clicking on the thumbnails below it, or use the other Gallery features to view them:

http://www.touringmotorgliders.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1405&title=img-2404b-1&cat=534

Don, I assume you started with a commercial trailer then made the modifications required to hold the Phoenix components. What does the trailer weigh without the aircraft in it, and what is it's overall length?

Hi Eric,

Good idea to start an area just for Phoenix Trailers. I have had very little experience with Forums.

The trailer for my Phoenix was built by Blizzard Manufacturing, Boonville, NY, thirty minutes north of my home in Rome.

See: http://www.blizzardmfg.com/

They build all aluminum trailers. They were great to work with and are glad to make customer requested adjustments to their standard trailers.

My trailer started as their Model 722 (box 7' wide, 22' long), usual height is 6'6". I had them reduce the height to 6'. The standard trailer, built to accommodate snowmobiles, has a ramp door in the front Vee. I had them install a standard access door instead.

I built and installed all the trailer's rigging to hold the Phoenix.

My empty weight, before Phoenix rigging, came to 2322 Lbs. Max Gross weight is 7000Lbs. I registered mine for 4500Lbs.

I will reweigh it, empty with rigging, and then with Phoenix and stored gear at some point late this fall.

The box is 22' , the Vee is 4'8" and measuring to the end of the tongue gives a total length of 29'9"

Cost before tax $8,780.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I never envisioned purchasing a trailer for the Phoenix since I have a hangar and can fly most places I want to go. Nevertheless, I've been giving some thought to buying/building a trailer now that I'm retiring and have more time to use the plane in a variety of settings. I've also had a few times when I've missed a club expedition or event on the other side of the mountains when I couldn't get over the passes VFR.

Don, do you have any more details on decisions you made (e.g., reducing the height of the trailer from standard), or any other advice for a new purchase? I have no experience in this area, and I don't' even know where to begin. Has anyone else built a custom trailer or used the trailer wing frame that Jim offers as a core element of the design?

• 2 months later...

Hi Ed, just saw your post. I don't get to the forum much. I reduced the height so the interior structure just clears my bald head. The 6" reduction in height reduced a bit of weight and drag and still lets me stand up inside. The layout of the interior to hold all the Phoenix's components just developed via common sense I guess. I am not sure if the wing frame that you see on Jim's web-site is really up for over the road trailering. I put around 8K miles a year on my set up and have not had any problems to date. My trailers dimensions are giving in a previous post. I don't think anything smaller would work out. I would recommend going with an all aluminum trailer to keep the weight down. It is also nice not to have to concern yourself with potential rust.