Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Using the Skyview autopilot for airspeed control

Eric Greenwell

• Registered

The Dynon Skyview autopilot works well, unless there is vertical movement in the air from thermals, wave, etc., which can cause wide variations in the IAS as it attempts to hold a constant altitude. For those conditions I'd rather it ignored the altitude, and held the IAS constant. That function is not available in SIMPLIFIED mode, but it is in EXPERT mode, so I switched from SIMPLIFIED (probably what most of us are using) to EXPERT, using the directions in the Installation Manual. Easy to do - just a simple selection.

I've only flown with the new mode once, using it off and on during an hour long flight. It's not as easy to engage initially as the SIMPLIFIED mode, but easy enough after doing it a few times. Disengaging it is the same button press for both. There wasn't much vertical movement in the air, but it did hold the speed +/- a knot or two as I varied the RPM from 3000 to 4500 rpm. Of course, it would climb at the higher power settings, and sink at the lower ones, though it was easy to find a power setting that maintained (on average) the altitude I wanted. And, it avoided the overspeeding (maybe to Vne?) and underspeeding (going really slow and close to stalling?) the "Altitude Hold" mode produces.

I like to hear from others that have tried it, especially if you think I'm missing some potential problems.

• 11 months later...

Hi Eric,

I have tried a few times to use the IAS mode in Expert mode, but have not had much luck. It seems to be the perfect solution to the speed going up and down when you cruise on thermic days. It should also be good for cruising between thermals when you have some 'other business' to attend to.

a) you don't seem to be able to set the IAS, only hold the speed at which you set it?

b) it seems to turn itself off quickly. Does it only apply during altitude changes?

I have watched some of the Dynon videos, but cant get any hints to what i am doing wrong.

Barry