Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Dry tank restart?

btrjillo

Hi Bryan,

Running a tank dry (on the ground), will not pose a problem, especially if you have an electric fuel pump for restart. Not sure why an electric fuel pump is an option on a Phoenix, (If anyone doesn't have one, it can be retrofitted).  I've run the tank(s) dry many times to recalibrate true fuel volumes, not in the Phoenix, but with other aircraft.  What's your reasoning for doing so, if you don't mind my asking?  Some people do this to evacuate the carbs of fuel for storage.  Remember, with a cold engine use full enricher (in reality not a choke, an enricher simply adds fuel for starting purposes), and zero throttle.  On a warm engine start, no enricher and 1/4" throttle +/-.  If carbs are balanced, and all settings are good, this should work every time.  After soaring, engine restart technique become more important, knowing engine temperature is critical, otherwise flooding can becomes a problem.  

Hi Ed, 

thanks for the reply.

The reason is  mainly for general knowledge,  so I don’t have to worry about being able to restart easily  if I use all the fuel in one tank, and therefore the carburetors.

The fuel gauges on my ship aren’t particularly accurate, and,  for example,  if I have an hour (or less) total fuel left, I’d like to have it all in one tank rather than split, especially if I don’t accurately know  how it is divided. Being able to draw down a tank a to a known amount  -zero- ,  would give me useful info.  

Also, knowing if a restart is quick and easy (or not) after switching to the other tank (with dry carbs), would be valuable info also.   
So far I’ve had no trouble restarting in flight after soaring. I usually start cranking and pull the ‘choke’ out slowly if It doesn’t immediately start.  

My ship does have both the mechanical and electric fuel pumps.   

Thanks!

Bryan 

I had a problem restarting after a ran a dry tank on my Phoenix. No way I got fuel to the engine, even with the e fuel pump. Tried everything. I had order a connector from Pure Flight, disconnect the fuel line from the wing tank, attached the connector, lifted the line plus connector above the cockpit, put fuel into the connector and let it run down to the carburator…….Lots of fun! Since then I NEVER set the tank switch to zero!!

Robert