Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2014 US TMG Fly-In | June 12-15 | Cottonwood/Sedona

Steve Sliwa

Touring Motor Glider Association’s Annual Fly-In

Cottonwood/Sedona, Arizona - Here We Come!

June 12-15, 2014

It’s now definite: Cottonwood, Arizona. A great small-town airport and community close to the world-famous Sedona Red Rock wonderland. Our local TMGA group surveyed the area and recommended the city known as the “Heart of the Verde Valley”. The city and the local community are really rolling out the red carpet for us. The municipal airport (3,560 MSL; 4,250 X 75 runway) has sufficient room for us (and we’re anticipating a lot of TMG’s on the ramp), they are making a large hangar available to us at no cost, waiving the tie down fees, and they’re offering low-cost fuel.

If you’ve been to one of the past Minden, Nevada Fly-Ins, you know how great they are: super soaring, a congenial group of aviators and those actively looking at TMGs, knowledge-sharing of aviation, maintenance, and safety issues, and just plane (couldn’t resist) fun.

The TMGA fly-In is the world’s largest gathering of touring motor gliders. At our previous events we had TMGs come from all over the country, and many potential TMG owners attended to check out the various aircraft. We expect that the major TMG importers (Pipistrel, Phoenix, Lambada, and Diamond) will again have aircraft there for demonstration rides. Other proud TMG owners of the legacy brands (Ximango, Grob, Taifun, Fournier, etc.) have always taken up non-owner attendees for rides.

For this Fly-In, when you combine fantastic soaring and a vacationers delight (some of the country’s best national parks, old west charm, mining camps, back country jeep tours, unique shopping and restaurants, etc.), you should definitely think of extending your stay to truly capture the spirit of the region. Sedona is 10 air miles and 19 car miles to the northeast. Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) is a two-hour drive to Cottonwood for those arriving commercially.

We’ve made special lodging arrangements with the Quality Inn of Cottonwood, and Enterprise Rent A Car. We’re currently working on some fun restaurants and group activities.

Richard Pearl & Steve Sliwa: 2014 TMGA Fly-In coordinators

Edited by Webmaster

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sliwa

• Richard Pearl

• chasers03

• Thermalseeker

Touring Motor Glider Association’s Annual Fly-In

Cottonwood/Sedona, Arizona - Here We Come!

June 12-15, 2014

It’s now definite: Cottonwood, Arizona. A great small-town airport and community close to the world-famous Sedona Red Rock wonderland. Our local TMGA group surveyed the area and recommended the city known as the “Heart of the Verde Valley”. The city and the local community are really rolling out the red carpet for us. The municipal airport (3,560 MSL; 4,250 X 75 runway) has sufficient room for us (and we’re anticipating a lot of TMG’s on the ramp), they are making a large hangar available to us at no cost, waiving the tie down fees, and they’re offering low-cost fuel.

If you’ve been to one of the past Minden, Nevada Fly-Ins, you know how great they are: super soaring, a congenial group of aviators and those actively looking at TMGs, knowledge-sharing of aviation, maintenance, and safety issues, and just plane (couldn’t resist) fun.

The TMGA fly-In is the world’s largest gathering of touring motor gliders. At our previous events we had TMGs come from all over the country, and many potential TMG owners attended to check out the various aircraft. We expect that the major TMG importers (Pipistrel, Phoenix, Lambada, and Diamond) will again have aircraft there for demonstration rides. Other proud TMG owners of the legacy brands (Ximango, Grob, Taifun, Fournier, etc.) have always taken up non-owner attendees for rides.

For this Fly-In, when you combine fantastic soaring and a vacationers delight (some of the country’s best national parks, old west charm, mining camps, back country jeep tours, unique shopping and restaurants, etc.), you should definitely think of extending your stay to truly capture the spirit of the region. Sedona is 10 air miles and 19 car miles to the northeast. Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) is a two-hour drive to Cottonwood for those arriving commercially.

We’ve made special lodging arrangements with the Quality Inn of Cottonwood, and Enterprise Rent A Car. We’re currently working on some fun restaurants and group activities.

Richard Pearl & Steve Sliwa: 2014 TMGA Fly-In coordinators

Edited by Webmaster

TMGA Member Ed Hanley posted the following as we prepared to announce the location for this year's fly-in:

I am ready to team with several of the SEZ (3)and PAN (1) motorglider pilots to make the TMGA Sedona flyin a winner for all the participants. We have a pretty close knit pilot group here and will be able to get quite a few interested in helping out.

Ed Hanley

TMGA Member Ed Hanley posted the following as we prepared to announce the location for this year's fly-in:

I am ready to team with several of the SEZ (3)and PAN (1) motorglider pilots to make the TMGA Sedona flyin a winner for all the participants. We have a pretty close knit pilot group here and will be able to get quite a few interested in helping out.

Ed Hanley

• 4 weeks later...
Carrell and I are considering booking a time share unit at Sedona Pines, http://www.sedonapines.com/ resort or The Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort https://www.diamondresorts.com/Rentals/the-ridge-on-sedona-golf-resort for the Flyin, week of June 7-14. Do you SEZ pilots have any opinions on one over the other?? Steve Chase Lambada 24PV

Steve, I live about three miles from the Sedona Pines Resort. It is a nice place, clean well managed and a little closer to P-52 (Cottonwood Airport) than the Sedona Golf Resort by a couple of miles. The Sedona Golf Resort is a high end resort with all the bells and whistles. If I had to pick I would certainly pick the Sedona Golf Resort. You can check them both out on goggle Earth.

Ed Hanley

Carrell and I are considering booking a time share unit at Sedona Pines, http://www.sedonapines.com/ resort or The Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort https://www.diamondresorts.com/Rentals/the-ridge-on-sedona-golf-resort for the Flyin, week of June 7-14. Do you SEZ pilots have any opinions on one over the other?? Steve Chase Lambada 24PV

Steve, I live about three miles from the Sedona Pines Resort. It is a nice place, clean well managed and a little closer to P-52 (Cottonwood Airport) than the Sedona Golf Resort by a couple of miles. The Sedona Golf Resort is a high end resort with all the bells and whistles. If I had to pick I would certainly pick the Sedona Golf Resort. You can check them both out on goggle Earth.

Ed Hanley

Ed Hanley and Jone Sieberts met with the airport commission on Dec 17. Here is their report:

Hi Richard, Ed & I met with city & airport officials yesterday. Everything has been approved. The free use of hangar, terminal building, help with setting up AV for presentations, free tie downs. Extra aircraft parking with installed cable if necessary. An airport vehicle @ our disposal for running people around the airport. (motel, restaurants). BTW they have some of the cheapest fuel prices in the SW.

That's all for now.. John

Ed Hanley and Jone Sieberts met with the airport commission on Dec 17. Here is their report:

Hi Richard, Ed & I met with city & airport officials yesterday. Everything has been approved. The free use of hangar, terminal building, help with setting up AV for presentations, free tie downs. Extra aircraft parking with installed cable if necessary. An airport vehicle @ our disposal for running people around the airport. (motel, restaurants). BTW they have some of the cheapest fuel prices in the SW.

That's all for now.. John

Here's something else to consider for those who might like to extend their trip a bit. The Telluride Bluegrass Festival is happening the weekend following the TMG gathering in Sedona. If you've never been to Telluride, you're in for a real treat. The scenery in Telluride is second to none and it's a perfect place for festivals. Telluride is about 260 nm northeast from Sedona:

http://www.bluegrass.com/telluride/

Here's something else to consider for those who might like to extend their trip a bit. The Telluride Bluegrass Festival is happening the weekend following the TMG gathering in Sedona. If you've never been to Telluride, you're in for a real treat. The scenery in Telluride is second to none and it's a perfect place for festivals. Telluride is about 260 nm northeast from Sedona:

This look like lots of fun. We were contacted by Mary McDowell, the owner and guide:

Edward, good morning.

I am the owner/outfitter for Arizona Offroad Tours, located in Camp Verde Az. Just outside of Sedona by about 30 minutes.

I am the 1st & only outfitter to be permitted by the Prescott National Forest for guided ATV tours.

I recently attended out monthly Verde Valley Tourism meeting & your Motor Glider event was a topic. We are excited to have you guys coming to our BEAUTIUFUL area.

I understand you are looking for interesting adventure outings for your flyers & fans & I have a perfect fit for your crowd.

I’d like an opportunity to be a choice for your audience please & would like to further discuss it when you have a chance.

Please check out the website listed below, as well as the Trip Advisor reviews to get a better feel of what I do.

Arizona Offroad Tours, LLC

Mary McDowall

Outfitter/Guide

http://www.myarizonaoffroadtour.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60904-d3317161-Reviews-Arizona_Offroad_Tours-Camp_Verde_Arizona.html#REVIEWS

https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaOffroadTours

This look like lots of fun. We were contacted by Mary McDowell, the owner and guide:

Edward, good morning.

I am the owner/outfitter for Arizona Offroad Tours, located in Camp Verde Az. Just outside of Sedona by about 30 minutes.

I am the 1st & only outfitter to be permitted by the Prescott National Forest for guided ATV tours.

I recently attended out monthly Verde Valley Tourism meeting & your Motor Glider event was a topic. We are excited to have you guys coming to our BEAUTIUFUL area.

I understand you are looking for interesting adventure outings for your flyers & fans & I have a perfect fit for your crowd.

I’d like an opportunity to be a choice for your audience please & would like to further discuss it when you have a chance.

Please check out the website listed below, as well as the Trip Advisor reviews to get a better feel of what I do.

Arizona Offroad Tours, LLC

Mary McDowall

Outfitter/Guide

http://www.myarizonaoffroadtour.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60904-d3317161-Reviews-Arizona_Offroad_Tours-Camp_Verde_Arizona.html#REVIEWS

https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaOffroadTours

• 3 weeks later...

We updated the mapping utility (located at Members > Maps) to include a file with the planned participants for the 2014 Fly-In. This way if one wants to fly with others on treks to the fly-in, it will be easier to see who might be coming from your region of the country. You may go directly to the mapping tool at this link.

Incidentally, several of fly-in attendees have not be formally mapped as a member or in the fleet. Use the button at the bottom of the mapping tool to submit your data. Ideally you should upload a photo of yourself and/or airplane to be included with the map marker.

We updated the mapping utility (located at Members > Maps) to include a file with the planned participants for the 2014 Fly-In. This way if one wants to fly with others on treks to the fly-in, it will be easier to see who might be coming from your region of the country. You may go directly to the mapping tool at this link.

Incidentally, several of fly-in attendees have not be formally mapped as a member or in the fleet. Use the button at the bottom of the mapping tool to submit your data. Ideally you should upload a photo of yourself and/or airplane to be included with the map marker.

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I'm planning--particularly since I lived on Wilson Mesa, just outside Telluweird, for 15 years (1988-2003), and we still have a house there.

That's what I'm planning--particularly since I lived on Wilson Mesa, just outside Telluweird, for 15 years (1988-2003), and we still have a house there.

It looks like Andy Robinson won't be able to fly his Cherokee 6 to Cottonwood this year. As a result we won't be offering aerial photos through his service. Of course, we expect the photos of the scenery to be breathtaking.

It looks like Andy Robinson won't be able to fly his Cherokee 6 to Cottonwood this year. As a result we won't be offering aerial photos through his service. Of course, we expect the photos of the scenery to be breathtaking.

You wouldn't happen to be a Telluride Air Force member, would you? Had some great times flying hang gliders from Gold Hill back in the 80's and 90's, that is until Oprah came to town......

You wouldn't happen to be a Telluride Air Force member, would you? Had some great times flying hang gliders from Gold Hill back in the 80's and 90's, that is until Oprah came to town......

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Tomazin and Joe Kulbeth of AIRUSA are being very optimistic that they will be able to show the new SUNDANCER at this TMGA gathering. Two aircraft are on the ship and on the way to arrive in Oakland, CA. March 5th.

The SUNDANCER is the new production aircraft glider after the Lambada. Same quality and the same performance as the Lambada.

Edited by airusa
some minor editing

Mike Tomazin and Joe Kulbeth of AIRUSA are being very optimistic that they will be able to show the new SUNDANCER at this TMGA gathering. Two aircraft are on the ship and on the way to arrive in Oakland, CA. March 5th.

The SUNDANCER is the new production aircraft glider after the Lambada. Same quality and the same performance as the Lambada.

Edited by airusa
some minor editing