Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2014 US TMG Fly-In | June 12-15 | Cottonwood/Sedona

Steve Sliwa

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sliwa

• Richard Pearl

• chasers03

• Thermalseeker

When I deleted a column from the sign-up table related to signing up for aerial photography (since Big Andy can't make it) I introduced a bug that would prevent people from saving edited entries. (An extra comma was present at the end of line ... arghhh!! ). This has now been fixed and if people need to add a line for attendance and/or update their entires it should be possible now.

Sorry for the frustration that some of you might have felt (looks normal, but entires not saved) and please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Cheers,

Steve

When I deleted a column from the sign-up table related to signing up for aerial photography (since Big Andy can't make it) I introduced a bug that would prevent people from saving edited entries. (An extra comma was present at the end of line ... arghhh!! ). This has now been fixed and if people need to add a line for attendance and/or update their entires it should be possible now.

Sorry for the frustration that some of you might have felt (looks normal, but entires not saved) and please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Flash news!

While Andy won't make it this year, Mike Tomazin (Lambada rep for the USA) has a friend who will most probably be traveling with him to the fly-in, and he is also an experienced aerial photographer, so it looks like the photo op session(s) are still on. Details will be forthcoming. Note: photo sessions will be shot in the order of the event sign-ups per the event sheet and, considering logistics, there may be a limit so get on the list now.

This is shaping up to be the best-attended event in our history, so if you're even thinking of coming, please sign up ASAP.

Regards,

Richard

Flash news!

While Andy won't make it this year, Mike Tomazin (Lambada rep for the USA) has a friend who will most probably be traveling with him to the fly-in, and he is also an experienced aerial photographer, so it looks like the photo op session(s) are still on. Details will be forthcoming. Note: photo sessions will be shot in the order of the event sign-ups per the event sheet and, considering logistics, there may be a limit so get on the list now.

This is shaping up to be the best-attended event in our history, so if you're even thinking of coming, please sign up ASAP.

Regards,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All, Will we have oxygen service for the fly in? The AFD shows no O2 for Cottonwood. Tnx, Randy Roth

We will check on this. Good reminder for our checklist.

Hi All, Will we have oxygen service for the fly in? The AFD shows no O2 for Cottonwood. Tnx, Randy Roth

We will check on this. Good reminder for our checklist.

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plans re photographs.

It looks like we should have the option of photo shoots. It appears that one of our participants will be flying to the event with an expert photographer as "co-pilot".

So, if you're interested, add that notation to the signup sheet. Photography will be done in the order of signup, and will depend on time availability. No price has

been set yet. It won't be inexpensive, but the picture will be priceless.

We're less than three months away from the Fly-In. If you haven't signed up yet (possible, probable, yes), please do so ASAP. There's a lot of coordination required for this event and we need to

get a handle on the number of participants. Please remember that the event is open to all TMG owners, pilots looking for TMGs (we'll probably have one of virtually every type on the flight line)

and those just interested in TMGs. Right now we have pilots coming from the four corners of the USA, plus a TMG pilot from Japan.

Post inquires in this Forum area, or email me directly at: richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org

Richard

Change of plans re photographs.

It looks like we should have the option of photo shoots. It appears that one of our participants will be flying to the event with an expert photographer as "co-pilot".

So, if you're interested, add that notation to the signup sheet. Photography will be done in the order of signup, and will depend on time availability. No price has

been set yet. It won't be inexpensive, but the picture will be priceless.

We're less than three months away from the Fly-In. If you haven't signed up yet (possible, probable, yes), please do so ASAP. There's a lot of coordination required for this event and we need to

get a handle on the number of participants. Please remember that the event is open to all TMG owners, pilots looking for TMGs (we'll probably have one of virtually every type on the flight line)

and those just interested in TMGs. Right now we have pilots coming from the four corners of the USA, plus a TMG pilot from Japan.

Post inquires in this Forum area, or email me directly at: richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org

Richard

If I may be of assistance. My name is Jim Dunkelberger and I own a 1962 single place Scheibe SF24B MotorSpatz project. I live in the Mogollon Airpark in Overgaard Arizona airport identifier AZ82. I will be flying to Cottonwood in my Navy U-11A Aztec and staying at the Quality Inn Friday and Saturday. I would be willing to do some sightseeing and photo flights. I live on AZ82 and would be willing to sponsor any TMGA members wanting to check out an Airpark or simply wanting to land here on a fly-out. Visit our Airpark website at AZ82.com and print out and fill out a "Hold Harmless" Agreement and have it in your posession upon landing. I or another Airpark home owner would need to meet and greet you and help with parking with all those long wings. Perhaps the association would want to arrange and sponsor a Fly-out as part of the activities. We have no services but it is a pretty place to visit. Brush up on you High Altitude Airport procedures and come visit. Jim Dunkelberger (707) 529-5858 a California transplant and new TMGA member

If I may be of assistance. My name is Jim Dunkelberger and I own a 1962 single place Scheibe SF24B MotorSpatz project. I live in the Mogollon Airpark in Overgaard Arizona airport identifier AZ82. I will be flying to Cottonwood in my Navy U-11A Aztec and staying at the Quality Inn Friday and Saturday. I would be willing to do some sightseeing and photo flights. I live on AZ82 and would be willing to sponsor any TMGA members wanting to check out an Airpark or simply wanting to land here on a fly-out. Visit our Airpark website at AZ82.com and print out and fill out a "Hold Harmless" Agreement and have it in your posession upon landing. I or another Airpark home owner would need to meet and greet you and help with parking with all those long wings. Perhaps the association would want to arrange and sponsor a Fly-out as part of the activities. We have no services but it is a pretty place to visit. Brush up on you High Altitude Airport procedures and come visit. Jim Dunkelberger (707) 529-5858 a California transplant and new TMGA member

Richard Mike I was inadvertently put down the list because of bugs in the website as well as the snafu on signing up procedures so I would like to be sure that I get a fairly high priority for photographs. Originally I was number four to sign up for this event.

Richard Mike I was inadvertently put down the list because of bugs in the website as well as the snafu on signing up procedures so I would like to be sure that I get a fairly high priority for photographs. Originally I was number four to sign up for this event.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve,

My HB-23 has a gigantic right side photo window (1' x1' removable acrylic panel). I've only done a little air-to-air photography, but am willing to give some snapshots a try. If Andy or another commercial photog can't make it, we might still have this as backup.

Hey Steve,

My HB-23 has a gigantic right side photo window (1' x1' removable acrylic panel). I've only done a little air-to-air photography, but am willing to give some snapshots a try. If Andy or another commercial photog can't make it, we might still have this as backup.

2014 TMGA Annual Fly-In

Cottonwood, Arizona

Status Report # 1

April 7, 2014

We are now only 9 weeks from the Cottonwood (Sedona) fly-in and this is our first, of several forthcoming, Status Report’s and check-lists for our attendees. This communication is being sent to all those who have already signed up, and those who have come to the event in the past or previously expressed an interest in coming.( We are sending this information out both via direct mail and through the TMGA Forum thread: Event Planning > 2014 US Fly-In. Please make sure you have this area “switched†on in your Preferences section.)

The 2014 event is shaping up to be our best-attended fly-in. The city of Cottonwood is going all out for us, and it will be an amazing experience for not only flying, but also for enjoying the sights of one of the premier locations in the USA. So, if you haven’t already signed up and are thinking of coming, NOW is the time to do so. Remember, there’s no penalty for signing up and not coming. To facilitate the decision we have options for Yes, Probable, and Maybe. Please note that if you’re planning on coming but don’t want to say Yes because of potential adverse weather, etc., we fully understand about the vagaries of weather, unexpected mechanical issues, and unknown business or family requirements. At this stage we need to start getting some hard numbers of attendees for our logistics requirements.

If you previously entered information on the spreadsheet (Events tab > 2014 Cottonwood section) but things have changed, e.g. you left the “lodging†column blank but now intend to stay at the “go-to†hotel (Quality Inn of Cottonwood), please make the appropriate changes ASAP.

Following is the current outline of events:

1. Wednesday and Thursday: Fly-in and an informal “meet and greetâ€. Bring tie down rope and chocks. We’re going to be max’ing out the airport apron and their tie down facilities may not line up with our wing-spans, so there will be a lot of improvising.

There will be no organized dinners, but we will be sending out suggestions for local dining.

2. Friday: First formal day. The orientation meeting will most likely be held in the conference center of the Quality Inn of Cottonwood. Note: the Q.I. is about ½ mile from the airport. In addition to a great room rate, and its location, a free breakfast is included in the rate. Book NOW!

The orientation session will include group introductions, a few words from the Mayor of Cottonwood or her designee, airport operations and special considerations, a weather briefing, and fly-out information for the day’s recommended trek. We’ll be setting up a flight plan for a fun place where we can also have lunch.

Friday dinner will be at the Blazin’M Ranch (optional, but worth it). This will be a “chuck wagon†dinner and stage show. The price is $32.50 including tax (but excluding drinks). We need to commit to a minimum of 20 people and advance a down payment. There is a 48 hour cancellation period. Action Item for you: use the TMGA PayPal option (Members tab > TMGA Store subtab > Events subtab > Blazin’M dinner button). The amount is set at $34.50/person to cover our PayPay account and handling. Another option is to send a personal check to me at: Richard Pearl, 2265 Longspur Loop, Lincoln, CA 954648.

3. Saturday: Weather briefing, fly-out information for the day, and retelling of “war stories†about Friday’s great flight

Saturday evening – dinner at the Quality Inn conference center, catered by the on-site restaurant Olivia’s. This is a Mexican, family-owned restaurant. It will most likely be a buffet of distinctive local foods. Action Item for you: use the TMGA PayPal option (Members tab > TMGA Store subtab > Events subtab > Olivia’s dinner button). The amount is set at $32/person (including tax and tip) to cover our PayPal account and handling. We need to make full payment to the restaurant 7 days before the dinner, so please get your payments in (cancellable prior to the 7 days.)

After dinner we’ll be treated to a special presentation by TMGA’er Peter Lert about his flight from Berlin, Germany to Nepal (and not direct), as part of a Himalaya atmospheric evaluation test. The flight was made in a Taifun touring motor glider! Who said these aren’t travelling machines. Peter gave an abridged version of the presentation at the Soaring Society of America’s biennial conference in Reno a few weeks ago. You’re going to have to see the photographs and listen to Peter’s adventures to believe this trip of a lifetime.

4. Sunday: Weather briefing, retelling of “war stories†about Saturday’s great flight, awards, and group photo. Fly-out/flying as desired.

Special notes:

1. Registration fees: $25 per airplane; includes pilot. Co-pilot and non-flying guests who participate in the activities - $10 per person. All funds go to pay for expenses not directly covered through other sources. You can pre-pay via our PayPal account. Go to Members > Merchandise > Events. Items can be individually selected and the “running†total displayed. If for some reason you are unable to come to the event your registration fee will be refunded.

2. The 2014 Fly-In remembrance will be a special TMGA coffee mug with our logo – and more importantly – an aerial picture of the Sedona landscape by local photographer and TMGA member Ted Grussing. The mug is included in the $25 registration fee, and additional mugs can be purchased for $10 each. Since these mugs are 2014-specific, you need to order additional mugs (any quantity) via the PayPal account, or personal check option noted above. We cannot refund pre-ordered extra mugs purchases but we will send it to you so you can see what you missed L.

3. Aerial Photography: Our previous photographer – Andy Robinson – cannot make it this year due to a business conflict, but TMGA’er Ted Grussing has offered his aerial photography services. More on this later, but there are only so many slots available because the shooting is done primarily in morning and there’s only so much time. We previously had a column in the spreadsheet for photography but that got deleted when it looked like we were not going to have this option. Action Item for you: Contact Richard Pearl directly at: Richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org. No cost has been set at this time. It won’t be cheap, but it will be memorable!

4. Cars: This is still a work in process. There are issues with Cottonwood being a small facility and they are not open on Sunday. We’re working with several area companies and will get more specific information out shortly. Action Item for you: List on the spreadsheet your transportation requirements, AND if you can accommodate additional passengers. We’re working on that. So, we suggest to not book at this time (unless you are flying in commercially to Phoenix and booking there) until we see how everything shapes up…but do enter your intentions in the spreadsheet.

5. Oxygen: O2 will be available through the personal large bottles owned by John Sieberts and Ed Hanley, augmented by rental bottles from the O2 provider. If you have any special fill attachments, you need to bring them. O2 costs will be set later but will be no more than standard commercial fills. We strongly suggest you fill your tank(s) completely before arriving at Cottonwood. All O2 fills will be done by John/Ed, and only at prescribed times in the morning.

6. Flying Instruction and Ratings – Need a BFR or a motor glider endorsement? Russ Hustead and several other attending CFIG’s are available… with the appropriate prior arrangements. Russ is coordinating this effort and you should contact him directly at: russ@skykingsoaring.com. Cost are based on requested services.

7. Other potential attendees: Yes, this is the TMGA annual fly-in but it’s open to everyone who has an interest in these wonderful machines, so get the word out! We already are having potential buyers come to check out the equipment. We’ll be having demo flights from various sources (manufacturers, TMG owners (like myself) who like to spread the word about the TMG life-style and will be giving rides). The rides are based on availability and time restrictions. Contact Richard Pearl if you’re interested in a ride. If you would be willing to give a short ride to someone, please email me directly (see item 5 above for contact info). In order to participate in the event, all attendees must be a TMGA’er. This is not too difficult a sell since the Association is free.

8. Commercial support: If you are a commercial provider of any service, we will be happy to showcase your products at the event. There is no cost, but donations are, of course, welcome.

2014 TMGA Annual Fly-In

Cottonwood, Arizona

Status Report # 1

April 7, 2014

We are now only 9 weeks from the Cottonwood (Sedona) fly-in and this is our first, of several forthcoming, Status Report’s and check-lists for our attendees. This communication is being sent to all those who have already signed up, and those who have come to the event in the past or previously expressed an interest in coming.( We are sending this information out both via direct mail and through the TMGA Forum thread: Event Planning > 2014 US Fly-In. Please make sure you have this area “switched†on in your Preferences section.)

The 2014 event is shaping up to be our best-attended fly-in. The city of Cottonwood is going all out for us, and it will be an amazing experience for not only flying, but also for enjoying the sights of one of the premier locations in the USA. So, if you haven’t already signed up and are thinking of coming, NOW is the time to do so. Remember, there’s no penalty for signing up and not coming. To facilitate the decision we have options for Yes, Probable, and Maybe. Please note that if you’re planning on coming but don’t want to say Yes because of potential adverse weather, etc., we fully understand about the vagaries of weather, unexpected mechanical issues, and unknown business or family requirements. At this stage we need to start getting some hard numbers of attendees for our logistics requirements.

If you previously entered information on the spreadsheet (Events tab > 2014 Cottonwood section) but things have changed, e.g. you left the “lodging†column blank but now intend to stay at the “go-to†hotel (Quality Inn of Cottonwood), please make the appropriate changes ASAP.

Following is the current outline of events:

1. Wednesday and Thursday: Fly-in and an informal “meet and greetâ€. Bring tie down rope and chocks. We’re going to be max’ing out the airport apron and their tie down facilities may not line up with our wing-spans, so there will be a lot of improvising.

There will be no organized dinners, but we will be sending out suggestions for local dining.

2. Friday: First formal day. The orientation meeting will most likely be held in the conference center of the Quality Inn of Cottonwood. Note: the Q.I. is about ½ mile from the airport. In addition to a great room rate, and its location, a free breakfast is included in the rate. Book NOW!

The orientation session will include group introductions, a few words from the Mayor of Cottonwood or her designee, airport operations and special considerations, a weather briefing, and fly-out information for the day’s recommended trek. We’ll be setting up a flight plan for a fun place where we can also have lunch.

Friday dinner will be at the Blazin’M Ranch (optional, but worth it). This will be a “chuck wagon†dinner and stage show. The price is $32.50 including tax (but excluding drinks). We need to commit to a minimum of 20 people and advance a down payment. There is a 48 hour cancellation period. Action Item for you: use the TMGA PayPal option (Members tab > TMGA Store subtab > Events subtab > Blazin’M dinner button). The amount is set at $34.50/person to cover our PayPay account and handling. Another option is to send a personal check to me at: Richard Pearl, 2265 Longspur Loop, Lincoln, CA 954648.

3. Saturday: Weather briefing, fly-out information for the day, and retelling of “war stories†about Friday’s great flight

Saturday evening – dinner at the Quality Inn conference center, catered by the on-site restaurant Olivia’s. This is a Mexican, family-owned restaurant. It will most likely be a buffet of distinctive local foods. Action Item for you: use the TMGA PayPal option (Members tab > TMGA Store subtab > Events subtab > Olivia’s dinner button). The amount is set at $32/person (including tax and tip) to cover our PayPal account and handling. We need to make full payment to the restaurant 7 days before the dinner, so please get your payments in (cancellable prior to the 7 days.)

After dinner we’ll be treated to a special presentation by TMGA’er Peter Lert about his flight from Berlin, Germany to Nepal (and not direct), as part of a Himalaya atmospheric evaluation test. The flight was made in a Taifun touring motor glider! Who said these aren’t travelling machines. Peter gave an abridged version of the presentation at the Soaring Society of America’s biennial conference in Reno a few weeks ago. You’re going to have to see the photographs and listen to Peter’s adventures to believe this trip of a lifetime.

4. Sunday: Weather briefing, retelling of “war stories†about Saturday’s great flight, awards, and group photo. Fly-out/flying as desired.

Special notes:

1. Registration fees: $25 per airplane; includes pilot. Co-pilot and non-flying guests who participate in the activities - $10 per person. All funds go to pay for expenses not directly covered through other sources. You can pre-pay via our PayPal account. Go to Members > Merchandise > Events. Items can be individually selected and the “running†total displayed. If for some reason you are unable to come to the event your registration fee will be refunded.

2. The 2014 Fly-In remembrance will be a special TMGA coffee mug with our logo – and more importantly – an aerial picture of the Sedona landscape by local photographer and TMGA member Ted Grussing. The mug is included in the $25 registration fee, and additional mugs can be purchased for $10 each. Since these mugs are 2014-specific, you need to order additional mugs (any quantity) via the PayPal account, or personal check option noted above. We cannot refund pre-ordered extra mugs purchases but we will send it to you so you can see what you missed L.

3. Aerial Photography: Our previous photographer – Andy Robinson – cannot make it this year due to a business conflict, but TMGA’er Ted Grussing has offered his aerial photography services. More on this later, but there are only so many slots available because the shooting is done primarily in morning and there’s only so much time. We previously had a column in the spreadsheet for photography but that got deleted when it looked like we were not going to have this option. Action Item for you: Contact Richard Pearl directly at: Richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org. No cost has been set at this time. It won’t be cheap, but it will be memorable!

4. Cars: This is still a work in process. There are issues with Cottonwood being a small facility and they are not open on Sunday. We’re working with several area companies and will get more specific information out shortly. Action Item for you: List on the spreadsheet your transportation requirements, AND if you can accommodate additional passengers. We’re working on that. So, we suggest to not book at this time (unless you are flying in commercially to Phoenix and booking there) until we see how everything shapes up…but do enter your intentions in the spreadsheet.

5. Oxygen: O2 will be available through the personal large bottles owned by John Sieberts and Ed Hanley, augmented by rental bottles from the O2 provider. If you have any special fill attachments, you need to bring them. O2 costs will be set later but will be no more than standard commercial fills. We strongly suggest you fill your tank(s) completely before arriving at Cottonwood. All O2 fills will be done by John/Ed, and only at prescribed times in the morning.

6. Flying Instruction and Ratings – Need a BFR or a motor glider endorsement? Russ Hustead and several other attending CFIG’s are available… with the appropriate prior arrangements. Russ is coordinating this effort and you should contact him directly at: russ@skykingsoaring.com. Cost are based on requested services.

7. Other potential attendees: Yes, this is the TMGA annual fly-in but it’s open to everyone who has an interest in these wonderful machines, so get the word out! We already are having potential buyers come to check out the equipment. We’ll be having demo flights from various sources (manufacturers, TMG owners (like myself) who like to spread the word about the TMG life-style and will be giving rides). The rides are based on availability and time restrictions. Contact Richard Pearl if you’re interested in a ride. If you would be willing to give a short ride to someone, please email me directly (see item 5 above for contact info). In order to participate in the event, all attendees must be a TMGA’er. This is not too difficult a sell since the Association is free.

8. Commercial support: If you are a commercial provider of any service, we will be happy to showcase your products at the event. There is no cost, but donations are, of course, welcome.

Additional points to the Status Report

Other potential attendees: Yes, this is the TMGA annual fly-in but it’s open to everyone who has an interest in these wonderful machines, so get the word out! We already are having potential buyers come to check out the equipment. We’ll be having demo flights from various sources (manufacturers, TMG owners (like myself) who like to spread the word about the TMG life-style and will be giving rides). The rides are based on availability and time restrictions. Contact Richard Pearl if you’re interested in a ride. If you would be willing to give a short ride to someone, please email me directly (see item 5 above for contact info). In order to participate in the event, all attendees must be a TMGA’er. This is not too difficult a sell since the Association is free.

Check List items:

ü Re-validate event spreadsheet

ü Make hotel reservations

ü Prepay for meals

ü Prepay registration fees

ü Send email to Richard Pearl re souvenir mugs (for co-pilots, non-flying attendees, and extra orders)

ü Sign up for aerial photo’s and flight instruction/endorsements

Additional points to the Status Report

Other potential attendees: Yes, this is the TMGA annual fly-in but it’s open to everyone who has an interest in these wonderful machines, so get the word out! We already are having potential buyers come to check out the equipment. We’ll be having demo flights from various sources (manufacturers, TMG owners (like myself) who like to spread the word about the TMG life-style and will be giving rides). The rides are based on availability and time restrictions. Contact Richard Pearl if you’re interested in a ride. If you would be willing to give a short ride to someone, please email me directly (see item 5 above for contact info). In order to participate in the event, all attendees must be a TMGA’er. This is not too difficult a sell since the Association is free.

Check List items:

ü Re-validate event spreadsheet

ü Make hotel reservations

ü Prepay for meals

ü Prepay registration fees

ü Send email to Richard Pearl re souvenir mugs (for co-pilots, non-flying attendees, and extra orders)

ü Sign up for aerial photo’s and flight instruction/endorsements

• 3 weeks later...

TMGA FLY-IN: COTTONWOOD, AZ - 2014

Pilot Pre-Event Checklist

1. Update Sign-Up Sheet: Please go into the Events tab > 2014 Fly-In Sign Up Sheet and update your information. There are numerous entries currently noted as “Probable†when in fact hotel rooms have already been reserved. Please update all applicable fields

2. Dinner Prepayment Requirements: We need to guarantee certain levels at the Friday and Saturday night dinners 30 days in advance. Therefore, we need you to prepay (preferably via the TMGA Store (Members tab > TMGA Store > Events), or write a check to the TMGA and sent (% Richard Pearl) to: 2265 Longspur loop, Lincoln, CA 95648), ASAP.

· Friday: Blazin-M BBQ & show is $34.50.

· Saturday: Dinner and Special Himalaya Flight presentation at Olivia’s (hotel conference room) is $32.00.

Each has a separate selection in the TMGA Store. You can find the tickets at Members tab > TMGA Store and then navigate to the events section.

Reservations will only be made for those who prepay; we cannot afford to advance the reservation on the hope that you will come.

The cutoff date is May 12th!

3. Quality Inn – we currently have 31 rooms booked, so we qualify for their main conference room at no cost to the TMGA. Thanks, all. If you haven’t booked your room, you need to do so ASAP. Once the hotel is booked out, all latecomers are on their own.

4. Cars – We’ve made arrangements with Airport Car Rental of Sedona (www.airportrentacarofsedona.com). The Sedona operation is about 20 miles from Cottonwood, is open 7 days a week (9-5), they have competitive rates and will do a drop off and pick up for a flat $10 per car each way (or you can get to Sedona and just pick up the car there for no additional fee). If you do the Cottonwood (extra fee) arrangement, they will leave the car with the keys at the Cottonwood airport.

You need to make your own arrangement directly with the car rental company. Call Debbie at: 928.282.2227. They have 13 compacts at $24.95/day (total with tax - $30.53) and 11 full size cars at $39.95/day ($47.69 with tax).

Once those are gone you need to book with Enterprise collocated at the Cottonwood Airport. We aren’t recommending them because they didn’t have enough cars on hand and additional cars would have to be brought up from Phoenix at a high extra charge, plus they are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

The hotel is within walking distance (about ½ mile) and the Saturday night dinner is at the Quality Inn, but the Friday night dinner is off-site (and walking back and forth to the airport may get tiresome) so you need to be pro-active in the car situation.

We hope to have extra vehicle seats available. Those that have cars please help out; if you have a seat (s) available please post that in the Forum Event 2014 thread section. Those without cars will need to arrange for rides.

5. Souvenir Coffee Cups –These are Cottonwood and date specific, and we need to pre-order. We will be ordering only enough for those who prepay. Note: one cup is included in the $25 Pilot registration fee and will be delivered at the event. Additional cups may be ordered at $10 each prior to the event using the Merchandise Tab at the TMGA Store. Just Navigate to Members > TMGA Store

6. Event Registration: Registration fees (pilot ($25), copilot ($10), all other participants ($10). Please use the TMGA store option if possible for this, the dinners, and the extra mugs. Members > TMGA Store

7. Local Activities: Please let me know if anyone in your party will not be flying and would like to join others in doing some local touring. For example, I’m flying out with fellow pilot Tom Camille, and my wife, Penny, is coming commercial via Phoenix. Penny will be doing the local “thing†while we’re tooling about the sky and would be interested in having others join her (itinerary to be decided). Therefore, please write to me directly (pennyrich@aol.com) if someone with you wants to go touring. There are an incredible variety of things to do in the Cottonwood/Sedona area. This activity will be a separate coordination effort so let me know. Potential activities include:

Verde Canyon Railroad (www.verdecanyourr.com)

Out of Africa Wildlife Park (www.outofafricapark.com)

Arizona Off road Tours (www.myarizonaoffroadtours.com)

Pink Jeep Tours – Penny & I did this previously; incredible fun (www.pinkjeeptours.com)

Alcantara Vineyard (www.alcantaravineyard.com)

Old town Jerome (mining and history); old town Cottonwood.

Gold king Mine Ghost Town (www.goldkingmineghosttown.com)

This event will clearly be the largest gathering of TMGs at a special event in not just the USA, but also most likely the world.

Finally, please do the requested signups and payments ASAP.

A little less than eight weeks and counting!

Edited by Richard Pearl
Payment options edit

TMGA FLY-IN: COTTONWOOD, AZ - 2014

Pilot Pre-Event Checklist

1. Update Sign-Up Sheet: Please go into the Events tab > 2014 Fly-In Sign Up Sheet and update your information. There are numerous entries currently noted as “Probable†when in fact hotel rooms have already been reserved. Please update all applicable fields

2. Dinner Prepayment Requirements: We need to guarantee certain levels at the Friday and Saturday night dinners 30 days in advance. Therefore, we need you to prepay (preferably via the TMGA Store (Members tab > TMGA Store > Events), or write a check to the TMGA and sent (% Richard Pearl) to: 2265 Longspur loop, Lincoln, CA 95648), ASAP.

· Friday: Blazin-M BBQ & show is $34.50.

· Saturday: Dinner and Special Himalaya Flight presentation at Olivia’s (hotel conference room) is $32.00.

Each has a separate selection in the TMGA Store. You can find the tickets at Members tab > TMGA Store and then navigate to the events section.

Reservations will only be made for those who prepay; we cannot afford to advance the reservation on the hope that you will come.

The cutoff date is May 12th!

3. Quality Inn – we currently have 31 rooms booked, so we qualify for their main conference room at no cost to the TMGA. Thanks, all. If you haven’t booked your room, you need to do so ASAP. Once the hotel is booked out, all latecomers are on their own.

4. Cars – We’ve made arrangements with Airport Car Rental of Sedona (www.airportrentacarofsedona.com). The Sedona operation is about 20 miles from Cottonwood, is open 7 days a week (9-5), they have competitive rates and will do a drop off and pick up for a flat $10 per car each way (or you can get to Sedona and just pick up the car there for no additional fee). If you do the Cottonwood (extra fee) arrangement, they will leave the car with the keys at the Cottonwood airport.

You need to make your own arrangement directly with the car rental company. Call Debbie at: 928.282.2227. They have 13 compacts at $24.95/day (total with tax - $30.53) and 11 full size cars at $39.95/day ($47.69 with tax).

Once those are gone you need to book with Enterprise collocated at the Cottonwood Airport. We aren’t recommending them because they didn’t have enough cars on hand and additional cars would have to be brought up from Phoenix at a high extra charge, plus they are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

The hotel is within walking distance (about ½ mile) and the Saturday night dinner is at the Quality Inn, but the Friday night dinner is off-site (and walking back and forth to the airport may get tiresome) so you need to be pro-active in the car situation.

We hope to have extra vehicle seats available. Those that have cars please help out; if you have a seat (s) available please post that in the Forum Event 2014 thread section. Those without cars will need to arrange for rides.

5. Souvenir Coffee Cups –These are Cottonwood and date specific, and we need to pre-order. We will be ordering only enough for those who prepay. Note: one cup is included in the $25 Pilot registration fee and will be delivered at the event. Additional cups may be ordered at $10 each prior to the event using the Merchandise Tab at the TMGA Store. Just Navigate to Members > TMGA Store

6. Event Registration: Registration fees (pilot ($25), copilot ($10), all other participants ($10). Please use the TMGA store option if possible for this, the dinners, and the extra mugs. Members > TMGA Store

7. Local Activities: Please let me know if anyone in your party will not be flying and would like to join others in doing some local touring. For example, I’m flying out with fellow pilot Tom Camille, and my wife, Penny, is coming commercial via Phoenix. Penny will be doing the local “thing†while we’re tooling about the sky and would be interested in having others join her (itinerary to be decided). Therefore, please write to me directly (pennyrich@aol.com) if someone with you wants to go touring. There are an incredible variety of things to do in the Cottonwood/Sedona area. This activity will be a separate coordination effort so let me know. Potential activities include:

Verde Canyon Railroad (www.verdecanyourr.com)

Arizona Off road Tours (www.myarizonaoffroadtours.com)

Pink Jeep Tours – Penny & I did this previously; incredible fun (www.pinkjeeptours.com)

This event will clearly be the largest gathering of TMGs at a special event in not just the USA, but also most likely the world.

Finally, please do the requested signups and payments ASAP.

A little less than eight weeks and counting!

Edited by Richard Pearl
Payment options edit

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

We're now six weeks away from our biggest and best-ever fly-in. We'll be updating the event status every two weeks, or sooner if necessary

[Note: if you want to be taken off this special email communication, please email me directly at: richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org]

Critical Check List Items:

Lodging Reservations [item 1 below]

Rental Car Reservation (if desired) [item 2]

Friday Dinner Event Tickets [item 3]

Saturday Dinner Event Tickets [item 4]

Update the Sign-Up Sheet [item 5]

Here's the important information and updates:

1. Make your hotel reservations directly with the Quality Inn of Cottonwood. (928.634.4207) The cut-off date for the reduced room rate is May 12th. Note, we also arranged for a cancellation policy of 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.

2. Cars - We’ve made arrangements with Airport Car Rental of Sedona (www.airportrentacarofsedona.com).

a. The Sedona operation is about 20 miles from Cottonwood, is open 7 days a week (9-5), they have competitive rates and will do a drop off and pick up for a flat $10 per car each way (or you can get to Sedona and just pick up the car there for no additional fee). If you do the Cottonwood (extra fee) arrangement, they will leave the car with the keys at the Cottonwood airport.

b. You need to make your own arrangement directly with the car rental company. Call Debbie at: 918.282.2227. They have 13 compacts at $24.95/day (total with tax - $30.53) and 11 full size cars at $39.95/day ($47.69 with tax). Once those are gone you need to book with Enterprise (see above).

c. Cottonwood Airport is a fenced airport. Airport vehicle access will have special access code 8818 for our event. The code will be good from Sat. June 7th- Sat the 21st. If you rent from Airport Rentals of Sedona the keys & contract will in the glove box in an envelope with the renter’s name. To avoid subsequent billings, you should fill the tank @ the Maverick station near airport, put the keys & contract back in glove box & lock the car before leaving.

d. If you are not planning on renting a car, you are at the mercy of the "kindness of strangers" (to quote a famous person from the past). If you have a seat(s) and want to do a shared cost, let that be known. We generally haven't had problems in this area in prior events but there were more locals to offer rides. We will probably have a loaner vehicle from the Airport for shuttling between the airport and the hotel, but this cannot be used to the off-site Friday night dinners, or other dinners, or personal sightseeing. Note, the Airport is about 0.8 miles from the hotel.

3. Friday night Blazin ‘M dinner/show:

a. $34.50 if purchased on or before May 30

b. $38.00 if purchased after May 30

c. Due to advance deposit requirements seats not guaranteed after May 30

4. Saturday Night (original, family Mexican) Dinner, Award presentations, and Peter Lert’s exciting talk on soaring his Taifun TMG in the Himalaya’s (and the journey there):

a. $32.00 if purchased on or before June 1

b. $35.00 if purchased after June 1

c. Due to advance deposit requirements seats not guaranteed after June 1

5. It's critical that you go into the TMGA website and update your Event data if you're planning on coming, i.e. attendance (yes, probable, maybe), arrival time, car requirements, etc.

[Log into TMGA website and navigate to: Events > 2014 Fly-In Sign-Up Sheet.]

6. Go to the website and prepay for registration and the two "formal" dinners Members > TMGA Store > Events, then specific buttons for registration and the dinners. See the end of this bulletin for screen shots if you need help.

7. A souvenir mug is included in each paid Pilot registration. If you want additional mugs, or you are a non aircraft fly-in pilot and want one, you can pre-order a mug through the website Members > Merchandise > 2014 Fly-In mug. We will be ordering only enough to cover pre-paid requests.

8. Wednesday/Thursday dinners - these will be "unorganized", i.e. everyone is on their own, but we'll have suggestions from the local pilot group in a subsequent communication.

9. If possible, fill your O2 tanks before you arrive at Cottonwood. We will have O2 available (sold at cost) and is dependent on our local TMGA members being there when you need it.

10. If you’re interested in participating in the air-to-air photo shoot ($125/ship plus prints) there will be a sign-up sheet at registration for those who haven’t already contacted us.

11. Our morning briefings will be at the Quality Inn conference Center. Friday-Saturday-Sunday beginning at 8:30. Coffee will be on hand.

12. We (TMGA) will have a “Square†on site to accept registration fees and donations via your credit card. Pre-paying, however, is the way to go!

13. Attached is an Cottonwood Airport Map and their SOP’s. Please bring these with you.

14. When you arrive at Cottonwood, our goal is to have you met by a volunteer “ramp bossâ€. Please follow their directions to your spot. You need to bring tie down rope and chocks. The local tie-down areas are not structured to accommodate our longer wings.

15. Attached is a Registration Form that you will be asked to submit upon arrival. You may fill it out prior and bring it with you to facilitate arrival logistics.

16. We’re working on non-aviation activities. Please let me (Richard Pearl) know what days you want to join in on these activities. Several require prepayments – which will have to be done directly by you. For example, we’re thinking about a Pink Jeep tour on Friday, June 14th. You need to contact Richard to get included in this, and other Groups. Possible options:

Verde Canyon Railroad (www.verdecanyonurr.com)

Arizona Off road Tours (www.myarizonaoffroadtour.com)

And finally,

17. As long as you’re pre-paying the registration and dinners, think about becoming a TMGA financial backer (as many of the registrants already have done – thank you all). Full Member ($15); Platinum Member ($25); Diamond Member ($50); Benefactor ($100); Patron ($250). The TMGA is an all-volunteer, web-based association of TMG enthusiasts. 100% of all donations goes for hard costs to maintain the website and purchase materials. To donate, go to Members > TMGA Store > Donations.

Edited by Richard Pearl
readibility

Greetings

We're now six weeks away from our biggest and best-ever fly-in. We'll be updating the event status every two weeks, or sooner if necessary

[Note: if you want to be taken off this special email communication, please email me directly at: richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org]

Critical Check List Items:

Lodging Reservations [item 1 below]

Rental Car Reservation (if desired) [item 2]

Friday Dinner Event Tickets [item 3]

Saturday Dinner Event Tickets [item 4]

Update the Sign-Up Sheet [item 5]

Here's the important information and updates:

1. Make your hotel reservations directly with the Quality Inn of Cottonwood. (928.634.4207) The cut-off date for the reduced room rate is May 12th. Note, we also arranged for a cancellation policy of 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.

2. Cars - We’ve made arrangements with Airport Car Rental of Sedona (www.airportrentacarofsedona.com).

a. The Sedona operation is about 20 miles from Cottonwood, is open 7 days a week (9-5), they have competitive rates and will do a drop off and pick up for a flat $10 per car each way (or you can get to Sedona and just pick up the car there for no additional fee). If you do the Cottonwood (extra fee) arrangement, they will leave the car with the keys at the Cottonwood airport.

b. You need to make your own arrangement directly with the car rental company. Call Debbie at: 918.282.2227. They have 13 compacts at $24.95/day (total with tax - $30.53) and 11 full size cars at $39.95/day ($47.69 with tax). Once those are gone you need to book with Enterprise (see above).

c. Cottonwood Airport is a fenced airport. Airport vehicle access will have special access code 8818 for our event. The code will be good from Sat. June 7th- Sat the 21st. If you rent from Airport Rentals of Sedona the keys & contract will in the glove box in an envelope with the renter’s name. To avoid subsequent billings, you should fill the tank @ the Maverick station near airport, put the keys & contract back in glove box & lock the car before leaving.

d. If you are not planning on renting a car, you are at the mercy of the "kindness of strangers" (to quote a famous person from the past). If you have a seat(s) and want to do a shared cost, let that be known. We generally haven't had problems in this area in prior events but there were more locals to offer rides. We will probably have a loaner vehicle from the Airport for shuttling between the airport and the hotel, but this cannot be used to the off-site Friday night dinners, or other dinners, or personal sightseeing. Note, the Airport is about 0.8 miles from the hotel.

3. Friday night Blazin ‘M dinner/show:

a. $34.50 if purchased on or before May 30

b. $38.00 if purchased after May 30

c. Due to advance deposit requirements seats not guaranteed after May 30

4. Saturday Night (original, family Mexican) Dinner, Award presentations, and Peter Lert’s exciting talk on soaring his Taifun TMG in the Himalaya’s (and the journey there):

a. $32.00 if purchased on or before June 1

b. $35.00 if purchased after June 1

c. Due to advance deposit requirements seats not guaranteed after June 1

5. It's critical that you go into the TMGA website and update your Event data if you're planning on coming, i.e. attendance (yes, probable, maybe), arrival time, car requirements, etc.

[Log into TMGA website and navigate to: Events > 2014 Fly-In Sign-Up Sheet.]

6. Go to the website and prepay for registration and the two "formal" dinners Members > TMGA Store > Events, then specific buttons for registration and the dinners. See the end of this bulletin for screen shots if you need help.

7. A souvenir mug is included in each paid Pilot registration. If you want additional mugs, or you are a non aircraft fly-in pilot and want one, you can pre-order a mug through the website Members > Merchandise > 2014 Fly-In mug. We will be ordering only enough to cover pre-paid requests.

8. Wednesday/Thursday dinners - these will be "unorganized", i.e. everyone is on their own, but we'll have suggestions from the local pilot group in a subsequent communication.

9. If possible, fill your O2 tanks before you arrive at Cottonwood. We will have O2 available (sold at cost) and is dependent on our local TMGA members being there when you need it.

10. If you’re interested in participating in the air-to-air photo shoot ($125/ship plus prints) there will be a sign-up sheet at registration for those who haven’t already contacted us.

11. Our morning briefings will be at the Quality Inn conference Center. Friday-Saturday-Sunday beginning at 8:30. Coffee will be on hand.

12. We (TMGA) will have a “Square†on site to accept registration fees and donations via your credit card. Pre-paying, however, is the way to go!

13. Attached is an Cottonwood Airport Map and their SOP’s. Please bring these with you.

14. When you arrive at Cottonwood, our goal is to have you met by a volunteer “ramp bossâ€. Please follow their directions to your spot. You need to bring tie down rope and chocks. The local tie-down areas are not structured to accommodate our longer wings.

15. Attached is a Registration Form that you will be asked to submit upon arrival. You may fill it out prior and bring it with you to facilitate arrival logistics.

16. We’re working on non-aviation activities. Please let me (Richard Pearl) know what days you want to join in on these activities. Several require prepayments – which will have to be done directly by you. For example, we’re thinking about a Pink Jeep tour on Friday, June 14th. You need to contact Richard to get included in this, and other Groups. Possible options:

Verde Canyon Railroad (www.verdecanyonurr.com)

Arizona Off road Tours (www.myarizonaoffroadtour.com)

And finally,

17. As long as you’re pre-paying the registration and dinners, think about becoming a TMGA financial backer (as many of the registrants already have done – thank you all). Full Member ($15); Platinum Member ($25); Diamond Member ($50); Benefactor ($100); Patron ($250). The TMGA is an all-volunteer, web-based association of TMG enthusiasts. 100% of all donations goes for hard costs to maintain the website and purchase materials. To donate, go to Members > TMGA Store > Donations.

Edited by Richard Pearl
readibility