Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2014 US TMG Fly-In | June 12-15 | Cottonwood/Sedona

Steve Sliwa

I am making my first trip west. Leaving San Antonio, headed to Cottonwood. I will be flying VFR exclusively. I could use any tips on route planning for the low time pilot. I have about 125 hours and my aircraft is a Pipistrel Virus SW. I have flown above 12000 feet, but only briefly. I have autopilot and dual GPS on glass panel and Garmin Pilot with ADS-B. I am not too proud to take any suggestions.

Shane Mitchell

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sliwa

• Richard Pearl

• chasers03

• Thermalseeker

I am making my first trip west. Leaving San Antonio, headed to Cottonwood. I will be flying VFR exclusively. I could use any tips on route planning for the low time pilot. I have about 125 hours and my aircraft is a Pipistrel Virus SW. I have flown above 12000 feet, but only briefly. I have autopilot and dual GPS on glass panel and Garmin Pilot with ADS-B. I am not too proud to take any suggestions.

Shane Mitchell

You need to decide how many legs you want to make this trip. If you want to do 2 long legs you might stop at KELP. Alternatively, you might add a stop at KFST along the way to break up the first leg a bit more. This should be quite an adventure for you. Looking forward to hearing about it when we see you in Cottonwood.

You need to decide how many legs you want to make this trip. If you want to do 2 long legs you might stop at KELP. Alternatively, you might add a stop at KFST along the way to break up the first leg a bit more. This should be quite an adventure for you. Looking forward to hearing about it when we see you in Cottonwood.

FYI for anyone leaving from the SE, on June 4 24PV Lambada will leaving and arriving Sedona Sat June 7 via PDK -Peachtree Dekalb ,HAB -Marion Co, HEE (Thompson Robbins overnight), MLC -McAlester, AXS (Altus overnight), CVN -Clovis, E80 (Alexander overnight), SEZ -Sedona, Carrell and I would love to connect up with anyone who might be on a similar path at 100 mph. Each of the 8 legs averages 3 hrs depending on winds......

FYI for anyone leaving from the SE, on June 4 24PV Lambada will leaving and arriving Sedona Sat June 7 via PDK -Peachtree Dekalb ,HAB -Marion Co, HEE (Thompson Robbins overnight), MLC -McAlester, AXS (Altus overnight), CVN -Clovis, E80 (Alexander overnight), SEZ -Sedona, Carrell and I would love to connect up with anyone who might be on a similar path at 100 mph. Each of the 8 legs averages 3 hrs depending on winds......

Best wishes for this years event from all us TMG enthusiasts at East Rand Touring Motor Glider Club, Johannesburg, South Africa. We would love to join you. Maybe next year if we can source a local TMG for an extended stay and do some touring.

Safe flying to all.

Ollie - Chairman ERGC

Best wishes for this years event from all us TMG enthusiasts at East Rand Touring Motor Glider Club, Johannesburg, South Africa. We would love to join you. Maybe next year if we can source a local TMG for an extended stay and do some touring.

Safe flying to all.

Ollie - Chairman ERGC

Ollie

Thank you for your, and your fellow TMG'ers, well wishes on the upcoming 2014 Touring Motor Glider Fly-In. Yes, it's shaping up to be a grand event.

It would be outstanding if we could turn this into a truly International event. We're well on our with this, since we have Grob 109 pilot Hideki Matsuura coming all the way from Japan just to join us. We are definitely looking forward to his visit. With 24 current South African members already on the TMGA (and I'm sure there are many more potential TMG owners and serious "lookers", you could hold your own Regional TMGA fly-in. Our web site is a great way to facilitate the logistics.

We usually pick our next year's event site in November. Keep posted.:) There aren't many TMGs for rent, but we can work on this (after the event, when we've recovered!)

Warmest Regards,

Richard

Ollie

Thank you for your, and your fellow TMG'ers, well wishes on the upcoming 2014 Touring Motor Glider Fly-In. Yes, it's shaping up to be a grand event.

It would be outstanding if we could turn this into a truly International event. We're well on our with this, since we have Grob 109 pilot Hideki Matsuura coming all the way from Japan just to join us. We are definitely looking forward to his visit. With 24 current South African members already on the TMGA (and I'm sure there are many more potential TMG owners and serious "lookers", you could hold your own Regional TMGA fly-in. Our web site is a great way to facilitate the logistics.

We usually pick our next year's event site in November. Keep posted.:) There aren't many TMGs for rent, but we can work on this (after the event, when we've recovered!)

Warmest Regards,

Richard

Well, we’re down to a mere three weeks until the start of our biggest and best TMGA Fly-In. The response from our flying buddies has been outstanding, and we’re anticipating a fabulous event in a new and exceptionally beautiful flying location. If you’re “on the fence” about whether to come, there’s still time to register and join the party.

We’re expecting 35-40 aircraft and an additional number of very serious pilots looking to buy a TMG. Add in co-pilots and we’ve got quite the gathering going. The map at the bottom shows most of our attendees. The actual map can be found via the Members > Maps > 2014 Fly-In button.

Many pilots are arriving on Wednesday and several are leaving on Monday (Thursday – Sunday being the official days). As they say: come early and stay late.

We’ve got a great schedule lined up: informational briefings in the morning – including a WINGS segment on high density altitude operations and oxygen physiology), organized fly-outs to local airport restaurants for lunch, fabulous soaring in the afternoon, great dinners, and a marvelous after-banquet talk by Peter Lert on his Himalaya flying expedition. Oh, and there’s the potential to have your plane photographed against the incomparable Sedona Red Rock landscape by noted aviation photographer (and Lambada owner) Ted Grussing.

The logistical details can be found in the Forum section of the website and does not need repeating here. Go to: Home > Touring Motor Glider Announcements tab (left side, vertical group, second light blue tab) > third bullet point – Fly-In planning, and hit “link”. This brings you to the Forum section > go to the last page and look for the recent Threads containing all the information. See picture at bottom.

Here’s what is important: you need to officially register, and pay, which can be accessed via the Members tab > TMGA Store > Events > registration; Friday night dinner/show; and Saturday night banquet/awards/Lert presentation. All this can be accomplished on these pages either through PayPal or with your credit card. There are “hard-deck” cut-offs for the two dinners: we must prepay for all dinners by June 1st and this count will include only those who have paid us. We will not be able to reduce the count (we’re charged for those dinners) but we do have the opportunity to add to our dinner totals after the cut-off, depending on availability of the respective dinner facilities. Note, the Mexican restaurant at the Quality Inn is no longer operating (yes, this came as a surprise to hotel, and us), but we have made arrangements with Rosalie’s of Sedona to cater the banquet. Rosalie’s is a well-known area restaurant and catering operation. The menu now will be a choice of Tuscan Chicken or Brisket of Beef, plus all the side dishes. The dinner will still be buffet-style, served by Rosalie’s staff. The price will be the same as before, and please note that this price includes taxes and tips, so it is quite reasonable for a full-scale dinner. Please sign up via the registration process as soon as possible.

Hotel. We’re staying at the Quality Inn of Cottonwood. The room includes a great breakfast and we have good rates. It’s also where we will be having our daily briefings and the banquet. We already occupy 36 of their 52 rooms. They tell me that they only have 7 rooms left to rent for our time period. Book Now! There will be options at other area hotels, but we picked this property as our first choice.

Souvenir coffee mugs. These are specific to Cottonwood/Sedona and we will be ordering only enough for those who prepay (Members > TMGA Store > Merchandise > 2014 coffee mug). Note, a mug is included free with each $25 pilot registration fee. All additional mugs are $10. The cut-off is June 5th for us to be able to drop-ship them to the Event.

Cars. See the information in the Forum postings.

Outside activities. A few people have notified me (Richard Pearl) that they want to join together in some land-based events. See the Forum for details. You need to contact me at: Richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org.

Tie-Downs. Critical to bring your own, plus chocks.

Finally, do not be bashful in extending even a late invitation to TMG pilots who might want to come. They need to sign up for the TMGA, and get registered.

Update_3.pdf

post-1-144848146359_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146369_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146374_thumb.jpg

post-1-144848146384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webmaster
stuff

Well, we’re down to a mere three weeks until the start of our biggest and best TMGA Fly-In. The response from our flying buddies has been outstanding, and we’re anticipating a fabulous event in a new and exceptionally beautiful flying location. If you’re “on the fence” about whether to come, there’s still time to register and join the party.

We’re expecting 35-40 aircraft and an additional number of very serious pilots looking to buy a TMG. Add in co-pilots and we’ve got quite the gathering going. The map at the bottom shows most of our attendees. The actual map can be found via the Members > Maps > 2014 Fly-In button.

Many pilots are arriving on Wednesday and several are leaving on Monday (Thursday – Sunday being the official days). As they say: come early and stay late.

We’ve got a great schedule lined up: informational briefings in the morning – including a WINGS segment on high density altitude operations and oxygen physiology), organized fly-outs to local airport restaurants for lunch, fabulous soaring in the afternoon, great dinners, and a marvelous after-banquet talk by Peter Lert on his Himalaya flying expedition. Oh, and there’s the potential to have your plane photographed against the incomparable Sedona Red Rock landscape by noted aviation photographer (and Lambada owner) Ted Grussing.

The logistical details can be found in the Forum section of the website and does not need repeating here. Go to: Home > Touring Motor Glider Announcements tab (left side, vertical group, second light blue tab) > third bullet point – Fly-In planning, and hit “link”. This brings you to the Forum section > go to the last page and look for the recent Threads containing all the information. See picture at bottom.

Here’s what is important: you need to officially register, and pay, which can be accessed via the Members tab > TMGA Store > Events > registration; Friday night dinner/show; and Saturday night banquet/awards/Lert presentation. All this can be accomplished on these pages either through PayPal or with your credit card. There are “hard-deck” cut-offs for the two dinners: we must prepay for all dinners by June 1st and this count will include only those who have paid us. We will not be able to reduce the count (we’re charged for those dinners) but we do have the opportunity to add to our dinner totals after the cut-off, depending on availability of the respective dinner facilities. Note, the Mexican restaurant at the Quality Inn is no longer operating (yes, this came as a surprise to hotel, and us), but we have made arrangements with Rosalie’s of Sedona to cater the banquet. Rosalie’s is a well-known area restaurant and catering operation. The menu now will be a choice of Tuscan Chicken or Brisket of Beef, plus all the side dishes. The dinner will still be buffet-style, served by Rosalie’s staff. The price will be the same as before, and please note that this price includes taxes and tips, so it is quite reasonable for a full-scale dinner. Please sign up via the registration process as soon as possible.

Hotel. We’re staying at the Quality Inn of Cottonwood. The room includes a great breakfast and we have good rates. It’s also where we will be having our daily briefings and the banquet. We already occupy 36 of their 52 rooms. They tell me that they only have 7 rooms left to rent for our time period. Book Now! There will be options at other area hotels, but we picked this property as our first choice.

Souvenir coffee mugs. These are specific to Cottonwood/Sedona and we will be ordering only enough for those who prepay (Members > TMGA Store > Merchandise > 2014 coffee mug). Note, a mug is included free with each $25 pilot registration fee. All additional mugs are $10. The cut-off is June 5th for us to be able to drop-ship them to the Event.

Cars. See the information in the Forum postings.

Outside activities. A few people have notified me (Richard Pearl) that they want to join together in some land-based events. See the Forum for details. You need to contact me at: Richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org.

Tie-Downs. Critical to bring your own, plus chocks.

Finally, do not be bashful in extending even a late invitation to TMG pilots who might want to come. They need to sign up for the TMGA, and get registered.

Edited by Webmaster
stuff

• 2 weeks later...

2014 TMGA National Fly-In

Cottonwood/Sedona

Update # 4, June 4, 2014

Eight days and counting. We’re on final glide to Cottonwood and the field is in sight!

There’s still time to sign up but time is now of the essence, so go to the website Members > TMGA Store > Events and register if you haven’t already done so. All the previous event details are located in the Forum > 2014 Fly-In – last posting area.

Arrivals. We’re expecting several local pilots to be on the field to assist arriving aircraft with parking and maneuvering. Please follow their directions. The Chamber of Commerce is making up a Welcoming packet that you’ll get after tie-down – and don’t forget to bring rope and chocks with you. Attached is the Event schedule and Registration form. It will be helpful if you fill out the registration form before arrival and just give it to the Welcoming crew.

Outside activities. Five people have signed up for the non-flying activities, which now includes the Verde Canyon Railroad trip on Friday, and the Pink Jeep off-road Rim tour on Saturday. If you or your partner want in on these trips, you need to immediately contact me at: Richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org.

Fly-out Lunches. For Friday and Saturday we’re planning on flying out to locations for lunch. Current thoughts are: Winslow and Seligman, AZ

Oxygen: We’ll have O2 available at the airport, made possible through some of our local pilots (competitive rates), but please pre-fill your tanks before arrival to minimize the effort.

Souvenir Coffee Mugs. These are specific to Cottonwood/Sedona and we will be ordering only enough for those who prepay (Members > TMGA Store > Merchandise > 2014 coffee mug). Note, a mug is included free with each $25 pilot registration fee. All additional mugs are $10. The cut-off is June 5th for us to be able to drop-ship them to the Event

Available Seats. We have several TMG enthusiasts coming to the fly-in specifically to look over the fleet (demo rides, general conversation). If you have an available seat for a daily flight, please consider having it filled with one these future TMG’ers. I’ll coordinate this so reach out to me via the above email address, and/or at the fly-in.

2014 TMGA National Fly-In

Cottonwood/Sedona

Update # 4, June 4, 2014

Eight days and counting. We’re on final glide to Cottonwood and the field is in sight!

There’s still time to sign up but time is now of the essence, so go to the website Members > TMGA Store > Events and register if you haven’t already done so. All the previous event details are located in the Forum > 2014 Fly-In – last posting area.

Arrivals. We’re expecting several local pilots to be on the field to assist arriving aircraft with parking and maneuvering. Please follow their directions. The Chamber of Commerce is making up a Welcoming packet that you’ll get after tie-down – and don’t forget to bring rope and chocks with you. Attached is the Event schedule and Registration form. It will be helpful if you fill out the registration form before arrival and just give it to the Welcoming crew.

Outside activities. Five people have signed up for the non-flying activities, which now includes the Verde Canyon Railroad trip on Friday, and the Pink Jeep off-road Rim tour on Saturday. If you or your partner want in on these trips, you need to immediately contact me at: Richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org.

Fly-out Lunches. For Friday and Saturday we’re planning on flying out to locations for lunch. Current thoughts are: Winslow and Seligman, AZ

Oxygen: We’ll have O2 available at the airport, made possible through some of our local pilots (competitive rates), but please pre-fill your tanks before arrival to minimize the effort.

Souvenir Coffee Mugs. These are specific to Cottonwood/Sedona and we will be ordering only enough for those who prepay (Members > TMGA Store > Merchandise > 2014 coffee mug). Note, a mug is included free with each $25 pilot registration fee. All additional mugs are $10. The cut-off is June 5th for us to be able to drop-ship them to the Event

Available Seats. We have several TMG enthusiasts coming to the fly-in specifically to look over the fleet (demo rides, general conversation). If you have an available seat for a daily flight, please consider having it filled with one these future TMG’ers. I’ll coordinate this so reach out to me via the above email address, and/or at the fly-in.

2014 TMGA FLY-IN

EVENT SCHEDULE

Wednesday - Unofficial arrival day. Pilots met by local welcoming crew. Receive: Welcome kit from Chamber of Commerce, registration form (emergency contact, etc.), water/soft drinks available; dinner on own but suggestions will be offered.

Thursday - Official start day. Pilots met by local welcoming crew (same as above); dinner on own but suggestions will be offered.

Friday -

* Official welcome by Team Cottonwood and the Mayor of Cottonwood (8:30 - 9:00);

* Formal area briefing - airport & soaring environment (9:00 – 9:15);

* Weather (9:15-9:30)

* Housekeeping - Friday night dinner; etc. (9:30-9:45)

* Break (9:45-10:00)

* Wings presentation – O2 and D.A. (10:00– 11:00)

* Discussion of the fly-out (11:00-11:10) (prior hand-out)

* Depart for airport (11:15)

* Launch aircraft for lunch flight (11:45 +/-)

* Dinner - Blazin'M – 5:30 PM (5 minutes from Quality Inn via car)

Saturday -

* Housekeeping (9:00 - 9:15)

* Friday flight stories (9:00 - 9:30)

* Weather (9:30 - 9:45)

* Discussion of the fly-out (9:45 - 9:50) - prior hand-out

* Break (9:50 - 10:00)

* Website issues, other (10:00 - 11:00)

* Depart for airport (11:00)

* Dinner/banquet/awards/P. Lert presentation - Quality Inn conference center (6:00 PM)

Sunday -

* Saturday flight stories (9:15 - 9:45)

* Weather (9:45 - 10:00)

* Group picture (10:15-10:45)

* Departure

2014 TMGA FLY-IN

EVENT SCHEDULE

Wednesday - Unofficial arrival day. Pilots met by local welcoming crew. Receive: Welcome kit from Chamber of Commerce, registration form (emergency contact, etc.), water/soft drinks available; dinner on own but suggestions will be offered.

Thursday - Official start day. Pilots met by local welcoming crew (same as above); dinner on own but suggestions will be offered.

Friday -

* Official welcome by Team Cottonwood and the Mayor of Cottonwood (8:30 - 9:00);

* Formal area briefing - airport & soaring environment (9:00 – 9:15);

* Weather (9:15-9:30)

* Housekeeping - Friday night dinner; etc. (9:30-9:45)

* Break (9:45-10:00)

* Wings presentation – O2 and D.A. (10:00– 11:00)

* Discussion of the fly-out (11:00-11:10) (prior hand-out)

* Depart for airport (11:15)

* Dinner - Blazin'M – 5:30 PM (5 minutes from Quality Inn via car)

Saturday -

* Friday flight stories (9:00 - 9:30)

* Weather (9:30 - 9:45)

* Discussion of the fly-out (9:45 - 9:50) - prior hand-out

* Break (9:50 - 10:00)

* Website issues, other (10:00 - 11:00)

* Depart for airport (11:00)

* Dinner/banquet/awards/P. Lert presentation - Quality Inn conference center (6:00 PM)

Sunday -

* Saturday flight stories (9:15 - 9:45)

* Weather (9:45 - 10:00)

* Group picture (10:15-10:45)

* Departure

Our chairman sends along the following update:

TMGA'ers:

Cottonwood Airport is insight and we're on the 45 entry for downwind.

Some last minute reminders:

1. Bring tie down ropes and chocks

2. Please call or email me with any flight arrival, or any other, changes (916.715.9666; richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org)

3. Everyone has been terrific in prepaying the registration and the desired dinners. I'll have a "Square" available to handle any credit card situations (amazing technology).

4. I've called in the dinner counts for both Friday and Saturday, and committed us financially to those numbers. If for some reason you didn't sign up for a dinner and now want to go, let me know ASAP.

5. For the non-flying activities

(a) Friday is the Verde train ride. Train leaves at 1 PM (noon check-in) and will be back in time for dinner at the Blazin'M. We've set up for the 1st class ticket and so far 7 have signed up. There should be room for additions if you act quickly. We have a master reservation number. Call me you want to go

(B) Saturday is the Pink Jeep tour, from Sedona; we're leaving from Cottonwood at 8:15 for a 10 AM departure. We have one Jeep filled to capacity (6). If you want to go, you need to call Pink Jeep and make your own reservation (ask for the TMGA master reservation number).

© Bob and Karen Ellenberg report: Karen Ellenberg is planning to go to Out Of Africa wildlife park on Friday. Cost for adults is $32.75

General Admission includes the following Tours and Shows:

The African Bush Safari Tour ~ All Day: Monday through Sunday (last tour leaves at 4:00 pm)

The Wildlife Preserve Tram Shuttle ~ All Day: Monday through Sunday

Creature Feature ~ Showtime: 11:00 am – Monday through Sunday

The Tiger Splash Show ~ Showtime: 1:15 pm – Monday through Sunday

The Giant Snake Show ~ Showtime: 2:15 pm – Monday through Sunday

The Predator Feed ~ Showtime: 3:00 pm - Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

The Wonders of the Wildlife Show ~ Showtime: 3:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

It is open from 9:30AM till 5:00PM and she plans to be there most of the day. It is only 15 minutes from the airport and she can take 3 additional people with her in her car. More details at http://outofafricapark.com/ and you can call Karen direct at 505-412-1883.

6. Pre-fill your O2 tank

7. Available Seats. We have several TMG enthusiasts coming to the fly-in specifically to look over the fleet (demo rides, general conversation). If you have an available seat for a daily flight, please consider having it filled with one these future TMG’ers. I’ll coordinate this so reach out to me via the above email address, and/or at the fly-in.

8. Early Arrival dinner options. The Hog Wild (BBQ), Conchos (Mexican), and the Schoolhouse have been recommended in Cottonwood, but when I went on-line I found that Cottonwood is really expanding it's cuisine offerings so there's a lot to choose from. And then there's the town of Jerome just up the road to the west. And then there's Sedona not that far from to the East. Too many great choices, so we'll probably just see what everyone has on their mind when we arrive. There should be available cars for transportation.

Richard

Our chairman sends along the following update:

TMGA'ers:

Cottonwood Airport is insight and we're on the 45 entry for downwind.

Some last minute reminders:

1. Bring tie down ropes and chocks

2. Please call or email me with any flight arrival, or any other, changes (916.715.9666; richard.pearl@touringmotorgliders.org)

3. Everyone has been terrific in prepaying the registration and the desired dinners. I'll have a "Square" available to handle any credit card situations (amazing technology).

4. I've called in the dinner counts for both Friday and Saturday, and committed us financially to those numbers. If for some reason you didn't sign up for a dinner and now want to go, let me know ASAP.

5. For the non-flying activities

(a) Friday is the Verde train ride. Train leaves at 1 PM (noon check-in) and will be back in time for dinner at the Blazin'M. We've set up for the 1st class ticket and so far 7 have signed up. There should be room for additions if you act quickly. We have a master reservation number. Call me you want to go

(B) Saturday is the Pink Jeep tour, from Sedona; we're leaving from Cottonwood at 8:15 for a 10 AM departure. We have one Jeep filled to capacity (6). If you want to go, you need to call Pink Jeep and make your own reservation (ask for the TMGA master reservation number).

© Bob and Karen Ellenberg report: Karen Ellenberg is planning to go to Out Of Africa wildlife park on Friday. Cost for adults is $32.75

General Admission includes the following Tours and Shows:

The African Bush Safari Tour ~ All Day: Monday through Sunday (last tour leaves at 4:00 pm)

The Wildlife Preserve Tram Shuttle ~ All Day: Monday through Sunday

Creature Feature ~ Showtime: 11:00 am – Monday through Sunday

The Tiger Splash Show ~ Showtime: 1:15 pm – Monday through Sunday

The Giant Snake Show ~ Showtime: 2:15 pm – Monday through Sunday

The Predator Feed ~ Showtime: 3:00 pm - Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

The Wonders of the Wildlife Show ~ Showtime: 3:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

It is open from 9:30AM till 5:00PM and she plans to be there most of the day. It is only 15 minutes from the airport and she can take 3 additional people with her in her car. More details at http://outofafricapark.com/ and you can call Karen direct at 505-412-1883.

6. Pre-fill your O2 tank

7. Available Seats. We have several TMG enthusiasts coming to the fly-in specifically to look over the fleet (demo rides, general conversation). If you have an available seat for a daily flight, please consider having it filled with one these future TMG’ers. I’ll coordinate this so reach out to me via the above email address, and/or at the fly-in.

8. Early Arrival dinner options. The Hog Wild (BBQ), Conchos (Mexican), and the Schoolhouse have been recommended in Cottonwood, but when I went on-line I found that Cottonwood is really expanding it's cuisine offerings so there's a lot to choose from. And then there's the town of Jerome just up the road to the west. And then there's Sedona not that far from to the East. Too many great choices, so we'll probably just see what everyone has on their mind when we arrive. There should be available cars for transportation.

Richard

Fly-In Attendees:

The Cottonwood airport airport reminds all TMGA incoming pilots that there are several active aviation operations in progress 7 days a week at P-52, including helicopter and airplane tours of Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and skydiving operations. Expect these operations from Sunrise to Sunset, and 14,000 ft and below. The operations typically land next to the segmented circle.

Please do NOT over fly Cottonwood Airport; use caution on your approach.

Note: the AWOS is currently not working, and when it does is unreliable.

Richard

P.S. the 7-day forecast for the Sedona area is hot and dry. Remember sunscreen and bring/drink PLENTY of water.

Fly-In Attendees:

The Cottonwood airport airport reminds all TMGA incoming pilots that there are several active aviation operations in progress 7 days a week at P-52, including helicopter and airplane tours of Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and skydiving operations. Expect these operations from Sunrise to Sunset, and 14,000 ft and below. The operations typically land next to the segmented circle.

Please do NOT over fly Cottonwood Airport; use caution on your approach.

Note: the AWOS is currently not working, and when it does is unreliable.

Richard

P.S. the 7-day forecast for the Sedona area is hot and dry. Remember sunscreen and bring/drink PLENTY of water.

Here are some articles about VFR flying over the Grand Canyon:

Here are some high-resolution charts that can be downloaded to support VFR flying over the Grand Canyon:

• Grand Canyon -- JPG format: 24MB | 10MB | 3MB
  • Grand Canyon -- PNG format: 30MB
  • Grand Canyon -- PDF format: 40MB

I had some requests on how to make these graphic files visible on iPads. Here are a some ways of making the maps visible and zoomable on an iPad for inflight use.

1. Navigate to this page on your iPad (after logging into the site) using Safari, link to the map, keep the page active as a tab during the flight. It will take a few minutes to download the page. Safari will let you zoom in on the image and move around in it.
  2. Link to the image, save it to your desktop on a laptop or desktop, and then import it to Foreflight. Two ways to do this. E-mail it to yourself as an attachment and Foreflight will see it and give you the option to download it. Else you can use iTunes to save it with Foreflight. See Foreflight instructions for either of these options.
  3. Link to the image in Safari as above. Hold your finger on it and save it (to your Photo library). Use a tool like Good Reader to import it. Good Reader is a nice tool that lets you zoom and move around the image.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Edited by Webmaster

Here are some articles about VFR flying over the Grand Canyon:

Here are some high-resolution charts that can be downloaded to support VFR flying over the Grand Canyon:

• Grand Canyon -- JPG format: 24MB | 10MB | 3MB
  • Grand Canyon -- PNG format: 30MB
  • Grand Canyon -- PDF format: 40MB

I had some requests on how to make these graphic files visible on iPads. Here are a some ways of making the maps visible and zoomable on an iPad for inflight use.

1. Navigate to this page on your iPad (after logging into the site) using Safari, link to the map, keep the page active as a tab during the flight. It will take a few minutes to download the page. Safari will let you zoom in on the image and move around in it.
  2. Link to the image, save it to your desktop on a laptop or desktop, and then import it to Foreflight. Two ways to do this. E-mail it to yourself as an attachment and Foreflight will see it and give you the option to download it. Else you can use iTunes to save it with Foreflight. See Foreflight instructions for either of these options.
  3. Link to the image in Safari as above. Hold your finger on it and save it (to your Photo library). Use a tool like Good Reader to import it. Good Reader is a nice tool that lets you zoom and move around the image.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Edited by Webmaster

• 2 months later...

Good news! ForeFlight has finally included the Grand Canyon VFR chart into their mapping system.

[h=4]Take ForeFlight To The Grand Canyon[/h]The Grand Canyon VFR Aeronautical Chart is now integrated into the U.S. VFR Sectional overlay in the Maps view. Similar to the seamless transition from Sectionals to Terminal Aeronautical Charts using the pinch-zoom gesture, zoom in to the Grand Canyon area to toggle the chart view from the Las Vegas Sectional to the Grand Canyon Chart.

post-1-144848146442_thumb.png

Good news! ForeFlight has finally included the Grand Canyon VFR chart into their mapping system.

[h=4]Take ForeFlight To The Grand Canyon[/h]The Grand Canyon VFR Aeronautical Chart is now integrated into the U.S. VFR Sectional overlay in the Maps view. Similar to the seamless transition from Sectionals to Terminal Aeronautical Charts using the pinch-zoom gesture, zoom in to the Grand Canyon area to toggle the chart view from the Las Vegas Sectional to the Grand Canyon Chart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160[/ATTACH]