Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Ximango Tire Problem

televe

Anyone had problems with Goodyear retreads on the Ximango?

I have just had one fitted and found that the bolts holding the landing wheel fork to the strut grind into the tire, sufficient to cause binding. The 'new' tire has a larger diameter than the one it replaced.

The new tire is the correct size, inflated to the correct pressure.

Have I just received an 'out-of-spec' retread, in which case I could Expect Desser to replace it, or should I only use new tires, not retreads?

Terence Lowe,

N-6284Q

I have just had one fitted and found that the bolts holding the landing wheel fork to the strut grind into the tire, sufficient to cause binding. The 'new' tire has a larger diameter than the one it replaced.

Have I just received an 'out-of-spec' retread, in which case I could Expect Desser to replace it, or should I only use new tires, not retreads?

Terence Lowe,

N-6284Q

I think I'd give Desser a call first. Sounds like it's out of spec to me. I seem to recall we had an issue like this with an ASW-27 that passed through the shop where a new tire wouldn't fit with the gear retracted, although I don't recall what we did about it. I would think it should be the same diameter as a factory new tire. If you get no joy with Desser (which would surprise me) one thing you might be able to do is find a tire shop with a tire lathe that can "true" it for you. Not all tire shops have the machine, though. Usually you'll find 4x4 shops will have a tire lathe because the big mudders will get out of round and need to be trued. If they can chuck it up they should be able to take 1/8" or so off for you so it'll clear.

I think I'd give Desser a call first. Sounds like it's out of spec to me. I seem to recall we had an issue like this with an ASW-27 that passed through the shop where a new tire wouldn't fit with the gear retracted, although I don't recall what we did about it. I would think it should be the same diameter as a factory new tire. If you get no joy with Desser (which would surprise me) one thing you might be able to do is find a tire shop with a tire lathe that can "true" it for you. Not all tire shops have the machine, though. Usually you'll find 4x4 shops will have a tire lathe because the big mudders will get out of round and need to be trued. If they can chuck it up they should be able to take 1/8" or so off for you so it'll clear.

• 1 month later...

Terence Lowe,

N-6284Q

I bought a new tire from Desser's. The retread was 1/2" bigger in diameter than the new tire.

Desser gave me a refund for the retread - good service.

I'll stick with new tires from now on.

Terence Lowe.

Terence Lowe,

N-6284Q

I bought a new tire from Desser's. The retread was 1/2" bigger in diameter than the new tire.

Desser gave me a refund for the retread - good service.

I'll stick with new tires from now on.

Terence Lowe.