Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Engine selection info needed

Duktapeguy

I am at a point in making a decision re: engine replacement of an L2400 EB with a Rotax 912si or a L2400 DFI/ EFI water cooled engine. Is there anyone in the group that flies an L2400 DFI EFI ? I fly a Taifun 17E and the L 2400 DFI/EFI will fit nicely the Rotax will require a delay to do all the CG calculations and mock up activity. Since both engines boast WATTER COOLED, CDI AND FUEL INJECTION AND THE PRICES ARE SIMILAR the decision is a research required event. I live in Florida and heat is a significant issue. I realize with the Limbach cylinder cooling still is a issue and air flow targeting for oil cooling and cylinder fin cooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------

I am at a point in making a decision re: engine replacement of an L2400 EB with a Rotax 912si or a L2400 DFI/ EFI water cooled engine. Is there anyone in the group that flies an L2400 DFI EFI ? I fly a Taifun 17E and the L 2400 DFI/EFI will fit nicely the Rotax will require a delay to do all the CG calculations and mock up activity. Since both engines boast WATTER COOLED, CDI AND FUEL INJECTION AND THE PRICES ARE SIMILAR the decision is a research required event. I live in Florida and heat is a significant issue. I realize with the Limbach cylinder cooling still is a issue and air flow targeting for oil cooling and cylinder fin cooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------

I heard that that the 912si is awesome but is going through growing pains expected of a new engine. Note that Rotax has a website and forums so you can probably get some insight into these issues to see if they are a deal breaker.

I heard that that the 912si is awesome but is going through growing pains expected of a new engine. Note that Rotax has a website and forums so you can probably get some insight into these issues to see if they are a deal breaker.

• 3 weeks later...
I heard that that the 912si is awesome but is going through growing pains expected of a new engine. Note that Rotax has a website and forums so you can probably get some insight into these issues to see if they are a deal breaker.[/quote

One problem when used in a motor glider is the sprag clutch 140 hrs is all the scout club get with there 912S Short runs for climb.

I heard that that the 912si is awesome but is going through growing pains expected of a new engine. Note that Rotax has a website and forums so you can probably get some insight into these issues to see if they are a deal breaker.[/quote

One problem when used in a motor glider is the sprag clutch 140 hrs is all the scout club get with there 912S Short runs for climb.

What is happening to the Sprague clutch that you think is being caused by short runs? What revision ignition boxes is it using? If the ignition boxes are the older style that doesn't prevent kickback at start up that is more than likely the culprit.

What is happening to the Sprague clutch that you think is being caused by short runs? What revision ignition boxes is it using? If the ignition boxes are the older style that doesn't prevent kickback at start up that is more than likely the culprit.