Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Ximango questions? I just got back to So. Calif. from Florida with my super Ximango.

Wes

I had 2 problems (?) first I noticed that the aerolons were up about 1/2" on each side when in flight. They are flush when on the ground. Should I rig them down? Next if I exceeded 110 kn indicated the aerolons caused a uncommanded turn which I had to correct with the stick and continued in both directions until I slowed to less than 110 knots.

A slight turn will be induced when flying solo in a Ximango because you have more weight on one side of the cockpit than the other. This phenomenon is very noticeable in my Europa when I fly it solo. It's similar in the Ximango, although not as pronounced. Another thing to note is Aeromot recommends that you never fly the Ximango with more than 1/4th of a tank difference between the right and left fuel tanks. You can offset this weight induced turn in large part by flying with more fuel on the side opposite the P1 seat. Does your Ximango have flat bottomed ailerons, or Frise ailerons? Does yours have winglets? If so, are the tight in the socket or so they have some play? You might want to check the spar pin/spar bushing fit if you're seeing a half inch difference in the rigging with flight loading, particularly if you have a high time Ximango or one with significant damage history like gear up landings. Something in the geometry of the wings must be changing when flight loads are applied to get that much change in the ailerons.