Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Maintenance & Repair Services - Introductions & Announcements

Steve Sliwa

Anyone knowing of maintenance or repairs services or capabilities applicable to owners of Touring Motor Gliders and are registered users of this website may post their introductions and announcements here.

• 1 year later...

Dick

Their operation is in the Sacramento area - actually just about 20 miles north of where I keep my Grob 109. Ray Poquette. He did a great job for me six years ago. I heard he was backing off doing canopies on a regular basis but if you do link up you should get a great product. You might talk to him - or anyone else working up a new canopy - about the option of not installing the forward swing-out vents. They seem to develop cracks radiating from the screws. There's an incredible amount of pressure building up on the vertical canopy and I think there's a lot of torquing going on. My original canopy cracked there, and so did the one that Ray created. Other owners might weight in on this. Perhaps larger side windows might be a better option. Another solution to relieve the pressures is to install a piston from the sidewall to the canopy which allows for a 70 degree from horizontal rise opening. It eliminates the potential of the canopy blowing forward from an aft wind, and vice versa, plus eliminates a lot of the internal pressures. Call me at 916.715.9666.

What's up with your bird??????????

Dick

Their operation is in the Sacramento area - actually just about 20 miles north of where I keep my Grob 109. Ray Poquette. He did a great job for me six years ago. I heard he was backing off doing canopies on a regular basis but if you do link up you should get a great product. You might talk to him - or anyone else working up a new canopy - about the option of not installing the forward swing-out vents. They seem to develop cracks radiating from the screws. There's an incredible amount of pressure building up on the vertical canopy and I think there's a lot of torquing going on. My original canopy cracked there, and so did the one that Ray created. Other owners might weight in on this. Perhaps larger side windows might be a better option. Another solution to relieve the pressures is to install a piston from the sidewall to the canopy which allows for a 70 degree from horizontal rise opening. It eliminates the potential of the canopy blowing forward from an aft wind, and vice versa, plus eliminates a lot of the internal pressures. Call me at 916.715.9666.

What's up with your bird??????????

Actually, I think the cracks in the front are largely from the force that is applied on the mounts when the wind tries to blow the canopy forward. You might consider adding a rope/cable to take the strain, and then you probably will not see the stress cracks.

Actually, I think the cracks in the front are largely from the force that is applied on the mounts when the wind tries to blow the canopy forward. You might consider adding a rope/cable to take the strain, and then you probably will not see the stress cracks.