Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Hoffmann Propeller

biplanebob

All

As I read the Hofmann bulletin 61-10-03 E 1 AK, I interpret it to read that overhauls are mandatory after 6 years but may be extended to the next annual, no more than 84 months or seven years.

What is the opinion of this group??

bob

That's the technical limits as I, too, understand it. I exceeded the time limitation and probably pushed the envelop too far, as when it went into the shop (American Propeller - Redding, CA), as a precaution and not because I sensed anything wrong with it, they said it needed too much work and sent it back to Germany. Hoffman refused to do the reconditioning/new parts and I ended up getting a new propeller. I had 1,050 hours on the original prop. I operated only from paved runways and the prop was covered when not in use.

The only recognized Hoffman repair stations in the USA are American Propeller, and anogther shop in the Orlando, Fla. area.

Thanks

As I am looking to purchase a 109, one that is currently for sale had the prop overhauled in 05.

From what you are saying I could be looking at propeller replacement cost after purchase rather than just an overhaul.

That kind of extra cost defiantly puts a twist in negotiating strategy

bob

Edited by biplanebob

• 1 month later...

These guys do Hoffman refurbs: http://www.avprops.com/

I bought a new Hoffman a year or so ago from another Ximango owner. It had never been run, but was timed out calendar wise and needed to be serviced before I could install it. Aviation Propellers turned it around in about 3 days.

There is a mod that needs to be done on certain older Hoffman's. It's called the "P" mod and involves replacing the drive pins on the blades. My understanding is that Hoffman has been bought/absorbed by MT Propellers and has been shuttered. MT won't service Hoffman's at the MT factory. I've also heard, but not verified, that the shop in Miami/Opa-Locka, Florida can do the P Mod. It ain't cheap, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...