Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Dynon WiFi Adapter for iPad

Jim Lee

Dynon is now accepting orders for their new WiFi adapter which communicates with the iPad. Both GPS and air data from the ADHRS are sent to the iPad, making the iPad a backup display. My favorite function is the ability to load routes directly from the iPad to the Skyview. So now all flight planning can be done from the iPad at home and delivered to the Skyview at the hangar.

I have found the iPad to be completely usable in all lighting conditions. We typically use the iPad as a kneeboard when a lot of button pushing or searching is being done and then snap it into the ProClip mount when finished.

I've been using an iPad2 and Foreflight for about 3 years with a Dual GPS 150. I started with a panel mount, but quickly learned that you have to manage glare by being able to tilt the mount. The screen is bright enough but reflections can be a problem. I now have a RAM mount that allows me to position it in an optimal mounted orientation. Some people have tried laminated glare shields that do the trick as well. Most of the time, however, I seem to use it as a kneeboard and just keep it on the seat next to me. If I have to push buttons I'd prefer it to be on my lap. Overall, very satisfied.

• Registered
Dynon is now accepting orders for their new WiFi adapter which communicates with the iPad. Both GPS and air data from the ADHRS are sent to the iPad, making the iPad a backup display. My favorite function is the ability to load routes directly from the iPad to the Skyview. So now all flight planning can be done from the iPad at home and delivered to the Skyview at the hangar.

It only works with ForeFlight Pro, not ForeFlight Basic. Pro is an extra $75/year subscription fee, currently a deal breaker for me. Perhaps they will add features that make it worthwhile to me, or allow it to work with ForeFlight Basic.

I have found the iPad to be completely usable in all lighting conditions. We typically use the iPad as a kneeboard when a lot of button pushing or searching is being done and then snap it into the ProClip mount when finished.

It's a very subjective issue, depending a lot on a person's vision. I've used my iPad mini in the cockpit, but it's marginal for me. It works better if I don't use my prescription sunglasses, but instead use "sunreaders" with a 2 diopter magnification in the bifocal part of the lens, but no tinting in that area. I have not tried the recommended anti-glare film.

I have found that iFly GPS on a Nexus 7 with an anti-glare screen cover is quite readable in the Phoenix. I would like to see Dynon working on more flexible input formats than more technology.

I've got an IFly 720 on a Ram in our new plane, it clearly is sunlight readable, but no flight time with it yet. Will probably bring an Ipad mini with us rather than schlepping a laptop for general internet and other use on trips. Is it correct that the aopa Jeppesen flight plans can be loaded into dynon via memory stick? Sky Vector flight plans exportable? Thanks for feedback.

Dave Glosser

• 5 months later...

The wi-fi adapter from Dynon works great! I've had mine for a couple months now and enjoy the added features. Being able to flight plan multiple flights in Fore Flight and then upload 1 to the Dynon saves time and is much easier. Be sure to watch the Dyon training video showing not only transferring flight plans to and from your Ipad to the Dynon but also the additional ADHARS computed data enabled with such a low cost product. By the way, the standard or non-pro version of Fore-Flight's recent version now supports this function.