Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Whistling Noise - G109

Richard Pearl

I've got a 1984 G019 that has developed a high pitched whistling noise, like tape is rattling (or the Banshees of Hell screaming at full throttle). I've replaced the Mylar on the rudder and elevator, and redone all other control areas, plus wing roots and leg fairings. It starts when I hit about 70 kts and continues all the way down to about 40 kts on the ground. Reducing or increasing airspeed doesn't affect the noise, not does opening or closing the air brakes. New engine and new prop. It seems like it's coming from the rear. I've flown with my IA and we're both mystified.

Anyone ever experience this?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Yep I had that in a Grob 103 on a test flight! Scared the begeezus out of me! Ended up being the tape had come loose in the area under the tailplane where the cutout is to fit over the tailplane mount. I hope all is good now.

Ray

I'm still in the test phase, but it looks like it may have been a situation connected to fuel lines/equipment. My fuel boost failed about the same time as the Banshee's started their wailing. I've replaced the boost and after 30 minutes of flying it's no longer there.

Years ago I have tape on the top of the horizontal stabilizer come off - actually only 1/2 came off with the rest trailing in the breeze. Somehow it caused the requirement for much more forward stick to maintain position. Obviously eased up when I slowed down. Landed, re-taped, and all was good.

Richard

• 9 months later...

Hi Richard, I have that same high pitch noise. I think it started when I applied mylar so testing/changing the configuration to isolate. Was yours definitely your electric fuel pump (assuming that is what you meant by "fuel boost"? Did your noise stop when you turned off your electric pump?

• 1 year later...

Way too late a reply to help with Richard's issue since his plane was lost due to high density (feel you buddy, trees have come close to nipping my wheels on multiple hot/humid days and glad you survived the tree penetration) but in any case I had the same screaming banshee noise issue and it was resolved by redoing the canopy seal.