Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Grob 109B overheating modification?

teebahnson

I'm a happy new owner of a Grob 109B. Love it, but one thing that I would be interested to modify (if possible) is the overheating issues. The oil temp goes quickly into the yellow after takeoff and climb on a hot North Carolina day. It's certainly manageable by increasing airspeed and slowing the rate of climb but if there's a proven modification that others have had success with I would be very interested to hear. I came across this 109A modification but it looks to be specific only to the A model and I have the B. http://byrongliding.com/technical/grob-g109/g109-modifications/

Does anyone out there have some advice?

Thanks very much,

Tee

Congratulations on your Grob, I can not give much advice on your overheating problems, but am curious about where you are based in North Carolina.

I have a G-109A in Greeneville Tennessee and there is another one in Knoxville

• 2 years later...

Please check that the SU carb cover was installed correctly. The burl on the edge of the top cover should line up with the burl on the bottom part, with the word "Made" on the cover appearing over the Allen screw on the lower half. Else there is insufficient Venturi effect and the engine runs too lean leading to overheating.