Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Real SUN READABLE GPS

fbernaby

I fly an SF25C with bubble canopy, a canopy letting in considerable sunshine, sunshine limiting the number of choices for a usable GPS.

I started using an Aera 500 and removed it because it was totally unreadable in the normal sunlight. From here I switched to attempting iPads and iPhones and these also were unusable.

Then I broke down and bought an Oudie IGC which was readable in the cockpit but the user interface was extremely unfriendly.

My favorite apps are iFly and ForeFlight.

I asked ForeFlight if that had a device that allowed use of ForeFlight in something other than iPad or iPhone and they affirmed those, along with similar Android products were the only device supported. So they were clearly not in the hardware business.

Then I contacted Adventure Pilot asking about their iFly 740 product. I purchase one of these two weeks ago and I've finally found my solution. This device works great!

This is hands down the best GPS product I've every used!

It's display is capable of 1300 NITS where the minimum standard to claim sun readable is 500 NITS.

The device supports access via a WIFI connection so I update the software by hot spotting my cell phone to it.

The other exciting thing about the 740 is it's support of an interface to the NavWorks products such as the ADS600 Receiver which allows a seamless connection where the pilot has full control of the receiver for configuration and reception of FIS-B and TIS-B data.

Check it out at http://iflygps.com/SYSTEMS/iFly740.aspx

I use both and prefer iFly for the following reasons:

1) Map Mode = Vector: iFly has a Vector mode which displays all the essential map items

2) Compass Rose around aircraft: iFly generates a scale compass rose around your aircraft which is very convent. For example, if the radius is

set to 10 NM then better estimate you direction and distance from an airport before initiating a call to such as approaching Class D

3) Course Line Projection: iFly generates a course line extending for nose of aircraft. So you can easily steer to a visible point on the map without

setting up any flight plan.

All the features I used in ForeFlight are in iFly. In addition, iFly has features ForeFlight doesn't have that I use.

But the best part is I can see the display in sunlight.

I asked ForeFlight if they support a similar device and their reply is they only target apps on tablets and cellphone. So this is a nonstarter in my situation. I can't use either device in the Scheibe cockpit

Edited by fbernaby