Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Tail wheel....

Grsim2580

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

The 1-piece tail wheel makes it very difficult to change the tire and tube. This TSO'd 2-piece TOST wheel is a near-perfect fit (the spacer lengths need to be slightly modified to fit your fork.) https://wingsandwheels.com/aircraft-parts/wheels/3-inch-tost-tail-wheel.html The TOST tire is reported to be of much better quality than the AeroClassic, which tends to be not particularly round.

image.png.12f5fa54adccc51fd03892edb8a53e22.png

• 4 months later...

I'm a new owner having purchased N124XS SN 200.124 recently.  I'm having a lot of trouble with the tailwheel mechanism.  The breakout force at the back of the tire is over 36# and as a result it will not swivel at all.  It makes taxiing very difficult and maneuvering on the ramp impossible.  

I've looked at the exploded view and the disassembly process is not obvious to me.  The internals look loke a Scott design but getting there is different.

Thanks

Bob Holtaway

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, Bob Holtaway said:

I'm a new owner having purchased N124XS SN 200.124 recently.  I'm having a lot of trouble with the tailwheel mechanism.  The breakout force at the back of the tire is over 36# and as a result it will not swivel at all.  It makes taxiing very difficult and maneuvering on the ramp impossible.  

I've looked at the exploded view and the disassembly process is not obvious to me.  The internals look loke a Scott design but getting there is different.

Thanks

Bob Holtaway

I'd contact Keith Phillips or Chuck Cheeseman at XimangoUSA for advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I figured it out and successfully repaired it.  The trick is to use a 6mm ball hex socket, a universal, and several extensions to reach thru the inspection opening then the second set of hands undoes the nut which is tucked in the welded box at the bottom.   I found the internals so packed with grit that the cam could not push the spring off the stop since it was packed behind the space the spring should move into.  The bearing surfaces were pretty well chewed up, A good cleaning and lubrication solved it.

Bob

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Definitely grease the tail wheel swivel with Aeroshell #5 every annual. I do the ball ends on the control rods every annual, too. They have a pin style grease fitting.