Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Soaring Club Mentioned by AOPA

Steve Sliwa

This morning the AOPA Club Connector published their first article about a soaring club.  It is covering the Soaring Tigers, which was originally the Soaring Society of Princeton University, a club that I started many years ago when I was an undergrad.  I was an aero engineering student and, unbelievably, we had our own airport and aero campus back in those days (since turned into corporate research park).  We were able to convince the university to let us operate from the airport and we had quite an operation.  Back in the day, the only non-commercial operation that trained more students in the US, according to the SSA, was the US Air Force Academy.  The USAFA required all students to go through training.

Link to Article: link

Link to Newsletter: link

The article focuses on a couple of the famous people that came through the club.  One was Brian Binnie, future test pilot and astronaut for Scaled Composites.  Actually, he was my flight student.  Here is a picture of him in the article.

Spaceship.jpg.db71b03e6978dada9a2cf3506e

Unfortunately, the article doesn't mention my role as the webmaster for the TMGA, but nonetheless, I thought our members might might enjoy this report.   :)