Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Tall, Self Launch Endorsement

BL

Hello All.

I'm 6'7" with an absolute inseam of 39", and "large" sized upper body, just under 200 lbs.  Absolute inseam is not pant-leg inseam (which is shorter).

Now that the vitals are out of the way, I'd like to receive viable suggestions for a place that would provide instruction for a self launch endorsement, and which composite TMG might accommodate my size and weight.

I understand that a Stemme could be large enough.  Ownership of one is outside my budget.  However, if an endorsement is possible through a Stemme, that would be great.

I am a newly rated glider pilot, and have about 30 hours total, mostly in a Grob 103.

If nothing is available in the US, would it be possible to earn an endorsement in Canada or Europe, or elsewhere, and have that serve as my authorization to self-launch in the US?

Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill

You might want to talk to Russ Husted at Sky King Soaring.  He is a factory authorized check pilot for both Stemme and Diamond and can probably give you good insight into what strategy might be best.  BTW Sky King Soaring is one of our sponsors.

Steve

12 hours ago, Steve Sliwa said:

Hi Bill

You might want to talk to Russ Husted at Sky King Soaring.  He is a factory authorized check pilot for both Stemme and Diamond and can probably give you good insight into what strategy might be best.  BTW Sky King Soaring is one of our sponsors.

Steve

Russ Husted suggested I post the question here!  Hah hah.

I have been told by a German manufacturer that I would fit in their newest self-launch open class machines. ;)

I'm somewhat surprised that the options are as limited as they are.  Rating aside, I would rather have a TMG than a SEL.  However, I don't fit in a 172 either.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I was able to get a self launch endorsement in an L-13 Vivat from Coastal Flight Training in Fla.

The Vivat wasn't comfortable, but adequate for up to 90 minutes at a time.  It turns out I do not fit in any in-production self-launching sailplanes.