Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Online Weather Resources

Steve Sliwa

A pilot friend of mine just point me to WindTy.com.  Check out their website.  The visuals are nice and it has nice controls. I am embedding here with a few of the controls enabled.  Be sure to set the altitude you'd like to check before scrolling around. They have an android app at this point, but no iOS app (darn).  Looks like it could be pretty useful for TMG flight planning.  [btw if the image below isn't animated, reload the page].

Does anyone have any other websites they find useful?  Note that we are trying to collect lists of such items to help our members.  You can see them in the TMGwiki.  Contribute your online weather ideas here and we'll move them over.  Else you can add them directly to the lists in the TMGwiki (that's the point ... we all add content to the wiki).

:)

• 4 weeks later...

BTW I noticed that just navigating to the page didn't always fire the animation in the windyty picture above.  However, after navigating her if I reloaded the page it started to flow.  I still think it is really pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

The relatively new IN-FLIGHT weather resource is StratuX - DIY ADS-B In + AHRS for tablets.

I have built my own StratuX recently.  Learned about it just few weeks ago from EAA magazine article, ordered parts a put it together.  

I am not EE, but it was a breeze, it is working on first try.  It is amazing in the air.  

Just for ~$150, I get all the stuff what Stratus2 would provide + the satisfaction I managed to put it together myself.

People who put together the SW, instructions   and forum  are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...