Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Fall Fly-In in Northeast or Mid-Atlantic

Dave

My wife and I are planning an outing from PA to Bar Harbor in July. Too bad we can't fit the bikes in the plane...I see rentals in my future.  Any interest in a September/October Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic fly in?  Was lately in Edenton, NC....great airport and extremely charming little town.  Saratoga Springs, NY is great too. For those of us who can't make the trip to Minden, perhaps a summer-stretcher to coastal N. Carolina, or a fall foliage trip to the Adirondacks or Vermont would be fun Ideas?  I've flown wave at Sugarbush around the Columbus Day weekend a few times, and it was spectacular.  Saratoga Springs has a great airport which is the site of active soaring and has access to the many comforts and charms of both Saratoga Springs itself and the Lake Placid Adirondack region.  I don't have anything formal in mind, just a nice spouse-friendly  2-3 day visit for site seeing, companionship, dining, and soaring. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes,

Being well retired has been great for us. I just wrapped up my first year out of the office and am enjoying my time with my various interests and some consulting as well. We are located in Bucks county, PA.  I fly out of 39N (Princeton, NJ). I'm leaning towards an early fall trip to the Adirondack area. 

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I might be interested meeting up in the Adirondacks - Sarasota is about a six hour flight for me (Columbia, SC). There are several others TMGA members on the East Coast - I wonder if we should move this thread to Event Planning to have a wider audience?

David

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to respond so tardily. Weather permitting, my wife and I will fly into Saratoga 5B2 on Sep't. 12 for 2 nights and then fly to Lake Placid KLKP on 9/14 for 2 nights.  On the leg up to KLKP we plan to make an air tour of the high peaks and lakes district of Adirondack Park.  5B2 is a great un-towered airport with multiple runways. I haven't been to KLKP and will consider Adirondack Regional near Saranac if wind conditions favor it...multiple runways and a 35 minute drive to Lake Placid. We welcome addition of others to the trip but recommend booking hotels soon since the region gets quite busy in the Fall. There are many choices of accommodations, dining, hiking, shopping, and sight seeing in addition to great flying opportunities.  Saratoga is famous for horse racing, concerts, arts, and spa as well.

Dave

dglosser@comcast.net

I've been wanting to fly up to the Cumberland, MD, in my Ximango sometime this fall to visit an old flying buddy who recently lost both of his lower legs to a degenerative vascular condition. He's a former soaring pilot and I thought it might do him good to get cloudbase again. The central and northern end of the Shenandoah has some excellent soaring in the fall and the leaves are gorgeous.

I would imagine sometime between mid September to mid October. Whenever the leaves are near peak and the weather cooperates. We usually get a lot of blue high pressure days that time of year. I'm based at TN89, about 30 miles north of Chattanooga, TN.