Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Phoenix Cross Country Flights

Jim Lee

• 3 months later...

Suzanne and I just flew our Phoenix to the Bahamas for the 1st time. 2:56 from Naples to Marsh Harbor. Flying at 9,500 ft we were within final glide of an airport the entire way. 

Spent 4 days in Hope Town, which is awesome and surprisingly affordable. 

IMG_0009.PNG

• 9 months later...

When crossing unlandable terrain or water my motto is first to get high enough to glide to safety if engine quits. Here, we are at about 10,500 MSL as we head over the Chesapeake bay. We are migrating the Phoenix Motorglider from Princeton, NJ to my partner, Terry, in Georgia who gets it mid October to mid April. I keep a sharp eye on the weather and go when I get the first good weather window in October. This was extraordinary. Clear skies the whole way together with almost exactly true tail winds. Prevailing winds are usually west to east but were NE to SW for us. Never had it so good. We landed at Suffolk Exec. Airport southwest of Norfolk, VA to eat some lunch,stretch our legs, and inspect the plumbing facilities. We flew on for a total of about 4 hours for day 1 of the trip and landed at Statesville, NC overnight. A great airport for both small general aviation planes like our motorglider and some much bigger stuff as well. Statesville was a nice little town which seemed frozen in an earlier, but pleasant, age. The next day we headed south west along the beautiful Great Smokies thru S.Carolina to our final stop at W.Georgia Regional airport where we were greeted by Terry. Total trip airtime a bit above 6 hours. The plane burned about 26 gallons of gas to get us 825 miles, though I topped up the tanks at both stops. (I don't want to be that guy you hear about on the 11 o'clock news.) Not counting speed in take- off and landing phases of flight, this was done at about 135 mph ground speed. We were not pushing the speed to the max. The Rotax 100 hp ULS engine was running at cruise RPMs of about 4,500 to 4.700. Not good to run it at much lower RPM over extended time frame due to excess carbon build up on spark plugs. Great fun, and a great host in Georgia.

https://www.facebook.com/David.S.Glosser