Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2017 Mid-West Fly-In Event Planning

Steve Sliwa

The TMGA is sponsoring a midwestern fly-in for the first time.  Ken Mosley has agreed to be our host and has selected the Ann Arbor Municipal Airport (KARB) near him.  The dates are August 3 thru the 6th.

Ken has some great ideas for guest speakers and events.  Those in or near Michigan should sign-up and attend.  Check back to this thread for more details and discussions.  In the meantime, navigate to Events > MidWest FlyIn Sign-up to sign up.  Mark yourself as "Maybe" if you are just considering it.

Here are some pictures to whet you appetite (click to make larger):

Airport pictures:

150523_AnnArborAirport.JPG  000506.jpg

img_0895.jpg

Ann Arbor:

4650005-AnnArborAerial08.jpg  

1245494229_80c653138f.jpg

The area:

MFD-0003.png

img_20160716_125431160_hdr-1024x768.jpg

Good morning Steve

could you please add me to this event "maybe" ( mid west fly in)

my iPad or iPhone will not allow me to add my own name. 

Thank you

Happy Bew Year

Gino Cavicchioli 

IMG_0039.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this is something that I need to do as I'm taking delivery of a Stemme S12 by mid March or so.  Is it something that you fly in and stay?  KARB is only 30 minutes from my home at KUSE. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at the option of changing the date for the fly-in.  The preferred hotel has better rates on an earlier date.

June 22-25 -- Comfort Inn -- $115/night

Aug 3-6 -- Comfort Inn -- $145/night

Do people want to keep Aug 3-6, or are you interested in switching to June 22-25?  Please let us know what you think?  Thanks.

Hi All, 

I have a definite conflict on the weekend of June 23-25. The August dates are not without issue, though weather permitting, I see an overnight a possibility.

Thanks for your efforts,

Don

I am a maybe, but the June date will work for me.  I would be visiting my brother in southern Indiana who has a TMG. I can airline it most of the way and barrow my brother's  flying machine to attend the meeting. Maybe he will come up with me as well.  Time will tell.

The photo is of a 2016 SunDancer manufactured by Distar CZ as, Czech Republic.  This TMG is currently located at KHMB- Huntingburg, IN. 

N17VR After Factory Test Flight.png

I updated the Map on the home page and the dates on the sign-up sheet.  I also sent a notice to those signed up.  We can continue to get the word out.  Thanks to Abby and Ken for the feet on the ground for hosting us.

• 2 months later...

Here is an update on planning for the event:

Lodging:

The Comfort Inn
3501 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI, 48108
(734) 761-8838

• 10 rooms will be available for TMGA attendees until May 23, after that date, individuals may reserve additional rooms if available but cannot be guaranteed at the group rate of $98+tax
  • if additional rooms are needed beyond the block of 10, a request for additional rooms may be negotiated and based on current rates and availability
  • each individual must make their own reservation (call the local number above), request TMGA group rate, and guarantee it with a credit card
  • individuals may cancel up to 72 hrs prior to day of arrival without penalty (one night room charge plus tax), and should obtain cancellation number for reference

Thursday June 22 in Depot Town, Ypsilanti

Pre-dinner activities for early arrivals:

• Cruise Night - Ypsilanti’s Historic Depot Town is filled with classic cars from the first Thursday evening in June to the last Thursday evening in August 5pm until dark.
  • Automotive Heritage Museum (http://ypsiautoheritage.org/) Hours: Tuesday – Sunday: 1:00 to 4:00 PM, 100 East Cross St, Ypsilanti, Mi 48198, 734-482-5200) featured automotive stories are Chevrolet Corvair, Tucker, Hudson, Kaiser-Frazer, and General Motors Hydra-matic; all with Ypsilanti connections.

Dinner:  approx 6pm, casual
Sidetrack (known for burgers and beer, additional menu items)
http://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/
56 E Cross St
Ypsilanti, MI
734-483-1490

Fly out possibilities Friday & Saturday:
There are a number of ways we could combine these locations and all have very adequate runways and parking.  Arrangement can be made on day of fly out.  Non-flyers can also choose day activities from separate list.

KDET (Colman-Young, formerly Detroit City Airport).
KPCW (Erie-Ottawa Airport)at Port Clinton.  This would include lunch at the Tin Goose diner with optional museum tour.
KAZO (Kalamazoo Airport) Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum.  Could be lunch stop with choice of restaurants.
KOEB (Coldwater Airport).  Could be lunch stop before KAZO.
KYIP (Willow Run Airport).  B-24 Bomber plant was here and now has Yankee Air Museum.  Either fly or drive.  http://yankeeairmuseum.org/

Non-flyer activities:

Many activities in and around Ann Arbor (Check out the Ann Arbor Area Convention & Visitor's Bureau   https://www.visitannarbor.org/) include:

• UM art museum
  • UM Natural History museum -Nichols Arboretum
  • Matthaei Botanical Gardens -Hands On Museum (oriented to children)
  • Zingerman’s Deli and Bakehouse
  • Gerald Ford Presidential Library (https://fordlibrarymuseum.gov/)
  • State and local parks/recreational areas (https://www.metroparks.com/, http://www.michigan.gov/dnr)

Nearby, in Dearborn:

• 4 weeks later...

REMINDER - All interested attendees - the group rate at Comfort Inn is guaranteed only until May 23 (one week away).  Call for reservations at (734) 761-8838, request TMGA rate.  Other info as noted in previous post.

Possible car rental discount under discussion.

Please check/update your attendance info on the sign-up sheet.

UPDATE:  Comfort Inn has extended the advance reservation group discount until June 1.

2ND UPDATE:  Group rate available through Fri June 9.

Edited by AbbyLiskow
New info

• 3 weeks later...

Speaker for Midwest event - Saturday June 24

Randy Hotton, a local pilot and historian with extensive knowledge about the Willow Run Bomber Plant.

Drawing upon years of personal research and utilizing dozens of rarely-seen archival images, author, historian, and Yankee Air Museum pilot Randy Hotton will recount the fascinating story of the Willow Run Bomber Plant, World War II, and Detroit Industry. From FDR’s call for the manufacture of 50,000 airplanes a year, and the critical decision to involve the U.S. auto industry as a cornerstone of America’s “Arsenal of Democracy,” Capt. Hotton will chronicle the planning and “overnight” construction of the largest factory building in the world, the Willow Run Bomber Plant. It is the story of triumph and tragedy, nearly impossible wartime achievements, and how the men and women of 20th Century Detroit went to work and built the machines that won the War and saved the world.

Author of Willow Run (Images of Aviation)
In May 1940, Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt called for the production of 50,000 military airplanes. He then drafted the president of General Motors, William Knudsen, to mobilize industry in the United States. The automotive companies were called upon to produce a massive fleet of bombers, as well as tanks, trucks, guns, and engines. By the Willow Run, a sleepy little creek near Ypsilanti, Michigan, Ford Motor Company built the world’s most famous bomber factory, which was the ultimate manifestation of the automotive industry’s role in building armaments during World War II. By the spring of 1944, Willow Run was producing a four-engine B-24 bomber each hour on an assembly line. With tremendous assistance from the Yankee Air Museum, this book presents a pictorial history of Willow Run during World War II.

Bio:
Hotton is a retired Navy Captain who served as a pilot on P-3 Orion aircraft flying in Vietnam, and conducting anti-submarine patrols during the Cold War. He is a graduate of Michigan State University and Central Michigan University.  His father worked at Willow Run during WWII and he had had keen interest in Willow Run.  He has spent thousands of hours researching the Willow Run Bomber Plant and Willow Run Airport, how they were built, and how they functioned. In addition to serving as a Yankee Air Museum board member and lecturer, Capt. Hotton is a professional pilot with USA Jet Airlines, and also pilots the Museum’s B-17 Bomber and C-47 (DC-3) during flying season.

See also:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?315963-1/history-willow-run-bomber-plant

another video promoting fund-raising for Yankee Air Museum to preserve a portion of the bomber plant
https://player.vimeo.com/video/130015059

The team canceled the event.  Ultimately, the weather this spring has been troublesome; we had some local political issues regarding liability requirements; and, we ended up with very few planning to attend. 

Abby & Ken Mosley did an admirable job pulling together local options and a great program.   We're just sorry the event can't go forward.