Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2017 West Coast Fly-In Event

Steve Sliwa

Aug 24 - 27 | Camarillo, CA [KCMA]

We are planning our 9th Annual West Coast Fly-In Event.  This time we are going all the way to the coast using Camarillo Airport as our home base.  Gabriel Cioffi has agreed to be our host.

Camarillo airport has CAF museum and base of operations for SoCal based at the airport.  Additionally, there is a terrific restaurant based at the airport with many dining and lodging options nearby.  Some of the local activities could be the Ronald Reagan Museum, the beach, and trips along the beautiful coast.

More details will be posted on this thread as we develop activities for this event.  Please sign-up by navigating to Events > West FlyIn Sign-Up and list yourself.  If you aren't sure yet, just put yourself down as maybe so we can keep you updated.

Here are a few pictures to whet you appetite (click some to enlarge):

Airport:

CMA-2.jpg  

CMA-1.jpg

Airport Cafe:

Camarillo-Airport-Directions-Waypoint-Cafe.jpg  4954928619_cece2d2ef3_b.jpg

CAF Museum:

CAF-Socal-Wing.jpg

museumimg6.jpg

Scenery:

aerial_photography_ventura_4342.jpg

aerial_photography_ventura_4973.jpg

aerial_photography_ventura_4987.jpg

Ronald Reagan Museum:

Ronald-Reagan_Presidential-Library_aerial-photo_2596.jpg

California Condor Refuge:

california-condor-flying-12.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am not a current owner but am intending to come.  If I come to this event, could I get some rides in different types?  I want to learn as much as possible before I decide if this is for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Car rentals can be requested and reserved through Channel Island Aviation (next to Waypoint Cafe) by calling +1 (805) 987-1301. Either Hertz or Enterprise will deliver vehicle to FBO so it's ready when you arrive. The rate is $40 per day and they will try to do better if we have a good number of cars. 

I will have hotel info soon. 

Best, 
Gabriel

On 3/25/2017 at 8:48 AM, Jerry W. Blevins said:

I am not a current owner but am intending to come.  If I come to this event, could I get some rides in different types?  I want to learn as much as possible before I decide if this is for me.

It is quite common for potential owners to informally arrange flights in some of the aircraft that are in attendance.  There is likely to be two or three dealers of new aircraft in attendance for new aircraft as well (Phoenix, Pipistrel, Sundancer) and they generally have sign-up sheets for flights throughout the weekend.  The best thing is to check the sign-up sheet and send a note to those that have an aircraft in which you are interested so coordination can start even before you arrive.  BTW, I didn't see your name on the list.  You might want to sign-up, put it as a MAYBE for attendance, and then in the notes mention that your are looking for rides.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get a block of rooms reserved at the nearby Hampton Inn & Suites.

Here is a web page set up for signing up online:  link

Group Name:Touring Motor Glider Association

Group Code:TMG

Check-in:24-AUG-2017

Check-out:27-AUG-2017

Hotel Name:  Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo

Hotel Address:  50 W. Daily Drive, Camarillo, California  93010

Phone Number:805-419-8760

Gabriel

• 1 month later...

I am interested in acquiring a Pipistrel Sinus and trying to find out more about motor gliding.  What happens during a fly-in like this?  Are there seminars, lectures, vendors, etc.  Do you have a tentative schedule for each day?

Thanks,

Rick Hanson

Rick, I am buying a Pipistrel Sinus that will be delivered to me in September. It was originally due in June, but for various reasons delivery is delayed. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have that I can help with.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

We’re now six weeks out from the Western Fly-In and, once again, it’s shaping up to be a great event.

Western fly-ins have been held in Minden, Nevada and Cottonwood, Arizona. This year our event will move to Camarillo (CMA), California August 24 - 27. The site was selected because it’s a great airport in a great location - southern California, on the Pacific Ocean. Other attributes are that it’s within a reasonable striking distance for many TMG’s and a great cross country flight for others, and we have great local support from Gabriel Cioffi (Diamond pilot). If you are one of our overseas TMGA members, think about a West coast holiday!

Here are some things you need to know:

1. If you’re interested in attending, sign up ASAP in the Events tab (Yes, Probably, Maybe).

2. If you’re a Yes or a Probable, you should think about reserving a room at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We have a room block and special rate.

Group Name: Touring Motor Glider Association
Group Code: TMG
Check-in: 24-AUG-2017
Check-out: 27-AUG-2017
Hotel Name: Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo
Hotel Address: 50 W. Daily Drive Camarillo, California 93010
Phone Number: 805-419-8760

3. Rental Cars - Enterprise - Rental Cars - Enterprise - Car rentals can be requested and reserved through Channel Island Aviation (next to Waypoint Cafe) by calling +1 (805) 987-1301.  Either Herts or Enterprise will deliver vehicle to FBO so it's ready when you arrive.  The rate is $40 per day and they will try to do better if we have a good number of cars4.

4. There will be organized dinners Friday and Saturday, and suggestions for Thursday nights. More to come on this.

5. Flying Activities - Gabriel is organizing some great places to fly to for lunch.

6. Non-flying activities: a special tour of the Commemorative Air Force Museum; world class wine tasting areas; beach activities; Ventura Harbor; all Los Angeles basin activities one hour away (come to the event early, or stay afterwards). 

So, sign up and attend the 7th Western TMGA fly-in.

Some suggestions for your CMA fly in, might be:

1. Catalina's "Airport in the Sky" but tie downs are limited so a check with the airport manager with the number of planes expected, would be a wise idea.  It also requires flying through the LAX TCA but can be done without transponders, VFR, but would be a nice idea to have them.  There is a VFR routing directly over the center of the airport.  Maybe a pilots meeting prior to departure would be a good idea as well.
  2. Santa Paula Airport, but on a Sunday, as that's when all the 'old time' aircraft are out in the sun and hangers are open.  A great walk around airport for pilots.  Santa Paula is very close in air miles to CMA so maybe too short a trip.  But again, check with the airport manager for parking.
  3. Big Bear Airport but may be too high an altitude (DA) for that time of year but a very pretty flight and most will be able to make it "engines off" as from CMA there is mountain wave all the way there.

Note:  I'm a high time power pilot but low time (solo only) glider pilot so my ideas may be skewed and therefore not apply.  Either way, I'll drive out to see the planes as I'm still interested in flying!

Have fun, be safe,
Hal Dennis

You beat me to the punch Hal.  I am starting to work the details and just shared this with Richard and Steve:

I'll be putting together a full list soon.  Everyone, please let me know what you think so far.

BREAKFAST Friday- Sunday recommendation is the WAYPOINT CAFE. Food is excellent and it's a nice clean place. 

THURSDAY: CAMARILLO Town Center just north of the airport 
DINNER:  Lure Fish House (many other restaurants also available and in the same place) 

Friday
Lunch: Fly out to Santa Inez (IZA) and have lunch at the Vineyard House.  Plenty of cabs for the short 5 min ride. Also, the town of Solvang is less than 8 minutes by cab. If you haven't been there, it's well worth the visit. 

Dinner: WOOD RANCH 
Very close to airport and hotel 

FLY OUT to Mojave for lunch or Bakersfield Municipal (Rocket Shop cafe) with good soaring along the way.  Let me know which airport you think is best. L45 is non-towered and has a great cafe. Mojave Cafe is OK and it's a towered airport. 

I'm thinking perhaps we will use the hotel banquet room and have the food catered. I need to finalize this asap.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

I like the lists.  We might consider making the call on Saturday lunch at the pilot's meeting on Saturday based upon weather and interests of the group.  I'd lean toward Bakersfield myself.

Looks like fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest airusa
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, Jerry W. Blevins said:

Joe Kulbeth plans to be there with a SunDancer and you will be more than welcome to go flying with me.

559-960-7873

N10VR 01.JPG

We’re now three weeks away from the 7th annual West Coast TMGA Fly-In in beautiful Camarillo, CA.

We selected Camarillo (CMA) because of the typically great weather, the size of the airport, its location to many TMG’ers, the many places to fly to for lunch, excellent soaring within a reasonable flight time, and for the many great side trips for those not flying.

• If you haven’t signed up, please do so ASAP. Remember, the event is open to everyone with an interest in touring motor gliders. There will be several types of TMG’s there and everyone is always ready, willing, and able to talk about their machines.
  • We’ve added columns in the Event sign-up spreadsheet for attendance at the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday dinners. We’ve got to give the restaurants hard numbers, so if you’ve already signed up, please go in/back in to add the dinner information.

Local coordinator Gabriel Cioffi has lined up some great trips for us. The schedule is as follows:

Thursday, August 24th

• Arrival at CMA. Land and tie down in the Overflow Parking area.  See diagrams, below.
  • Dinner: Lure Fish House, Camarillo (259 W. Ventura St., Camarillo; 805.388.5556). Pay at the restaurant but advise on the website if you’re planning on joining us. Dinner at 7:00 pm.

Friday, August 25th

Breakfast:  We suggest the Waypoint Cafe (325 Durley Ave., Camarillo; 805.388.2535). Voted nbr. 2 of 156 restaurants in Camarillo for breakfast/lunch.

Note: This restaurant is VERY busy - and especially so on weekends - and they are accommodating us with our own area. To make this work, if you intend to have breakfast here, we suggest you arrive no later than 8:00 am.

Briefing/Meet & Greet:  9:00 am; location: Waypoint Cafe - patio (reserved for us)

Fly-Out: Santa Ynez Airport (KIZA); lunch at the Vineyard House (an early 1900’s historic home renovated into a marvelous restaurant). Pay at the restaurant but advise on the website if you’re planning on joining us. There’s a fixed price lunch available for $22 including the great food, tax, tip, and a soda. 

For anyone driving, it’s about a 1:45 hour trip each way; there’s the opportunity to visit the cities of Solvang and Santa Barbara, which are directly along the route - both are fascinating.

Dinner:  Ottavio’s Italian Restaurant. Fabulous Italian food; 1620 Ventura Blvd.; 805.482.3810.

Saturday, August 26th

Breakfast:  We suggest the Waypoint Cafe (325 Durley Ave., Camarillo; 805.388.2535).

Briefing/Meet & Greet:  9:00 am; location: Waypoint Cafe - patio (reserved for us)

Fly-Out: Aqua Dolce Airport (L70). We’ll be joining other (power) pilots at the airports monthly BBQ. $7 for hot dogs, fixings, soda, etc.

Dinner:  Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill; (1101 Daily Drive, Camarillo; 805.482.1202). 7:00 pm reservations. Pay at the restaurant but advise on the website if you’re planning on joining us.

For those not flying there’s plenty of worthwhile sites to visit, including wineries, the Ronald Reagan Library, Ventura Harbor, etc.  

Sunday, August 27th

Breakfast:  We suggest the Waypoint Cafe (325 Durley Ave., Camarillo; 805.388.2535).

Briefing/Meet & Greet:  9:00 am; location:  location: Waypoint Cafe - patio (reserved for us)

Departure:  about 10:00 am

Hotel

Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo. We have a room block and special rate.
Group Name: Touring Motor Glider Association
Group Code: TMG
Check-in: 24-AUG-2017
Check-out: 27-AUG-2017
Hotel Address: 50 W. Daily Drive Camarillo, California 93010
Phone Number: 805-419-8760

Rental Cars

Car rentals (Enterprise) can be requested and reserved through Channel Island Aviation (next to Waypoint Cafe) by calling +1 (805) 987-1301.  Either Hertz or Enterprise will deliver vehicle to FBO so it's ready when you arrive.  The rate is $40 per day and they will try to do better if we have a good number of cars. They will have your car at their FBO station, which is next door to the Waypoint Café.

Things to know:

CMA is a secure airport and authorization is required for vehicular entry.  We’re still working on this and will update the attendees before your arrival.

We’ll be using Gil Scott’s hangar (A1) as an on-airport staging area. After arrival, tie down in the referenced area shown on the map and come on over for a cold water and a Welcome.

Aiport Maps:

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 4.50.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 4.52.19 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

If you are flying in, the code for the gate to enter Waypoint from the ramp is  the CMA tower frequency 128.20 (12820).  You can also drive to the  WayPoint cafe and access the ramp by walking through the cafe, out to the patio where you will see the same pedestrian gate.