Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Ximango canopy loss in flight

Guy Wood

IMG_2186.JPG

June 20, 2017 The canopy opened after gear retraction at  200 to 300 feet AGL.  With full power I was able to make 270 degree left turn pattern to land on other runway, Wind was 10 gusting to 15 between both runways. No one hurt, canopy pieces and our hats were recovered from grass next to runway where problem occurred. Landed with only canopy frame in open position, no other damage to aircraft.  This is an AMT-100.  Is canopy frame the same as the AMT 200?  This will be a problem part to find.  Any AMT 100 or 200 aircraft in area that I could look at to see if frames are the same?  I am located in Eau Claire WI (KEAU). Any help on this would be appreciated.  Guy Wood, gjwood5@yahoo.com, 715-829-6024.

No, both latches seemed good; pushed in full to hold front edge of canopy and pilot side back-up latch were done.  As always, I double check both at run-up before Take-off.  As an aircraft product engineer (Purdue BS Mech engr), ATP rated and CFI-AI, I take the latching process and verification check seriously.  Mechanic and I will be doing full review next week.  Thanks for the interest, Guy

• 1 month later...

One challenge for the canopy verification process for the Ximango is that the latches can be down and locked but they might not engage the locking mechanism.  I am sure that Guy verified like I do by trying to push up on the canopy.  I confess that one time I had the latches in the locked position but was able to push up on the canopy.  Canopy loss was averted.  My model is AMT-200S and I think there was a change in the mechanism.