Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

handeling?

Steve

I've been flying a single place Atlas 10M motor glider (448lbs) that is quite light on the controls.  Have also flown a Blanik, K-8, Scheibe Super Falke and I'm curious how the Lambada/Sun Dancer handles as I don't want something heavy on the controls?

Guest airusa

The SunDancer is very lite on the controls especially at slower soaring speeds.  With power on to cruse cross country one will find that forward trim is required to keep the nose in level flight with hands off trim. As you approach Vne of 119 Kts, it may require added hand trim to keep level flight. When approaching the upper speeds, above 100  Kts, you will experience aileron stick movement resistance due to the harder air flow over the airlerons. The lateral movement of the stick stiffens somewhat but it acts like cruse control and helps keep the wings in level flight. We need to remember that the basic design of the SunDancer is for gliding and soaring and not faster cross country traveling. So the controls application for soaring is perfect. And can be adjusted with added ballast to change slower speed characteristics. I hope this helps. Call me if you like. 559 960 7873 

Sometimes you just want to fly cross country to see the monuments in Momument Valley, this picture should be a motivator to deversify between glider and Touring Motor Glider.  Tour in the morning and soar with the Eagles in the afternoon.  Way up high!!!!  

569098e452c54_MonumentValley.jpg.fb4970c242efcf121411892abc1cac23.jpg

Airusa,

Soaring is the primary goal...  then local flights with cross country 3rd on the list.  My Falke was ok in the thermals but a truck to drive, sounds like the Sun Dancer is more say like a Blanik L-13? 

Will you be at Oshkosh, I'm in NE, perhaps you are flying through? Had a Sun Dancer stop at our airport coming from Minden NV on the way back home to New York and thought it looked like a nice plane.  

Steve

Steve,

I have an 06 Lambada with tricycle gear. Stick pressure is very light, but the pedals are a little stiff. This could be because they also steer the nose wheel. I got used to it after just a few flights and have never regretted buying this aircraft. Best thing I ever did.  

Randy Newberry 

Randy,

What is your aileron/flap/spoiler set up, as I understand it is all incorporated into one on models older than 2017?  I'm looking for a soaring/thermal plane with cross country flying secondary.  How much time do you spend soaring with your plane? Have you had a chance to fly/see the Sun Dancer and what is your impression compared to the Lambada.  Also I assume you can feather the prop, but think there are some props on Lambada/ Sun Dancer planes that are variable pitch, do I understand that correctly?  

Thanks for your response..

Best, Steve