Jump to content
Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

IFR Training / Motorgliders

Recommended Posts


I am a Private Pilot Glider, Single-Engine Land.  I am working in my instrument rating.  I have been reading the FAR trying to figure out the answer to the following questions, but maybe someone here has some experience with this:

1) Can I get 40 of the 50 hours of required non IFR cross country experience in a motorglider?  Here are my current thoughts:

FAR 61.65(d)(1) states that 50 hours must be cross-country as pilot in command, but does not specify that it must be in an airplane (so I assume this just means aircraft which can be a glider).  It however does specifically state that 10 of the hours must be in an airplane (which can not be a motorglider). Specifically, it states:



(d) Aeronautical experience for the instrument-airplane rating. A person who applies for an instrument-airplane rating must have logged:

  • (1) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which 10 hours must have been in an airplane; and



2) Once I have my airplane-IFR rating, would I be able to fly a motorglider that is properly equipped under IFR?




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cross country time can be completed in a motor glider. Flying a motor glider in IMC conditions can be done as well as long as the aircraft and pilot meet the requirements for IFR and or IMC conditions. There are Motor-gliders that are properly equipped such as Xamingo and IFR can be done to include IMC.

Joe Kulbeth

Aeronautical & Industrial Resources USA.        AIRUSA
Lambada and Samba Distributor Other Services

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now