Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Which new 8.33 VHF COM ?

huv

The old Dittel in our G109B is due for replacement due to new 8.33 kHz requirements, poor intercom and reception problems due to squelch troubles.

We have considered the Funke ATR833 models, the Dittel KRF2, Becker 6201 and even the Garmin GTR225 although that one is already deemed to expensive. They have slightly different user interfaces and displays, but all perform similarly according to specs on paper, they have adjustable intercom and dual watch and other useful functions. Since I simply cannot find any independent reviews of any of them, I am inclined to go for the cheapest model, the Funke ATR833S. It is made by a reputable company (as are the others), it is developed from the popular ATR500 (of which I also cannot find any reviews), and it seems to have a large enough display and a reasonable user interface (at least it does not rely on the same bezel for adjusting volume and for selecting frequency as one of the other models do).

I would be grateful to hear from anyone with some experience with these or similar 8.33 capable VHF COM sets.

USA is very much an ICAO country also :-) but yes, I am based in Europe where the 8.33 kHz requirements are coming (because Europe lacks a supernational VHF frequency allocating body).

I guess I should ask in a more European-weighted forum ...

I fitted a Funke ATR833 to replace my ATR500 14 months ago.  The 833 radio has more functions and 100 frequency memory slots, although programming all of the vacant memories without a data cable is a pain. With a data cable, programming can be done at your leisure using Excel or other spreadsheet, to create a CSV file, which can then be squirted into the radio using a laptop computer.  The quality of transmission and reception on on the ATR833 radio is excellent.  I particularly like the dual frequency watch facility,  and being able to listen out on the standby frequency, whilst still able to communicate on the main frequency.  I do not regret my purchase