Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Making Dynon Skyview Classic ADS-B 2020 Legal

Dave

Has anyone in the group upgraded their Dynon Skyview Classic (non-touch screen) ADS-B system to be 2020 compliant? Describe your experience or your plans to do so.  Happy New Year to all. (Too darn cold around here to go flying for me.)

Dave Glosser

I have the 2020 compliant GPS source in my Dynon system as well as the dual band ADS-B receiver.  I lucked out as the 2020 compliant GPS source had just started shipping when the avionics were being installed in my Phoenix.  I took up Dynon on their trade-in offer for the dual band ADS-B receiver when it came out earlier this (last) year.  The install was not very difficult, except for getting at the awkward location of the original receiver, and having to drill a couple of new holes for the mounting screws on the bottom of the glove compartment, as the new receiver had different physical dimensions than the old one.

I STRONGLY recommend that you upgrade to be fully 2020 ADS-B IN and OUT compliant.  This is a no brainer if you already have a Dynon system, given how economical the upgrades are.

Also, don't forget to install the latest firmware updates for the Dynon transponder, which fixes the problem with the transponder going into ground mode when you are soaring at low speeds with the motor off.