Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Scott Renne

Is anyone out there flying with an LX Nav S80 or S100? I am trying to figure out how to load my Pipistrel Sinus Max polar into the unit. The instructions say I have to use the SeeYou program to calculate values "a, b, and c" - coefficients of an equation for the polar. I tried downloading the SeeYou program, but apparently it does not work on Mac's.

Is anyone running SeeYou that I could give a few polar points to and get back the a,b,c coefficients?

Would also love to hear anyone's experience with the LX Nav S80/100.

Thanks, Scott

• 9 months later...

For anyone flying a Pipistrel Sinus Max (long wing) with an LXNav S80, I have finally obtained the a, b, c variables necessary to enter this aircraft’s polar into the S80. There are lots of polars in the S80 as it comes from the factory, but not for the Sinus. LXNav tells me future releases of the software will contain the Sinus polar. Without the correct profile the unit will not be able to compute Speed-to-Fly and Netto functions properly. The values for these variables are:

a: 2,2
b:-3,7
😄2,85

I obtained these by sending the polar data provided to me by Pipistrel (which I earlier posted elsewhere on this site) to LXNav in Slovenia and having them compute the values. I recommend that anyone using the values I am posting here to get the LXNav software update when it becomes available as the numbers could change as LXNav works with Pipistrel to verify that the polar used for the generating the numbers I provide here is the data that Pipistrel approves.

I use an S80 in my G109, programmed the variables a couple of years ago by looking at the Polar in the manual and figuring out the mathmatical translation but you solved it by just asking LXNav which works even better (no math required).  Sorry I did not see your post last year.  Overall I am satisfied with the S80 except that I bought the optional Artificial Horizon feature that they were unable to get working because of the engine vibrations which interfered with their hardware/software combination and Paul Remde at Cumulus refused to credit me even after LXNav admitted they were unable to make it work.  Paul wanted me to uninstall the instrument, ship it at my expense to him for deprogramming, ship it at my expense back to me, then incur the cost of installation again which together would have cost more than what I paid for the instrument (another example of what Opioids are doing to America, definitely cannot recommend him).

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Enthousiasts,

I am considering the purchase of a Pipistrel sinus nose-wheel or tailwheel or a Phoenix U 15 only in tailwheel, is there anyone who could help me with the right/important considerations  , i will fly mainly on grassfields.

ThaNK YOU

cees willemse

• 3 months later...

Have co-owned a Phoenix U-15 for about 4 years and am very happy with it. Flew it back and forth from Philadelphia, PA to Chico, CA  in April/May with no problems. Fuel consumption was under 4 gallons/hour. Average ground speed out and back was about 110 kt at 4,700-800 rpm. Operating from high elevation airfields at mtow was no problem. The plane has no ground loop tendencies. It soars about like a Grob 103...not a world beater but quite respectable and pleasant. Changing from short tips to full span takes about 2 minutes. Note that the wheel pants are designed for low drag and have relatively little clearance above runway. I like to fly from a grass field, but  it has to be well maintained and mowed to protect the wheel pants. I have no experience with the Pipistrel. Photo is of our crossing Lake Tahoe from Minden, Nevada side of Sierra Nevada mountains towards Chico, California at about 4,400 meters MSL (on oxygen).

IMG_2210.JPG