Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Woodcomp Prop Pitch?

Jefferson

Does anyone have a recommendation for prop pitch for the Woodcomp prop?

Pitch angle?

Measured 154mm from tip, or other?

Resulting static rpm?

Thanks!

Hi, Jeff -

Are you adjusting the original prop or replacing it with a new one that needs an initial adjustment?

If it's the former you may remember that there are washers under the center, main bolt that adjust the pitch when the prop is unfeathered. If I recall correctly, it's more of a subjective tradeoff of takeoff vs cruise power that's subjectively determined given your density altitude. I didn't write it all down because KMLB and my airport are close to sea level, so I just used Jim's settings. Perhaps others who live at higher altitudes might have more advice on how many washers they ended up with.

In case you're dealing with a new prop, at least I can provide the manual that Jim gave me (see attached). It's not complicated, but I might not want to do it without an A&P or LSRM present. By the way, don't worry about the 500 hour "send the prop back to Woodcomp" section. Jim said it doesn't apply as long as the propeller is properly inspected during the annual.

Good luck with the adjustments!

Ed 

Varia 160-2-RN Manual.pdf

Thanks very much Ed. The manual tells it all. I had set it at 16 degrees 50mm from tip, as they suggested in the manual for a 912, but mine is a 912S, with 20 more HP, and it wanted to overspeed with 16 degrees. With a 912s the prop needs a higher pitch, perhaps 17-18 degrees, in order to limit the TO max rpm to 5400-5800 rpm.

Hi Jeff,

We just mounted a rebuilt prop on a Phoenix, and I also measured my pitch.

I use the old settings of measuring 16cm from the tip.  My prop pitch at 16cm position is 17 degrees.  On the other Phoenix we used 14 degrees for better climb performance.

At 5000'MSL I see 5000rpm static at the beginning of the take off roll, 5200rpm on the climb at 60kts, and at cruise 5000rpm yields 110kts TAS with the 17 degree pitch.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim, and everyone please note that Jim has told me that there is a typo in his response. The pitch  measurement should be taken at a distance from the blade tip of 16cm, or 160mm, or 6 5/16”.

• 3 months later...