Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

LSA (Glider) Repairman Course April 22 - May 7 2019

TeriStar

For anyone wanting to perform light sport glider/TMG annuals or repair, consider signing up for the 17-day Rainbow Aviation LSRM in Corning, California.  We need enough glider/TMG folks to ensure that Rainbow will hold the 2-day glider add-on for that class period.  I believe there are 3 of us already signed up.  Course is not cheap and not short, BUT if you want to do your own annuals & maintenance, or do them for others, this is the way to go.  This also provides a very easy stepping stone to obtain an A&P license.  Brian and Carol Carpenter are the best (and exclusive) training facility for these ratings.  They spend 15 days teaching light sport aircraft and then 2 days teaching the glider specific material.  Brian is a wizard on the Rotax 912 series.  Dave and I are planning to fly our Phoenix over 4,000 miles (round trip) to be there!  Would love to meet other TMGA owners while we are in that area, or fly along with us from Atlanta CTJ to Corning, and return Corning to Princeton  39N via CTJ.  If interested, don't delay, check out the website to sign up for class: https://rainbowaviation.com/

If anyone has a hangar available near Corning for that period, please contact me.  Thanks, Terry

I was an attendee in Oct, 2017 and also attended the add on glider training. The course consisted of 15 days of classroom lecture In the mornings and hands-on training in their workshop/hanger in the afternoons, then two additional days of glider-specific work. The curriculum was prepared by the FAA and covers lots of regs (Carol is an FAA regulations guru). The course is rigorous and the teachers are serious in their approach, and their combined knowledge is awesome.  My class had no days off. There were daily written tests and  hands on exams in the hangar/workshop. 

Corning CA is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and the airport hasn’t changed much since WW2. Contact me whenever you get closer to your course date and I will fill you in on how to survive the 17 days.

Tom Camilli
tcamilli@me.com

The photos below are of the Corning airport.

A55FA442-BF40-44AE-A37E-CFA94D251D59.jpeg

9E340D49-22B2-4E04-B53A-DCE857556639.jpeg

AC823F36-A472-4EBE-86FA-0ACA476763F0.jpeg

907C31BD-74D5-4851-97AE-3DDD715F5C85.jpeg

October 2017 was the last time the 2-day glider add-on was offered.  If Rainbow offers the course next spring, a year and a half will have elapsed between courses, so if you have any interest at all in the glider module you need to contact Rainbow, because they only schedule the add-on modules if there is enough demand.  If you miss the next course, there is no way to know how many years you may have to wait for another.

• 1 month later...

This is from Carol Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation regarding a glider add-on to the maintenance and repair class:

Hi Folks, 

We are planning to offer the Weight Shift and Glider add on Module May 8-9, 2019 and May 10-11, 2019 pending demand.
If you are interested in this workshop- check these dates and email a confirmation if you would be able to attend. 

I am creating a "firm" list for these dates and the workshop is dependent on interest. We will run the workshop for as few as 8 attendees. 

So it is important to confirm - and then save the dates if you are interested in attending. 
Warm Regards, 

Carol Carpenter 

Rainbow Aviation Services
N 930 Marguerite Ave 
Corning, CA 96021
530/824-0644

• 4 weeks later...

Terry and I are set up to attend the Rainbow Aviation LSA Repair/Maint. course in April/May 2019 with the glider add-on. All things being equal we are planning to fly our Phoenix from its winter base in Atlanta to the Corning, CA course site. Would appreciate flight route experience of others as we go about our own flight planning. Thanks, Dave